Question about Rugged Ridge CB mount

Jimmypaget

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473375347.629669.jpg here's a pic of my bearcat 980 mounted up.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473375313.716527.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473375313.716527.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 109

blackrubi14

I'm running that mount with a 520 radio, for me, I had to put some foam in between the radio and windshield frame closeout (plastic piece) to get it to stop bouncing around on me, it worked and there's minimal movement now. I previously had a 980 Bearcat mounted on the side of the console but like the overhead better. I'm afraid that 980 woulda wore me out mounted to the RR mount, too much movement for me, but to each their own.

JeepJeep75

My RR mount is doing double duty. I've got my remote fridge monitor mounted to the side of my Bearcat. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473376952.439634.jpg
I drilled new holes higher up on the side tabs to help get the CB just a bit higher. I can still access the freedom top handle just fine. Had to offset it too to get the CB centered.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I'm not a fan of the cable dangling in my view.

I mounted mine in front of that crappy blown out mesh sack in the center console.

View attachment 221752

Nice radio there.

I made a custom bracket for a uniden 520 and put it to the passenger side of the console. Had the wife verify it wasnt in the way. Bracket is attached to a bolt under the plastic cover. Made a bracket to go behind the passenger grab handle for the mike. Works out well.

kbd2b1

I'm not a fan of the cable dangling in my view.

I mounted mine in front of that crappy blown out mesh sack in the center console.

View attachment 221752

Best definition I have read regarding that pocket. I am glad this thread popped up. I didn't want to go overhead with my radio, and have been working on a console install. I like your option. Have you seen anybody try that with a 6spd manual?

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Best definition I have read regarding that pocket. I am glad this thread popped up. I didn't want to go overhead with my radio, and have been working on a console install. I like your option. Have you seen anybody try that with a 6spd manual?

Nope. I haven't seen anyone mount it down there, so I had to break the mold.

If a Daystar switch panel still fits, you might be ok. Dry fit it first. I ended up mounting it offset to get around the t-case shifter, and a 1" hole in the lower pocket for the antenna. I did it in a way that the rubber liner could cover it up if I remove the radio. The bracket was bolted about 1/2" below the panel seam. Its all a little tight bot do-able.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
ok so i'm also running the 880 although I opted to mount on a bit of a angle ... its tight on the top but I can get the freedom panel off without any problem , only thing ive found is I need to unhook the visor on drivers side and swing it over a bit if I choose to lower it down not a big deal as I almost never do , which gives me a spot to store the mic nicely without having the cord dropped down .. tried doin a couple pics but for whatever reason not able to prolly my pc screwing up

BigPrince

Hotty Toddy! Running a Bell's Bearcat 880 on that mount also. It does not interfere. I also have a PSC Front Cage and it fits fine. I did run some additional zipties to the cage to keep it more stable as the larger radio does make the mount wiggle a bit.

RocknJK

Awesome, glad you posted a pic. I have the same CB and want to mount it above the mirror but wasn't sure if it was too large for that mount. In my old Jeep I had it over the dash cubby but couldn't hear the speaker very well. Looks like it mounts nicely above the mirror.

I was a bit worried also but it works really well. I had to drill my own mount holes and get a couple bolts/nuts. I also put some blue lock tight on the bolts because it does vibrate a bit off road and didn't want it coming loose. Rear view mirror has just enough clearance.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Here we are. Midland 1001Z, & Rugged Ridge mount. It doesn't interfere with my view from the mirror. I'm 6 feet tall, if that helps. I did bend the mount upwards, a little, and I also drilled my own holes in the mount, more toward the rear of the Jeep. There is room to get the Freedom Panels off.

My SWR is 2.5, but a trucker, several miles away gave me a radio check. I'm going to redo the ground wire at the antenna mount, to see if I can get the SWR down. I think it will work fine for trail runs, and if someone steals it, it only cost $30.00.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474391987.995013.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474392002.683995.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Here we are. Midland 1001Z, & Rugged Ridge mount. It doesn't interfere with my view from the mirror. I'm 6 feet tall, if that helps. I did bend the mount upwards, a little, and I also drilled my own holes in the mount, more toward the rear of the Jeep. There is room to get the Freedom Panels off.

My SWR is 2.5, but a trucker, several miles away gave me a radio check. I'm going to redo the ground wire at the antenna mount, to see if I can get the SWR down. I think it will work fine for trail runs, and if someone steals it, it only cost $30.00.

Nice, man. Good spot for it.

Top Bottom