Pr60 brakes won't bleed...please help

jdofmemi

I got another reservoir cap, the plastic one, I drilled and tap that. Then pressurized with air, just remember to not too empty the reservoir.

Thanks, makes sense now, in a weird sort of way. It just seems odd, using air to get rid of air.

Fury22

So it wasnt the caliper...so put in new master cylinder, still same issue. They tested the vacuum in the booster, looked good...i just dont know anymore. Said there is a pressure bleed we are going to try at his other shop, but other than that i have no other guesses...with the jeep off, 2 pumps and the pedal is rock solid, running it fades almost to the floor. I put it in 4lo and was able to stall it though with the brakes...is it possible that it just takes 95% pedal travel now to hold the brakes?

jdofmemi

Does the PR60 have bigger calipers?

If the Pistons are enough larger, it will take a larger volume of fluid to apply the brakes. Is a larger bore master cylinder needed?

I don't know the specs of the PR60, just wondering.

Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

Fury22

Does the PR60 have bigger calipers?

If the Pistons are enough larger, it will take a larger volume of fluid to apply the brakes. Is a larger bore master cylinder needed?

I don't know the specs of the PR60, just wondering.

Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

Yes they are bigger, they are f350 brakes. But im running 37s, and even Steve said the stock master and booster should be good enough and plenty of guys run it that way with no issue. If the pressure bleed doesn't work, which i think by this point it has to...ill get the bigger master and booster kit from mopar. Nothing like spending $500 to know that no one knows whats happening haha

A.J.

Yes they are bigger, they are f350 brakes. But im running 37s, and even Steve said the stock master and booster should be good enough and plenty of guys run it that way with no issue. If the pressure bleed doesn't work, which i think by this point it has to...ill get the bigger master and booster kit from mopar. Nothing like spending $500 to know that no one knows whats happening haha

Oh shit! I thought you already had the bigger booster and master cylinder. Guys do run it that way but the pedal sucks.(as you now know) Sorry man this could have been solved much sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

I'm not sure if you have an issue to be honest. I'm running the PR60/60 combo with the stock master cylinder and booster. The pedal feel isn't great, and you can push it to the floor if you try. I've never actually had a problem stopping though, including lots of high speed road miles and several offroad trips.

I have the Mopar big brake booster and master cylinder but haven't installed it. Before I figured out how to relocate 3 solenoids, an ARB twin, and all of the other stuff I have under the hood I got used to the pedal feel. It's on the to do list, but it's a not a high priority. I've heard from several people that the pedal feel didn't get better after installing the bigger booster and master cylinder, and my local dealer probably wouldn't be able to bleed the system correctly if I get air the system while installing the booster and master cylinder.

Are you having issues stopping? After bleeding it myself several times, I took it to the dealer for a pressure bleed. It still has a lot more pedal throw than it did before the 60's, but it stops fine. It was something I was really concerned with at first, but was the smallest issue I had with my PR60s and I forgot about the difference in feel and pedal throw over time.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I had my master cylinder and booster upgraded after installing the 60/60 package, the stock setup sucked... the pedal response is night and day in my opinion, the stock was squishy and all around sucked. Bubba at Exodus Jeeps did the install and I would definitely recommend having them do the work.

Fury22

I'm not sure if you have an issue to be honest. I'm running the PR60/60 combo with the stock master cylinder and booster. The pedal feel isn't great, and you can push it to the floor if you try. I've never actually had a problem stopping though, including lots of high speed road miles and several offroad trips.

I have the Mopar big brake booster and master cylinder but haven't installed it. Before I figured out how to relocate 3 solenoids, an ARB twin, and all of the other stuff I have under the hood I got used to the pedal feel. It's on the to do list, but it's a not a high priority. I've heard from several people that the pedal feel didn't get better after installing the bigger booster and master cylinder, and my local dealer probably wouldn't be able to bleed the system correctly if I get air the system while installing the booster and master cylinder.

Are you having issues stopping? After bleeding it myself several times, I took it to the dealer for a pressure bleed. It still has a lot more pedal throw than it did before the 60's, but it stops fine. It was something I was really concerned with at first, but was the smallest issue I had with my PR60s and I forgot about the difference in feel and pedal throw over time.

This is what i was looking for haha. No i dont really have an issue stopping. Im pretty convinced the brakes work and im just gunna have to get used to the pedal feel. Like i mentioned before I was able to outbrake it in 4lo 1st with about half to 3/4 pedal. Just finished my break in and gear oil swap, during that time i never really had a fear of not stopping.
There is a mild wheeling event this weekend locally im gunna test her out at, nothing really crazy, but will see if the brakes will hold in certain situations. Thanks for the input, i appreciate it

Fury22

I had my master cylinder and booster upgraded after installing the 60/60 package, the stock setup sucked... the pedal response is night and day in my opinion, the stock was squishy and all around sucked. Bubba at Exodus Jeeps did the install and I would definitely recommend having them do the work.

Thanks man! Well see how it goes this weekend and after the pressure bleed. Will probably end up getting the boosted setup, but if it works for now and others have confirmed they had the same experience i dont see it as a must do immediately thing

Fury22

Been doing some digging on the bigger master and booster...is it true that it only fits the automatic transmission JKs and that I would have to modify it to accommodate the clutch slave???

Top Bottom