Photography tips, tricks and hints.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You bet! One other thing great about the SLR's is the lens availability. I rent lenses from borrowlenses.com to try out or for special occasions for really good prices. It allows you to see if a particular lens is what you are looking for without having to spend hundreds of dollars only to find out that the lens doesn't work like you thought it would. There are good reviews on the lenses there as well.

Did you take this one?

IMG_9653.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have the Canon you posted up above. Like you said, I haven't used it enough to really take advantage of all the manual settings. But from the pics we have taken so far, the auto setting on the Canon is far and away better than any IPhone picture we've ever taken. I can't wait to really dive into it more in the future. Unfortunately, not a ton of scenery to take advantage of it here in Texas lol.

X2 for the Canon. We have the same one as well, and though I don't know much about the Nikon, I know the Canon has been great to learn on. Here's a couple taken with the Canon Rebel about a month after we bought it at night, when it really shines compared to a camera phone:
MtMitchellNorthStar.jpg

MtMitchellTent.jpg

Dever

The best advice I ever got on equipment was to invest in better lenses and other gear before you sink money into a camera upgrade. Even "entry level" DSLRs can take amazing pictures with high quality lenses, a polarizer, and a sturdy tripod.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
That's the best news I've had, all day. Now I won't buy a lens for a while.

You can take amazing pics with those kit lenses. I still use mine probably 80% of the time. Long distance and low light conditions (like a basketball game inside a gym) are when you will be wishing for better lenses. You should be able to compensate some by monkeying around with the camera settings

BobNH

Nice! I'm tardy to the party as I hadn't seen this thread until now, but my wife got me tje Nikon D3400 package you had also considered. Loving it so far, and I am sure you will be equally happy with that Canon, those are crisp shots.
Here's a couple from mine, and I have miles to go before I'm up to speed on all it can do. None were tripod, and most were full 300mm zoom steadied by hand.
432bb4cd41c2f0208d7557e9e9fe3361.jpg
077c94367f1fbeaffda663355255ddfb.jpg
b1c0dc03c52eaf4a3b0e4164de6eac83.jpg
4739b0460316a30358ae6486a7669870.jpg
a9ffbb4a85b05ddcdcd850acad73f411.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

notnalc68

Nice! I'm tardy to the party as I hadn't seen this thread until now, but my wife got me tje Nikon D3400 package you had also considered. Loving it so far, and I am sure you will be equally happy with that Canon, those are crisp shots.
Here's a couple from mine, and I have miles to go before I'm up to speed on all it can do. None were tripod, and most were full 300mm zoom steadied by hand.
432bb4cd41c2f0208d7557e9e9fe3361.jpg
077c94367f1fbeaffda663355255ddfb.jpg
b1c0dc03c52eaf4a3b0e4164de6eac83.jpg
4739b0460316a30358ae6486a7669870.jpg
a9ffbb4a85b05ddcdcd850acad73f411.jpg

Those turned out nice. [emoji1303] It came down to price, and recommendations for me. I know nothing about it, and still use the automatic settings.

BobNH

Ya, these things are complicated lol. Just what I needed-more phone apps. I moved from auto settings to aperture priority and now have locked my iso at 400. When I didn't, it would let me takr any pic I wanted, but then make them all grainy because I wasnt paying attention to how high the iso would go.
You'll get used to it fast. IMO, get a huge, quality card for it, not just any sd card. They aren't super expensive, but are soooo worth it for quality.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I bought that Canon EOS Rebel T6

Nice! Those shots look good. Makes me want to get mine out and practice some more. Learning how to set the shutter speed, ISO and everything is a little trial and error, but once you get the settings down you'll be able to do anything.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
a bunch of yrs back when I got my first dslr that was a more complex than the point and shoots I had been using up to that point I was scouring the web looking to learn how to for this setting or that setting and I came across this site http://photographycourse.net/ they put it in the simplest term to make it easy to understand compared to all the you tube vids and various other learn photo site that I have ever come across ...

notnalc68

a bunch of yrs back when I got my first dslr that was a more complex than the point and shoots I had been using up to that point I was scouring the web looking to learn how to for this setting or that setting and I came across this site http://photographycourse.net/ they put it in the simplest term to make it easy to understand compared to all the you tube vids and various other learn photo site that I have ever come across ...

Thanks for that

Top Bottom