Overlanding Gear

Jackal01

Yet another vote for jetboil. My wife is vegetarian and mountain house makes some good veg stuff. I also have the frying pan and coffee press for the jetboil and they all work really well with eachother. Have a coleman portable as well if we are cooking larger amounts of food for more than just the two of us.
Mountain House is our favorite! :rock:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I love my exped mattress (pic earlier in the thread). They make one for two people as well. It's very comfortable and has great insulation rating for colder nights. I'd plan on using on board air or a 12 volt pump to inflate it though. The tiny stuff sack hand bag/pump it comes with sucks.

As for stoves, I keep a Jetboil in my Jeep at all times. It's perfect for small meals. For more involved cooking tasks, I have a Brunton Wind River (also in this thread). Since it is just you, I would learn to plan my meals around a Jetboil.

Another vote for JetBoil. Check out their MicroMo. Just bought it for brother in law as Christmas present. Also, buy some Mountain House freeze dried meals. Surprisingly delicious.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

As someone who spends about 5 months a year out side away from home I can say the jet boil is the single greatest thing to jeep in ur ruck! (Or jeep).

Also bother vote is that cot tent that thing is great for sleeping in!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Another vote for Jetboil. We mostly eat backpacking food when we camp, even car camping, because it is just too simple and fast to make a meal with a Jetboil and freeze dried food.

Yet another vote for jetboil. My wife is vegetarian and mountain house makes some good veg stuff. I also have the frying pan and coffee press for the jetboil and they all work really well with eachother. Have a coleman portable as well if we are cooking larger amounts of food for more than just the two of us.

I just spent around 40 days deep in the jungles of Vietnam. There were about 5 of my teammates that had Jet Boils. I can attest that those things are badass. Coffee, oatmeal, rice, noodles, hot water for Mountain House meals, hell, even heating cans of food. Because my new job will keep me in austere environments for about 8-10 months out of the year, I will definitely be investing in one soon. A jet boil and a single burner propane camp stove was all we needed for pretty much any meal we could think of creating with self stable foods.

Desertman

I have been using a jet boil mini since they first came out. The performance is outstanding. I have made drinks and meals with this little monster with only one hitch, the ignitor stopped working about a year ago but the stove still works fine when I light with a lighter.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have been using a jet boil mini since they first came out. The performance is outstanding. I have made drinks and meals with this little monster with only one hitch, the ignitor stopped working about a year ago but the stove still works fine when I light with a lighter.

Mine quit too (after many years of use). You buy replacements for about $5-$10 but I have just been using a lighter.

Jackal01

Charlie, mountain house is the shit. Just wish it wasn't so expensive! lol
We were supposed to camp this weekend at Fort Parker but with the weather being what it is we decided against it once we got there Friday night. Time to invest in a 3 season tent that won't collapse in 20mph gusts.

We bought 4 breakfasts, 4 entrées and 1 dessert. $40ish. Kinda pricey but it is so easy it is worth it to us.

Jackal01

Mine quit too (after many years of use). You buy replacements for about $5-$10 but I have just been using a lighter.

My first JB igniter died after a few uses. Maynr 3 or 4 months aftrr i got it. I took it to REI to troubleshoot. The guy tried for a minute to figure it out but quickly just exchanged it without hesitation. They may be expensive but their customer service is second to none.

We were supposed to camp this weekend at Fort Parker but with the weather being what it is we decided against it once we got there Friday night. Time to invest in a 3 season tent that won't collapse in 20mph gusts.

We bought 4 breakfasts, 4 entrées and 1 dessert. $40ish. Kinda pricey but it is so easy it is worth it to us.

Never head of fort Parker but just looked it up. Looks nice. Yea this cold front came out of nowhere. Yep, when u think about the ease of those meals, $40 for an entire long weekend of food is really not that bad at all. I'll continue to buy them as long as they keep making them :)

atrollip

^^^ A single bed mattress fits perfectly in the back if u move front seats all the way forward. I usually put bags in front. If im too lazy or arriving late at night this is my solution.

Sent from my SM-N920C using WAYALIFE mobile app

daddyusmaximus

I just thought that Jetboil only made the one tiny little unit for boiling water, but after checking again, they have a real nice looking two burner Genesis Base Camp unit that looks real nice.

I just thought that Jetboil only made the one tiny little unit for boiling water, but after checking again, they have a real nice looking two burner Genesis Base Camp unit that looks real nice.

Yea. I've had my eye on that genesis unit. Once our Coleman portable grill shits out on us, I'll pick up that and add it to our jetboil arsenal of products lol

Jackal01

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Hole from spark in synthetic Arcteryx jacket

I had the same thing happen on a Condor jacket. I took it to a tailor, locally known for wedding dresses, and they put some sort of patch on it. I can't find the jacket to show you.

GraniteCrystal

Duct Tape always looks the part.

REI has patch kits, but I've always just put a drop or two of superglue over the hole. I have a few holes in one of my down jackets.

I had the same thing happen on a Condor jacket. I took it to a tailor, locally known for wedding dresses, and they put some sort of patch on it. I can't find the jacket to show you.
I just called Arcteryx to ask for their advice. First off, a very nice, real girl named Jennifer answered the phone on the second ring. No automated system. Wow is that refreshing. Second, she said to use Tenacious Tape, which I happen to have so I'll give that a try later today and report back. Really refreshing to have them recommend the best option, even if it's not their product. Go Arcteryx.

Jackal01

I just called Arcteryx to ask for their advice. First off, a very nice, real girl named Jennifer answered the phone on the second ring. No automated system. Wow is that refreshing. Second, she said to use Tenacious Tape, which I happen to have so I'll give that a try later today and report back. Really refreshing to have them recommend the best option, even if it's not their product. Go Arcteryx.
I cannot recall what company, nor for what, I called last week but when they answered I was ecstatic that it wasn't a call center over seas. The person was articulate, educated, knew how to answer my questions immediately and that was the end of it. It was great. I also have that tape in my camping tool bag for tent fixes. I'll keep this in mind for clothing as well.

Top Bottom