Off road nav solution with tablets?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks Warrior Jeep. Anyone else that wants to give it a try, search for the free Magellan TRX app on iTunes and Google Play. It's free to try full features for another month or so.

Welcome to Wayalife. Please read the forum rules about soliciting products. If you wish to be a paid advertiser please contact the forum owners Wayalife and/or carsoncindy

IS SOLICITING ALLOWED?
No. Soliciting is not allowed unless you are a paying advertiser of WAYALIFE.com.

trailraider

Magellan eXplorist TRX7 is on the way! Should be good times, Magellan even offered to give me a crash (no pun intended) course on it.

Stay tuned

its a fun little toy, have you got yours yet?

I haven't played with any of the preloaded maps as they don't have any for Canada.

Jrainsberger

I have used Gaia gps and it works great. My last trip I was able to take a paper trail map and use mapwarper.net to geo reference the map and use it in Gaia.

utiadam

LOSER
I just started using Leadnav on iPhone but it is available on iPad as well. So far it's been good. I might get an external gps receiver to connect to it as well.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm not 100% sure about their first season, but I know they used Hema Maps during their second season in Central America. Since they're also one of their sponsors, they'll probably keep using their maps when they go down to South America. I've never tried their maps, so I can't really vouch for them, but it sounds like their maps are very popular in Austrailia (where Hema is based).

Personally, I'd recommend using Backcountry Navigator. I'm not sure if it's available for iphone, but I use the android app on the trail. They have a lot of different topo map sources that you can download for offline use, and it has all the features of a standalone hiking GPS unit.

Hema have their own dedicated tablet that has 2 different built in GPS receivers and the ability to add an external one. They also do an iPad app. In Aus they are considered a must have for outback travel. I've never personally used one but I've been looking into it and have seen it in action.

Do they sell them in the U.S. ?

I just started using Leadnav on iPhone but it is available on iPad as well. So far it's been good. I might get an external gps receiver to connect to it as well.

Thanks for the opinion Adam! Do they have a lot of the trails here in az or is t easy to navigate the trails on the app? Very interested in it but I just need some more convincing! Hahaha

mo0s3

No one has mentioned Lowrance...they are the standard for the off road racing community...

I had a Lowrance as well and I have to tell you the 19.99 I spent on the Gaia app is much easier to swallow [emoji4]

utiadam

LOSER
Thanks for the opinion Adam! Do they have a lot of the trails here in az or is t easy to navigate the trails on the app? Very interested in it but I just need some more convincing! Hahaha

They don't have pre mapped trails that i know of. My buddy has been mapping them manually. If you're local i can share them to your phone.

GoldenJK

Another vote for the Gaia GPS app. App costs $19.99 but turns your phone or iPad into a full GPS with topo, terrain, satellite, and other maps. Way easier to use than my garmin GPS or nuvi 500. Only need cell service when you want to download a map. I keep maps of nearly all of colorado on my phone/iPad so I don't forget before heading out. App drains phone battery pretty fast but not a big deal in car and with a little effort it can last two+ days when hiking.

Top Bottom