Putting a CB in the JKU

prionic1

yeah as I understand it, the fcc just merged the frs/gmrs classification or some such around 2016. technically you are or were required to be licensed to us a gmrs band, which could use repeaters, but not frs. although probably nobody knew that cause they just sold them in blister packs at pretty much any sporting goods store.

I would prefer to use a ham mobile. I got my license a few years back but nobody I knew could be bothered to get licensed and my idea of fun isn’t sitting in the basement talking to the members of the local radio club all night just because I want to use a radio, so back to the blister pack radios... the best radio in the world is useless if nobody is listening... lol.

I did recently sent the local club a message though saying I’d like to join just because I need to know how to use it at all as well as be efficient/effective.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
yeah as I understand it, the fcc just merged the frs/gmrs classification or some such around 2016. technically you are or were required to be licensed to us a gmrs band, which could use repeaters, but not frs. although probably nobody knew that cause they just sold them in blister packs at pretty much any sporting goods store.

I would prefer to use a ham mobile. I got my license a few years back but nobody I knew could be bothered to get licensed and my idea of fun isn’t sitting in the basement talking to the members of the local radio club all night just because I want to use a radio, so back to the blister pack radios... the best radio in the world is useless if nobody is listening... lol.

I did recently sent the local club a message though saying I’d like to join just because I need to know how to use it at all as well as be efficient/effective.

Yes, there is a license for the higher watt GMRS radios. It was $75 and is good for 10 years. No classes or tests required.

if I was to purchase the Midland handheld GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 36 Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 142 Privacy Codes will it be able to communicate with those using the GMRS mounted units which need the license if I'm wheeling Moab etc?

Sounds like a stupid question but I know absolutely nothing about radios.

wjtstudios

Hooked
if I was to purchase the Midland handheld GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 36 Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 142 Privacy Codes will it be able to communicate with those using the GMRS mounted units which need the license if I'm wheeling Moab etc?

Sounds like a stupid question but I know absolutely nothing about radios.

Yes. I run the 40 watt licensed and mounted gmrs unit and have a couple of the handhelds to hand out to other Jeeps that don’t run gmrs and they communicate perfectly. Privacy settings are great to keep extra chatter down. Great system.

bhaner

Nice!

I still run a CB in everything I own. Just makes it easy around here.

I had nothing but bad luck with the Uniden and Cobra radios. Finally made the switch to these little guys. I have installed 3 now and they work very well!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F53EBK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do need to open them up and remove a solder jumper to get them on 11 meter CB channels.

The mic port is an RJ-45 so you can just run CAT5/6 cable to wherever you want to mount it.

20190419_114005.jpg

20190419_114014.jpg

20190419_114026.jpg

Top Bottom