Painting/Powdercoating EVO Tire Carrier

Panda

This is what I use and it's been pretty great so far.

Hey Jay what is the full curing time on that? The VHT is great paint but most of them don't fully cure for 7 days, I haven't seen the roll bar paint around here

JaySC

Hey Jay what is the full curing time on that? The VHT is great paint but most of them don't fully cure for 7 days, I haven't seen the roll bar paint around here

Hmm..not too sure. I know it dries to a touch in 20 min, but not too sure about full curing time. It's the best thing I've used and the coloring is a great match.

JAGS

Hooked
Hmm..not too sure. I know it dries to a touch in 20 min, but not too sure about full curing time. It's the best thing I've used and the coloring is a great match.

I think Eddie has mentioned the VHT for the frame paint too. How's the finish quality J?

Panda, I think I've seen VHT at PepBoys, but not sure about this exact roll bar and chassis type. Also found it on amazon.

-Jason

Panda

I think Eddie has mentioned the VHT for the frame paint too. How's the finish quality J?

Panda, I think I've seen VHT at PepBoys, but not sure about this exact roll bar and chassis type. Also found it on amazon.

-Jason

Thanks Jason, I got VHT from autozone but didn't see the roll bar chassis paint there, I think I'm pretty close with the krylon semi flat but it'd be nice to have a perfect match for touching up rock rails next to evo skins :thumb:

JaySC

Thanks Jason, I got VHT from autozone but didn't see the roll bar chassis paint there, I think I'm pretty close with the krylon semi flat but it'd be nice to have a perfect match for touching up rock rails next to evo skins :thumb:

Yeah I ordered it from Amazon. But you did great with the color matching already.

Christarp

Just for reference, here's what I use and how the finish looks on it. I love this stuff, very strong and holds up very nicely. Still looks great. Granted, I used an entire can on each of these because they're going to be seeing some abuse.

I prefer it much more than the rustoleum truck bed coating which seems to just chip away looking at it.

IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg

oGKevin

Just for reference, here's what I use and how the finish looks on it. I love this stuff, very strong and holds up very nicely. Still looks great. Granted, I used an entire can on each of these because they're going to be seeing some abuse.

I prefer it much more than the rustoleum truck bed coating which seems to just chip away looking at it.

View attachment 116566
View attachment 116567

That looks like it comes out pretty nicely. It says self-priming, but did you prime or just wipe it down with mineral spirits? I just placed my order with EVO so I need to start hoarding cans of whatever I plan on using. I'm gonna check Home Depot and Autozone tomorrow.

Christarp

That looks like it comes out pretty nicely. It says self-priming, but did you prime or just wipe it down with mineral spirits? I just placed my order with EVO so I need to start hoarding cans of whatever I plan on using. I'm gonna check Home Depot and Autozone tomorrow.

I just wiped it down with mineral spirits. Didn't use any primer.

oGKevin

Hey guys - I just got all my evo parts in and I had a question about prepping. It's pretty cold and dry here, so I'm unsure about painting in the cold. I don't want to have to wait, but I will if I have too. I also have small amounts of surface rust I'd like to take care of before I paint. What's the best way to prep all these steel evo parts to paint? I'm using the VHT Rollcage paint which is paint and primer in one.

Hey guys - I just got all my evo parts in and I had a question about prepping. It's pretty cold and dry here, so I'm unsure about painting in the cold. I don't want to have to wait, but I will if I have too. I also have small amounts of surface rust I'd like to take care of before I paint. What's the best way to prep all these steel evo parts to paint? I'm using the VHT Rollcage paint which is paint and primer in one.

Surface rust can be removed with some WD40 and 000/0 steel wool. If it's a "bigger" issue spray it with some rust mort to stop it.

Painting in the cold isn't optimum but it can be done. Just take it slow and give everything it's proper curing time or maybe longer. I always use a self etch primer prior to painting and clean them prior to priming with either a mineral spirits or MEK like product.

Top Bottom