RCV axle shafts or chromoly for PR44

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So the post by N4x4 is a little confusing as it makes it sound as though all PR44s require custom "longer" axle shafts. Not that I'm in the market right now, but was just trying to understand the post.

Where did northridge say anything about length? They said they can't find a place that will make u joint style shafts for the same price as stock.

2013CGJKU

Where did northridge say anything about length? They said they can't find a place that will make u joint style shafts for the same price as stock.

He said stock LENGTH shafts. That's the issue. All of the readily available chromoly u-joint style shafts are for use with the stock rubi locker, so they are shorter. The ARB locker that they use when they assemble the axles is smaller, so they need longer shafts.

He said the difference in price between the RCV custom length shafts and the u-joint style custom length shafts is negligible to the point that they might as well use the beefier RCV shafts.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

HDGasser

If you order a PR to re-use your factory locker (or factory style replacement) your factory shafts or any aftermarket shafts made for a stock housing/e locker will work.

If you order a PR set up for a conventional locker ARB/Detroit (not an e-locker replacement) you will NOT be able to RE-use your factory shafts or aftermarkets set up for a factory e locker.

I'm pretty sure you can use the outer shafts just gotta get new inners.

Housing widths are the same.

Think that's how it went?:thinking:

Last edited:

2013CGJKU

If you order a PR to re-use your factory locker your factory shafts or any aftermarket shafts made for a stock housing/e locker will work.

If you order a PR set up for a conventional locker ARB/Detroit you will NOT be able to RE-use your factory shafts or aftermarkets set up for a factory e locker.

I'm pretty sure you can use the outer shafts just gotta get new inners.

Housing widths are the same.

Think that's how it went?:thinking:

Precisely.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

HDGasser

Anybody considering a PR44 upgrade... DO IT!! I promise you will not be disappointed.

Besides being just flat out sexy (when new) there's no comparison to the BEEF that Dynatrac has built into these housings.

Excellent customer service, super nice people. Dynatrac = A++++ in my book.:rock:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The best answers to your questions will come from Dynatrac. Give them a call.

Yep. I gave Dynatrac a call today. I asked about the availability of u-joint style chromoly shafts for the PR44 unlimited. While the sales guy didn't say where they could be purchased, he told me Dynatrac sells direct to customer ( I didn't know this) and basically builds the axle to customer specifications. It is not a problem to have one built with u-joint style shafts if you order from them. Their pricing was competitive. As Eddie predicted, it would cost around $400 less to go this route instead of RCV shafts. That's not a whole lot of money when you are spending close to 5K. I just have to decide whether running RCV makes sense with my gearing/tire/driving habits or not. Thanks everyone for your input.

So the post by N4x4 is a little confusing as it makes it sound as though all PR44s require custom "longer" axle shafts. Not that I'm in the market right now, but was just trying to understand the post.

Pro rock's that use Factory Rubicon Locker use Factory shafts.

Pro rock's that use Aftermarket Lockers cant use factory shafts because inside the locker the cross shaft on aftermarket lockers is in the center of the locker and the Factory locker has a offset cross shaft . Thus requiring different length shafts.

Hope that helps

David

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug

Pro rock's that use Aftermarket Lockers cant use factory shafts because inside the locker the cross shaft on aftermarket lockers is in the center of the locker and the Factory locker has a offset cross shaft . Thus requiring different length shafts.

Hope that helps

David

Ok this helps a bit. Next question, can I upgrade to a 35 spline ARB and chromoly shafts in a "factory" housing ? Currently I have a PR44 housing with my factory e locker and chromoly axles. Also is the 35 spline significantly stronger than 32 spline ?

Moochie

Ok this helps a bit. Next question, can I upgrade to a 35 spline ARB and chromoly shafts in a "factory" housing ? Currently I have a PR44 housing with my factory e locker and chromoly axles. Also is the 35 spline significantly stronger than 32 spline ?

Yes. You will have to use the ARB RD-157 locker with 35 spline axle shafts. This locker fits OEM Dana 44 housings. Since you are using an OEM E-locker now, you have the PR housing built for stock internals.

Last edited:
Mooch is is spot on. The only issue I have is the inner axle seals that are required to be used with 35 spline shafts has been problematic in my experience plus we have had very few if any at all issues with the 30 spline.

The 35 spline shaft is the same diameter as the 30 spline shaft except right before the seal surface and splines.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
So when the time comes, should I just get a ARB for a factory setup to go on my PR44 housing or should I upgrade the shafts and locker to the 35 spline ? Dynatrac's FAQ says they don't recommend the 35 spine locker that fits the factory housing

Moochie

So when the time comes, should I just get a ARB for a factory setup to go on my PR44 housing or should I upgrade the shafts and locker to the 35 spline ? Dynatrac's FAQ says they don't recommend the 35 spine locker that fits the factory housing

You will need the ARB RD-157 and according to the ARB site, this locker requires 35 spline shafts.

JAGS

Hooked

Hope that helps

David

I'm getting it. Just a newer learning curve and trying to understand the variable. Thanks for the reply/comment.

blazer

Caught the Bug
Hey Carl,
Just had ARB 157 with RCV 35 splines installed. There was a problem with the install.
Now, trying to find out why Dynatrac does not recommend the ARB 157 but Ok's the
ARB RD147 ("The RD157 is not approved for use in JK 44 pumpkins by Dynatrac")

Moochie

Hey Carl,
Just had ARB 157 with RCV 35 splines installed. There was a problem with the install.
Now, trying to find out why Dynatrac does not recommend the ARB 157 but Ok's the
ARB RD147 ("The RD157 is not approved for use in JK 44 pumpkins by Dynatrac")

Thanks Steve, you are right. After checking this FAQ from Dynatrac the RD-147 is the one to use.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406009046.753028.jpg

Top Bottom