Opinions on AEV's DualSport XT 2.5"

steve_r2

On a 2012, your front drive shaft will get damaged on the exhaust cross over IF you are running shocks that are too long. This includes any 2.5" kit that comes with shocks intended to offer a greater amount of droop.

Please, offering sound advice regarding costs, what you get with your money and what you may or may not actually need are far from what I would call "hate". If you're happy with what you chose to buy, more power to you. It's your money and you should spend it however you see fit.
Sorry Eddie,
Maybe wrong terminology there.....but there are people who like and dislike for various reasons/thoughts. That's what I was trying to convey

FireWire79

Look into Rancho 2" sport with the 9000 shocks for around 400 bucks to run 33" tires. Save 600 bucks for other mods.

This seems to be one of the best kits you can get for the money. You can get it with Rancho 9000s, new springs for the front, and spacers to level it out. Plus the miscellaneous braketry. All this for approx $400.

A great deal, considering that the shocks are approx $100 each. You'll be able to clear 33s with no trimming, and 35s with fender trimming.

PJScullyJr

Well I have to say.. I got what I asked for… People’s opinions and I appreciate them..

I completely understand peoples love/hate thing for different products…

its like Redsox vs. Yankees fans… :)

I will defiantly take into consideration what people have shared and continue my search out for what I think will suit my needs and budget.

Sent from my Z10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Some things you should know if you are set on the AEV 2.5 kit.

They provide a rear track bar bracket and new track bar. This track bar is a POS. Mine bent after one outing. I have heard of this happening to others as well. I upgraded my rear track bar to a rustys adjustable.....also junk but its what was availible at the time.

They provide no front track bar and since on a 2 door this lift gets around 4 inches of lift your axle will be terribly off center. It was enough to bother me to want to add a JKS track bar.

It comes with no replacement sway links. The fronts get a set of brackets to make them long enough and the rear doesn't get anything and with shorter links the sway bar is at a pretty bad angle. Having said that, I havn't had any issues with the rear yet.

I havn't had any issues with my drive shafts YET.

I do have the control arm drop brackets and while yes they do make the ride more comfortable, I have beaten the hell out of them and the bottom of the control arms too.

Last edited:

Rideski

Scully,

I just installed the AEV XT 2.5 lift on my 2013 JKU back in October. I am currently running Dick Cepek Mud Country 33's - which I ran prior to the lift kit being installed. After every run I was re-installing my fenders from the tire rub. I haven't cut the fenders yet but I know that would have alieviated the rub (therefore you can easily run the 33's stock as others have mentioned). I will be going to 35's this season (budget willing) which is my main reason for the lift.
I have done some fairly heafty runs since installing the lift kit and I am very happy with it for you purposes - but I'm not a huge rock crawler guy anyway. I prefer mud, technical climbing, dirt, etc..
I have been happy with my choice of lift since I got it. The Geo brackets have not been an issue for me yet, but ask me at the end of this coming wheeling season for a more thorough opinion. The geo brkts are NOT a mandatory install by the way which is what Northridge told me when I talked with them. They were the ones who sold me on this kit, as I was going to go with the Teraflex spring kit.
The ride on road is fantastic. I have more confidence pushing the vehicle into corners and darting around since the kit was installed. The vehicle just seems much more stable.
It took myself and a buddy 6 hours to install with the geo brkts. It was very easy and we had no issues. The instructions could have been a little better but we got er done fairly quickly.

I hope this helps.
Ian

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I agree with all of the above. I own the AEV 2.5" kit on my JKUR with 315s. It is an INCOMPLETE lift IMHO. As stated above, the kit, for whatever reason, doesn't come with a front trackbar, which IMHO you should get, so add that to the cost. Also, for some reason, AEV doesn't provide new front sway links, and instead, uses stupid brackets that make the stock links sit at a nasty angle. These need to be replaced (2 OEM rear links at $20 a pop.) When all is said and done, the AEV 2.5" kit is around $1400 or so to be considered "complete" (Imho)....$1400 is a lot of money to clear 33s. I ran 33s on my last rig with a coil leveling kit and it was great. Had no problems stuffing in Moab, keeps the COG nice and low, and a minimum expense. Im happy with my 2.5" but for 33s I would just stick with a nice leveling kit (coils.)

Top Bottom