On Board Air or CO2

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I had the Viair 450C with 2.5g tank. I tried to air up four 32" tires from 15psi and it took 25 minutes to get to 30psi. It then took another 30 minutes to do my friends, same specs. That was in my grand Cherokee a few years ago.

I have the ARB twin in my JKU and it smokes the Viair. One of the best investments thus far.

My Viair 450 airs up my 37" tires fine. The ARB is nice though.

scull20

I've got an ARB twin mounted under the hood on the MORE mount. No issues thus far and puts out a crap load of air.

Just as a side note, you're not going to be able to run air tools that are going to require a constant steady supply of air (I.e. Grinder, air drill). However, I've had no issues running an impact to break lug nuts free, or using the air blower attachment to clean out the interior using just the ARB twin and a 25 foot hose.

A supplemental tank isn't going to be terribly effective for airing up tires but depending on the size, will be able to take the edge off for some air tools.

The power tank will shine with constant duty air tools but will need to be refilled from time to time

JoeB-JKURX

Viair 400PA

I was going for the 450 when I read an article in JP mag. It said that the 400 had almost twice the CFM as the 450 (the 400 is rated at a 33% duty cycle and the 450 at 100%). They were concerned (as I was) that the 400 would shut off (thermal overload) before their tires were full. Try as they would, they never got to a thermal cutoff. I just have a bag unit (compressor/accessories in the bag) and I do need to raise the hood and hook up leads to the battery (takes less than a minute). I can air up all 4 tires (35s@10psi-30psi) in about 10-15 minutes. I have used it several times to help friends air up (37s-38s) and have never hit the thermal cutoff. One thing I really like about the 400PA is that it automatically shuts off at 150 psi which means I never have to touch the on-off switch after I start until I am finished. I'm looking for a tank about 2 gallons to take along so that I can use my air impacts on the trail (probably use the tank only when I need to use the impacts). Another plus for the Viair is that it was pretty inexpensive ($150). It's probably been used well over 100 times and still works/looks like new (need to check the filter now and again).

Top Bottom