Painting

Sullivan

Make sure you clean the mill scale off of it first. Even with really good primer and paint, it will start to peel if you don't clean the metal really good.

caminton

Make sure you clean the mill scale off of it first. Even with really good primer and paint, it will start to peel if you don't clean the metal really good.

Use denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, brake cleaner, any of the big cleaners.

JeepJeep75

Another good thing to use are the blue nitrile disposable gloves. Your finger prints do not accept paint very well and will cause fish-eyes and other blemishes in the finish. The metal must be really clean and free of any oils and finger prints.

JeepJeep75

I always close the doors and wet my garage floor so I don't kick up dust.

This! [emoji121]️Years ago I helped a friend paint my (wasn't then) black corvette in a home two-car garage. It came out nearly flawless. Blow off the walls and wet the floor. And maybe turn off the gas water heater too if it's in the garage with you.

Azzi

My dad and I have painted many boats, jet skis and VW's in our yard with a make shift "booth". Unistrut structure with plywood floor and visqueen walls and did the same thing by hosing the wood and walls down. Might get a little dirt that can be buffed out. My sisters Bug won best paint at a Bug Out show painted in the yard.

So for those of you that have rattle canned a Crawler Conceptz body mounted carrier, or the similar, what is the best way to hang the carrier to paint it? I was think just some wire through the mounting holes on the right side, that way I don't have to wait for one side to dry and then flip it over and paint the other and so on. But hanging it presents the problem of paint dripping and creating bubbles if I put too thick of a coat down...

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
So for those of you that have rattle canned a Crawler Conceptz body mounted carrier, or the similar, what is the best way to hang the carrier to paint it? I was think just some wire through the mounting holes on the right side, that way I don't have to wait for one side to dry and then flip it over and paint the other and so on. But hanging it presents the problem of paint dripping and creating bubbles if I put too thick of a coat down...

Hang it, and apply multiple light coats

Top Bottom