Overlanding Gear

TheFunSmith

I have that fiskars axe, and have used it on multiple camping trips. They are super strong, and very sharp, logs are easy to split, and small to mid size trees will be easy work. It doesn't hurt that they are super lightweight too, you could strap it to the outside of a backpacking load-out for a backpack camping trip and forget that its there. Good purchase!

I have that fiskars axe, and have used it on multiple camping trips. They are super strong, and very sharp, logs are easy to split, and small to mid size trees will be easy work. It doesn't hurt that they are super lightweight too, you could strap it to the outside of a backpacking load-out for a backpack camping trip and forget that its there. Good purchase!

You carry a full blown axe with you while backpacking?

Harley74

Thanks for the feed back.

TheFunSmith

You carry a full blown axe with you while backpacking?
The full-size one that I have, no. The smaller version with same head size, I would if I owned it.... And if I did much of any backpacking lol. I'm just saying, the hollow handle keeps it super light weight, to the point where I would try to find a way to haul it along for a backpacking trip and I don't think it would be a nuisance. I may buy the smaller version to chuck into the bug-out bag that I am building up right now. It's never a bad idea to have a capable axe with you!

Last edited:

Harley74

I used the axe this weekend and man it made short work on splitting some small logs. Should of gotten one a long time ago!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm looking at that from a backpacker's point of view. All items I would agree are good. Candle is overkill IMO unless you're stuck for multiple days and need the light.

GraniteCrystal

I'm looking at that from a backpacker's point of view. All items I would agree are good. Candle is overkill IMO unless you're stuck for multiple days and need the light.

That was the one thing that jumped out to me too. I'd rather carry some extra batteries for my headlamp. Candles are heavy.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Flashlights and headlamps are cool, but definitely not crucial. It is amazing how well your eyes can adjust to the "darkness" if necessary. I'm surprised that list had nothing about water treatment. Iodine tablets are small and light, and can save you from a lot of unpleasant illnesses.

WJCO

Meme King
Flashlights and headlamps are cool, but definitely not crucial. It is amazing how well your eyes can adjust to the "darkness" if necessary. I'm surprised that list had nothing about water treatment. Iodine tablets are small and light, and can save you from a lot of unpleasant illnesses.

Agreed on both accounts. Eyes do adjust, obviously a flashlight makes visibility easier. I use filters for water treatment, goes with me ANY time we are in the hills. I use one backpacking all the time and we have two in each vehicle in the event of an emergency.

Jackal01

I'm surprised that list had nothing about water treatment. Iodine tablets are small and light, and can save you from a lot of unpleasant illnesses.

Have you tried a Life Straw? I bought a couple a few years ago (for emergencies) but I haven't tested them out. I also carry a MSA filter and chlorine tabs (for bulk water. ie making food. I don't want to pull water from the Life Straw into a pot of water to cook food).

I haven't met anyone that has given them a whirl.

WJCO

Meme King
Have you tried a Life Straw? I bought a couple a few years ago (for emergencies) but I haven't tested them out. I also carry a MSA filter and chlorine tabs (for bulk water. ie making food. I don't want to pull water from the Life Straw into a pot of water to cook food).

My brother has used them and loves them. I have some but haven't used them yet.

I've carried a Berkey bottle for ten years or so. I have no complaints. I've even filtered with it out of a stream that had active cattle herds nearby. I love that thing.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I have a lifestraw and also a sawyer mini, both of which are backups and neither of which I have used yet (they are kept in grab bags). I keep a bottle of treating and neutralizing tablets in the Jeep for emergency use because I can treat large amounts of water at the same time. I also plan to eventually put a Katadyn Pocket in my Jeep at some point. As far as pumps go, the Katadyn Pocket is really nice but it is also very pricey.

Jackal01

My brother has used them and loves them. I have some but haven't used them yet.

I've carried a Berkey bottle for ten years or so. I have no complaints. I've even filtered with it out of a stream that had active cattle herds nearby. I love that thing.

Good to hear that it is doing well. I tried research expiration on them but the consensus seems to be that they are good for many, many years despite their expiration date (I think mine have stickers).

I have a lifestraw and also a sawyer mini, both of which are backups and neither of which I have used yet (they are kept in grab bags). I keep a bottle of treating and neutralizing tablets in the Jeep for emergency use because I can treat large amounts of water at the same time. I also plan to eventually put a Katadyn Pocket in my Jeep at some point. As far as pumps go, the Katadyn Pocket is really nice but it is also very pricey.

I have had my MSA for nearly 15 years without any complaints but I kinda want to get a new filter. Been looking at Katadyn.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Take a look at the Hiker Pro too. It's a lot less money and still field cleanable. It just doesn't have the service life or capacity of the Pocket.

GraniteCrystal

On the topic of water filters...I use the MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter. Huge fan. No effort, the thing puts out, and the water tastes great.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
On the topic of water filters...I use the MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter. Huge fan. No effort, the thing puts out, and the water tastes great.

Is that an inline bag filter? I have been thinking of doing that as well for a kitchen setup. Can you post an Amazon link?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So what camp kitchen are you all using? Likes, dislikes, etc.?

I'm picking one up soon and am interesting in some feed back. So far, I'm looking at the Coleman Pack-Away, Coleman Pack-Away Deluxe, and REI Camp Kitchen. If I had a trailer I'd consider the Grub Hub but it is pricey and seems too big for the Jeep.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.04.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.04.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.04.26 PM.png

Exodus 4x4

So what camp kitchen are you all using? Likes, dislikes, etc.?

I'm picking one up soon and am interesting in some feed back. So far, I'm looking at the Coleman Pack-Away, Coleman Pack-Away Deluxe, and REI Camp Kitchen. If I had a trailer I'd consider the Grub Hub but it is pricey and seems too big for the Jeep.

View attachment 203665
View attachment 203666
View attachment 203664

I don't have any experience with any of these but my input would be go with REI. Just seems like it's always been easier to deal with them if you have issues.

Top Bottom