Pinion Bearing & Locker Help

FastZach

I mean I guess if yall don't mind having a frankenjeep setup it would technically work. Your rear would just be an air locker while your front is electronic.

For that deal though you're getting a front air locker as well... so if it were me I would install it just so you don't have a mixed setup. Further incentive is that your rear failed. While they're swapping over your ring gear to the new locker and they have it apart anyways, I would have them check your front pinion while they're at it to confirm preload is within spec and check for worn bearings. :thumb:

I think is a really good idea.:thumb: I didn't even think of the front going bad too

FastZach

Alright, I have researched and come up with four options to fix the rear axle in my dads Jeep. Let me know which one you would do or if there is another option. All labor is a rough estimate

Option 1 is to replace just the rear locker with the stock locker.
- $1300 for the locker ($1600 retail)
- $300 for the ring and pinion
- $500 labor
Option 2 is to replace just the rear with an ARB. It can be done but it might be “Frankenstein” like with the factory locker in the front.
- $1150 for the locker and compressor
- $500 for 35 spline chromoly shafts
- $300 for ring and pinion
- $500-$800 labor
Option 3 is to replace front and rear with ARBs. ARBs are much stronger and perform better.
- $1900 for both lockers and compressor
- $1000 for chromoly shafts front and rear.
- $500-$800 labor
Option 4 is to buy a Dynatrac semi float Dana 60 rear axle with an ARB installed and 5.13 gears installed
- $4850 for the axle complete bolt in
- $450 labor
- $300 ARB compressor

WJCO

Meme King
Alright, I have researched and come up with four options to fix the rear axle in my dads Jeep. Let me know which one you would do or if there is another option. All labor is a rough estimate

Option 1 is to replace just the rear locker with the stock locker.
- $1300 for the locker ($1600 retail)
- $500 labor
Option 2 is to replace just the rear with an ARB. It can be done but it might be “Frankenstein” like with the factory locker in the front.
- $1150 for the locker and compressor
- $500 for 35 spline chromoly shafts
- $300 for ring and pinion
- $500-$800 labor
Option 3 is to replace front and rear with ARBs. ARBs are much stronger and perform better.
- $1900 for both lockers and compressor
- $1000 for chromoly shafts front and rear.
- $500-$800 labor
Option 4 is to buy a Dynatrac semi float Dana 60 rear axle with an ARB installed and 5.13 gears installed
- $4850 for the axle complete bolt in
- $450 labor
- $300 ARB compressor

Do you have this kind of money to spend on it right now? And what are you running now in the front? Axle type and gear size?

FastZach

Do you have this kind of money to spend on it right now? And what are you running now in the front? Axle type and gear size?

It is my Dads Jeep and he does have the money but he wants it to make sense rather than just throwing money at it.:thinking: The front is a trussed Dana 44 w/ stock locker and 5.13 gears and he is running 37s

WJCO

Meme King
It is my Dads Jeep and he does have the money but he wants it to make sense rather than just throwing money at it.:thinking: The front is a trussed Dana 44 w/ stock locker and 5.13 gears and he is running 37s

I would say leave the front alone then myself. And focus on the rear. If he's planning on keeping it and using it (which it sounds like he is) and funds are available, I would do the Dana 60 in a heartbeat. So option 4 would be my first pick, then option 2.

FastZach

I would say leave the front alone then myself. And focus on the rear. If he's planning on keeping it and using it (which it sounds like he is) and funds are available, I would do the Dana 60 in a heartbeat. So option 4 would be my first pick, then option 2.

That is kinda what I'm thinking. I just would hate to give Mopar that much money for something that is inferior

jeeeep

Hooked
IMO I'd price out a Dynatrac Trail 60, or Dynatrac Pro 60, the Mopar's are still fairly new and have yet to be proven.

Also consider the cost of the 8 bolt pattern which means new wheels for the rear and spacers for the fronts to equalize the width difference - as well as new wheels for the front if you can't find a matching 8 bolt rear.

The Mopar is only available in either 4.88 or 5.38 gears only so you'll need to get the front regeared, 5.38 in a D44 front not a good idea.

I'd give Dynatrac a call, they can help you sort it all out...or replace both axles and rock on!

JGzCrush

PM me the name of the shop that did your regearing unless you don't mind putting it out there. I have an idea seeing you're in Mesa!

FastZach

So we got some info from the shop that originally did the gear swap. In their opinion, the axle is done and we need a new one. He suggested a Currie Rock Jock for about $3700 plus install.

We are definitely gonna go get another opinion but I still a new axle will be better in the long run

jeeeep

Hooked
So we got some info from the shop that originally did the gear swap. In their opinion, the axle is done and we need a new one. He suggested a Currie Rock Jock for about $3700 plus install.

We are definitely gonna go get another opinion but I still a new axle will be better in the long run

stay away from currie! they are selling you what they make the most profit on....

Top Bottom