PR60 vs XD60 for 37's

sc_rhino

FWIW I just bent a flange on my PR60 semi-float rear this past weekend. Think hard before you're spending this much money on an axle and only go semi-float.
Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I now question my choice. If you do go this route I'd get a spare axle so you're not screwed out on the trail. :twocents:

I've bent two flanges over the past 18 months which is getting old.

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, my condolences. Just out of curiosity, what were the circumstances that you bent yours?

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

EDIT: I just went back and looked - this is on Dynatracs Vendor thread. Should this discussion be moved to the tech section? This is a very solid company and I do not want to throw shade on them in any way whatsoever.....

Last edited:

sc_rhino

Heck, no worries- this is still a great discussion thread.

I'd still really like to hear how SCRHINO bent his flanges....

I honestly don't know. But when I'm driving down the road I can see a slight wobble and hear the squeak, squeak. I guess I'm just bad luck or I worry too much.

And I'm not bashing by any means. Maybe it's just my driving style that's causing it.

If anything I'll upgrade to another Dynatrac axle.

Last edited:

qwasin

Because I already have a ton of money invested in bead locks at 5x5. Didn't want to spend the money buying new wheels. I only plan on running 37's and feel that a semi-float is perfectly capable of doing that. In fact, Steve was the one to tell me that a full float was NOT necessary with 37's and that it all really depends on how you wheel. Is a full float stronger? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean I need to spend the money on it. The only reason I'm going to upgrade to a 60 rear at all is for peace of mind when I ultimately do a LS swap.

Did you tell dynatrac about the LS swap because they quoted you a high pinion. And at 4900$ you could nearly get a ud60 lp/ff rear with two new 8 lug wheels, that'd be about $5100.

qwasin

But you would have UD's.... [emoji22]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea you would be trading housing and bracket strength for gear and shaft strength. Anything at that price point will be a compromise and I think the better compromise would be the ud60. As far as the brackets those can be boxed in pretty easily. And with the housing, if you're doing stuff with your jeep that would call into question the strength of an assembly line dana 60 housing, you should probably be on fabricated housings in the first place.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If we are comparing the UD60 rear axle to the XD60 rear axle, you have to keep in mind that the UD60 still uses a standard dana 60 sized ring rear. The XD60 uses the 10.1" super 60 sized ring gear. It's high pinion, but it has a larger ring gear than the low pinion UD60.

qwasin

If we are comparing the UD60 rear axle to the XD60 rear axle, you have to keep in mind that the UD60 still uses a standard dana 60 sized ring rear. The XD60 uses the 10.1" super 60 sized ring gear. It's high pinion, but it has a larger ring gear than the low pinion UD60.

UD60s also use the 10" ring gear.

qwasin

Only in the front axle. The rear is standard Dana 60 9.75"

Good info. So it might not be possible to order an xd60 low pinion then. The 10" ring gear came from the f450 front axle but those trucks have dana 110 rear ends. So the 10" 60 gear would only exist in reverse cut, which is why spicer puts the standard ring gear in the rear ud60, and why dynatrac sells the xd60 rear as high pinion using gears intended for front axles.

Now with all that said I would still rather have a lp 9.75 than a hp 10 but the main hang up for me either way is close to $5k for a semi float axle. Just my opinion.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Good info. So it might not be possible to order an xd60 low pinion then. The 10" ring gear came from the f450 front axle but those trucks have dana 110 rear ends. So the 10" 60 gear would only exist in reverse cut, which is why spicer puts the standard ring gear in the rear ud60, and why dynatrac sells the xd60 rear as high pinion using gears intended for front axles.

Now with all that said I would still rather have a lp 9.75 than a hp 10 but the main hang up for me either way is close to $5k for a semi float axle. Just my opinion.

If you are looking at a semi float XD60 and a FF UD60, its a sacrifice either way IMO. With the XD60 you are getting a quality axle hand made by experts and comes with the best warranty in the business, but you are still getting a semi float axle. With the UD60 you are getting an axle that is assembly line built, really has no warranty, but it is a full float axle. The only reason you are comparing them is the cost. The best comparison is a FF XD60 to a FF UD 60. Sure the Dynatrac is more, but if you are already in position to spend $4500 on a UD60 axle, it would be wise IMO to save a little longer and pay the extra 2500ish for a full float XD60 rear. Comparing these axles based solely on cost is an easy but bad way to compare them. If you think the UD60 is enough for you, then go for it, just know that if you do break it, it'll be an up hill battle fighting Dana/Spicer for a warranty claim. I personally know a local JK owner who experienced this with his UD60 rear axle after a ring & pinion failure.

qwasin

If you are looking at a semi float XD60 and a FF UD60, its a sacrifice either way IMO. With the XD60 you are getting a quality axle hand made by experts and comes with the best warranty in the business, but you are still getting a semi float axle. With the UD60 you are getting an axle that is assembly line built, really has no warranty, but it is a full float axle. The only reason you are comparing them is the cost. The best comparison is a FF XD60 to a FF UD 60. Sure the Dynatrac is more, but if you are already in position to spend $4500 on a UD60 axle, it would be wise IMO to save a little longer and pay the extra 2500ish for a full float XD60 rear. Comparing these axles based solely on cost is an easy but bad way to compare them. If you think the UD60 is enough for you, then go for it, just know that if you do break it, it'll be an up hill battle fighting Dana/Spicer for a warranty claim. I personally know a local JK owner who experienced this with his UD60 rear axle after a ring & pinion failure.

I agree, these are going head to head based on cost, and both have compromises to bring the price that low. And everyone will have a different opinion on which of the two is a better compromise. Personally the only issue I've had with my rear axle is bent flanges so for me there is no way I would spend that much money and stay semi float. For other people, perhaps they keep breaking gears and have never had a problem with flanges. So they would see the choice differently than me.

Not too sure I like the "extra 2500ish" argument though because you can do the same thing to the ff xd60 vs a tubeworks or spyder track fabbed housing with 10" third members. There is always something better if you can spend a bit more.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I agree, these are going head to head based on cost, and both have compromises to bring the price that low. And everyone will have a different opinion on which of the two is a better compromise. Personally the only issue I've had with my rear axle is bent flanges so for me there is no way I would spend that much money and stay semi float. For other people, perhaps they keep breaking gears and have never had a problem with flanges. So they would see the choice differently than me.

Not too sure I like the "extra 2500ish" argument though because you can do the same thing to the ff xd60 vs a tubeworks or spyder track fabbed housing with 10" third members. There is always something better if you can spend a bit more.

Well heck, keep spending money on inferior parts and you will end up spending EVEN MORE money, but to each their own. Good luck!! Let is know how it all works out.

Top Bottom