Ome 2 inch lift questions

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I installed my OME 2" lift myself a month ago... birthday present from my wife (gotta' love her).

Initially, it gave me 3". I just measured it and it has settled to 2 1/4".

The handling (which, admittedly, is incredibly subjective), is improved markedly over the stock suspension. It's my DD, so I was looking for improved road handling while still being good for back, unimproved roads. It no longer rolls in corners or dives on hard braking. On washboard roads, before the lift, it would set up this harmonic vibration that would scramble your insides. Now, it's all but gone. I still feel the bumps, but not the vibration.

I had about 8,000 miles on my Sahara Unlimited when I installed it. I had never done any work on my cars before, but it looked manageable, so I went for it. It took about six hours, but that included about an hour of searching for tools in the garage, walking to neighbor's to borrow tools a couple of times, staring at the thing and figuring out how I was going to do something when the obvious way wouldn't work. I probably actually worked for five hours. I washed the underside of my Jeep the day before and let it dry overnight. Even so, I think I had some of every mud puddle I ever drove through on me by the time I finished.

Installation notes:
  1. As with many projects, a second person will make it easier. At the very least, they can hand you tools while your under the Jeep so you don't have to crawl out, again and again.
  2. A floor jack and four jack stands make it much easier. I would put two stands to support the frame and use the other two for the axle.
  3. Even at 8,000 miles, some of the bolts were a real bear to break loose. A breaker bar was huge help.
  4. Installing the new springs was a tight fit. I did not have a spring compressor. In the end, I put the jack off center on the axle and had my teenager stand on the brake disc. It gave enough droop to get the spring in. To make this work, I had to disconnect the connectors that held the brake lines in place. By doing this, I did not have to disconnect the brake lines themselves.
  5. When I dropped the rear axle, the breather hose disconnected from the axle. Luckily I noticed it and reconnected it when I was done.
  6. I could not get my torque wrench on some of the bolts. I just cranked them down as tight as I could.

Hope this helps.

Why would you ever use a spring compressor on a solid axle vehicle? Those things are sketchy and I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had.

Petzl88

That's my point. If you remove the axle side track bar bolt it will drop to the floor. It takes longer to go rent a spring compressor from an auto parts store than it does to remove the track bar and drop the axle.

I have never used one so I can't comment on how dangerous they are, but I can only imagine. All of that stored energy coming loose and whacking you on the forehead?

Bluewillys

I didn't need a spring compressor and didn't have to drop the axle either. Pry bars are a boy's best friend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom