Rausch Creek Logging

For those of you that have often frequented RC but haven't made it out since last fall. You may be disappointed in some of the changes that were made over the winter (and some that are still going on).

It is my understanding when the property that RC sits on was obtained there were two existing logging contracts. One of the holding logging companies made their claim over the winter and rather than use a selection style logging practice, they came in with heavy equipment, used the trails as roads, and clear-cut their way to the trees they wanted.

The result is open sky where their once was shade and some of my favorite "club" trails are hardly a trail at all. To be honest, we found ourselves a little disoriented in the park and had a hard time finding the entrance to Cemetery which is one of our favorites. Trail 2 and 5 are almost wide open and very disturbed as well.

The silver lining (if you call it that) is the owner/operator is upset too. To try to make it right by the off-roaders, They are offering the other portion of the property (normally an up-charge) for free the remainder of the year. Sadly the damage that was done will take dozens of years to undo (if it ever can be).

By Yellow-Jacket
IMG_20150517_091928937.jpg

IMG_20150517_091939116.jpg

IMG_20150517_091957043.jpg

Believe it or not, this is the entrance to Cemetery
IMG_20150517_092718512.jpg

IMG_20150517_092745370.jpg

IMG_20150517_092830166.jpg

...and this is what was once the Cemetery "Black" trail. The "Red" loops are still in tact, but my fear is they will be stacked out by those looking for the old "Black" and they will not be as challenging.
IMG_20150517_093332577.jpg

I wish the damage was limited to this area but it isn't. We traveled 19-A to do the Red and Black loops of 19 and they were totally cleared at the foot and we were unable to do them with so much brush and debris blocking the trail. We ended up making an abort and took 19-B to Deathtrap. Thankfully this area seems to still be untouched.

Last edited:

noroad

so sad and they promised it would not look like this when they where done!!! I think im going to start making some calls to the guys at AAOA.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Such a shame! Man this makes me mad. Ruining trails for everyone so they could take the easy way and cut down as many trees possible to get the few they needed

Spudcannons

This is unfortunate. Are the logging laws like Nevada's mineral rights where a company can buy out the rights then take what they want and compensate the owner for damages?

so sad and they promised it would not look like this when they where done!!! I think im going to start making some calls to the guys at AAOA.

I haven't been there... I'm up for something new (well after the Rubicon). :)

Such a shame! Man this makes me mad. Ruining trails for everyone so they could take the easy way and cut down as many trees possible to get the few they needed

I agree, I accept they had rights to the timber, but there are literally hundreds of trees that were less then 4" in diameter cut down and then left laying. IMO it is was very unethical.

This is unfortunate. Are the logging laws like Nevada's mineral rights where a company can buy out the rights then take what they want and compensate the owner for damages?

I'm not sure how they work in PA, but in OH If you have logging rights you can do whatever you want to get to and take a "wooded" plant. It becomes a civil battle for "damages".

dannymalkin

I dont think the off road park actually owns the property, which is the problem. It would explain why they had no say in it. Just a guess though.

Recurve

wow, they really cleared a lot. Looks really different. I know on state game lands here in PA they select cut. If its private property then its all fair game as long as the owner said so.

kornchip

We did a trip out to AOAA last spring and had a blast. Im starting to regret not making it to Rausch yet

noroad

We did a trip out to AOAA last spring and had a blast. Im starting to regret not making it to Rausch yet

when did you do that? we went last summer! last i heard they are making maps just like RC and are 2x as big. looks like i might be driving down the road more in the future.

EZ-E

I was there that same weekend and I agree, some trails are unrecognizable from previously. Almost got lost on yellowjacket it was so clear cut. We spent a lot of time on the NE property and luckily, it's untouched.

kornchip

We went end of last March. RamP organized the trip and we all had a great time. Its still pretty close to Rausch, a bunch of the guys made it to both parks that weekend.

OJK12

We were just there this past weekend and it's a true shame. The trails do basically blend together and although I never saw it before I'm sure it was way better. We did the other trails that were undisturbed and it was a lot more fun and not nearly as hot. It's amazing how much cooler it was in the shade and how much more enjoyable the wheeling was.

Top Bottom