On Board Air Questions

hlax2525

I am starting to put together a list of parts I am going to order when I start doing the mods to my jeep. We will be starting them in about September hopefully, so I am starting to put money aside for that now. One of the things is On board air. Obviously due to the fact I will need to air up after trails, and eventually for lockers when an axle upgrade is due (Sport model so possibly only rear, no sense in upgrading the dana 30). I am also looking into putting an air horn off of a fire truck on the jeep, just for those special people who decide to do something stupid on the road and just for fun. In regards to that with the on board air- can i just run a compressor to the horn and run it like that, such as when i flip the rocker switch for the compressor on, i will be able to honk the air horn, or do i need to get a tank to hold air and then turn the compressor on when the tank is low. I am unsure about this, so i figured I would see if anybody does this.
I have been looking around and ARB sells an OBA compressor for about 150 and Viar sells a similar compressor with a 2 gallon tank for around the same price. I know ARB is the better way to go, but do I need the tank?
Any input will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

pvanweelden

yes, you need a tank for lockers and for an air horn. you need the volume of the tank, because the compressor will not be able to produce the pressure needed immediately.

hlax2525

yes, you need a tank for lockers and for an air horn. you need the volume of the tank, because the compressor will not be able to produce the pressure needed immediately.

So does it make more sense to go the arb or viar route, if the difference is only like 20 bucks I would rather go quality over price because it will probably be used for lockers hopefully in the future. Also any ideas on where to mount the tank, i know the compressor will be under the hood, but where can I get the tank to fit.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If you have the 3.8 engine you can get a 2 gallon tank and the mounting brackets to fit it between the engine and the radiator with brackets from Brett Woods of Jeep Swag. I had a nice OBA kit I got from him including the tank and two in can air couplers on my old JK.

hlax2525

If you have the 3.8 engine you can get a 2 gallon tank and the mounting brackets to fit it between the engine and the radiator with brackets from Brett Woods of Jeep Swag. I had a nice OBA kit I got from him including the tank and two in can air couplers on my old JK.

I have the 3.8 in the 2011- you have any pictures of where you mounted the tank? I was trying to figure out where to mount it as I don't want to take up trunk space

StrizzyChris

Can't comment on the air horn, because I've never ran one but you don't need a tank to run lockers with the ARB compressor.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks, that looks perfect, for the small price difference, should I get the arb and then a tank or is the viar sufficient?

I would go with ViAir. To be honest I would get the complete kit from Brett Woods. I didn't at first and went to him to finish the parts for the complete install. If I was going that route again I would save myself the headache AND some cash and go with his kit the first time around. Check out his online store and you can make the call for yourself.

hlax2525

I would go with ViAir. To be honest I would get the complete kit from Brett Woods. I didn't at first and went to him to finish the parts for the complete install. If I was going that route again I would save myself the headache AND some cash and go with his kit the first time around. Check out his online store and you can make the call for yourself.

Thanks for the input

If you are just using the compressor for filling tires and running lockers you do not need a tank. I have the arb twin mounted under passenger seat and works perfect, but in 2011 you can mount the twin under the hood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

hlax2525

If you are just using the compressor for filling tires and running lockers you do not need a tank. I have the arb twin mounted under passenger seat and works perfect, but in 2011 you can mount the twin under the hood.

It will be for airing up and air horn at the moment, air lockers later on maybe

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the arb twin mounted under passenger seat and works perfect, but in 2011 you can mount the twin under the hood.

Here is what it looks like for a 2011 under the hood. This is my set up and I love it!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392082095.119303.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Rottenbelly

I did the single arb for just running my lockers. Did the Viair dual 480c with 2.5 gallon tank for tires and air tools.
The single arb wouldnt run a air horn of that size. The Viairs would. I can air up my tire from 12 to 30 psi in a minute each with the viair. The arb took about 3 + minutes.

Beyrgut

On a semi related note, for those running a the Dynomax Comp exhaust, would it be safe to mount the compressor and possibly tank where the stock muffler was.

StrizzyChris

If you fab up some kind of skid to deflect debris and prevent damage off ledges, and I don't see why not. You'll just want to avoid fording any streams or deep puddles.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
He lives in FL so I doubt he's going over any ledges down there. I'd just make sure she's sealed up nice and tight and you should be fine.

Top Bottom