Rear brakes already!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You guys do a lot of stop and go in your commutes? Then again larger tires can be part of the cause

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Your rear axle seal is leaking. You have to pull the axle and press off the bearing to change it. You may want to replace your ebrake shoes as well if they're saturated.

1BAMF'nJKU

Oh ok.....what would cause that to be leaking already? Is it a difficult task? Never done that before. Is it a serious issue? Thanks for helping the newbie

jagrubb99

Oh ok.....what would cause that to be leaking already? Is it a difficult task? Never done that before. Is it a serious issue? Thanks for helping the newbie

Inner axle seal is not the simplest of tasks. It requires you to remove the axle shafts and carrier in the rear differential in order to reach them.

EDIT: if it is in fact an inner axle seal that is leaking differential fluid all over your braking components, that can be caused by anything from improper assembly from the factory or a bent axle housing. Good luck with this

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Inner axle seal is not the simplest of tasks. It requires you to remove the axle shafts and carrier in the rear differential in order to reach them.

What inner seal in the rear diff? I've only see the seals on the outer edge of the axle near the flange. And I've never had to pull the carrier.

rinkishjk

EDIT: if it is in fact an inner axle seal that is leaking differential fluid all over your braking components, that can be caused by anything from improper assembly from the factory or a bent axle housing. Good luck with this

I think your thinking of the front axle. ^^
Dirt, or a clogged breather tube can also cause an axle shaft seal leak.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
View attachment 220395 here is the best photo I could get....doesn't really allow you to see the "fluid" that it appears to be saturated in....maybe someone can make it out and be of help...until I can tear it apart that is

Your rear axle seal is leaking. You have to pull the axle and press off the bearing to change it. You may want to replace your ebrake shoes as well if they're saturated.

This ^^^ exactly.

Is the jeep still running stock gears? If so, warranty.

Heavyhaul07

The damn traction control on them is what is causing the early brake wear. I see it all day long on newer vehicles with it. The axle seal should be covered under warranty.

christov11

you guys downshift a lot?
of course would need a manual trans

im thinking that would help you out with the breaks on the long run... hey if you can get another 10K on them, why not!

kingtj

re: fast rear brake wear

Yep... One thing I found out that I hadn't realized is that to improve the stability of the Wrangler (especially on the Unlimiteds), they apply the rear brakes automatically as you turn corners. I'm told a lot of people are going through rear pads in as little as 20-24K miles or so.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my brakes when my 2014 is ready.... Once again, Chrsyler seems like they just gave us the bare minimum, assuming that "because Jeep, you'll upgrade parts like LEGO pieces anyway".

The damn traction control on them is what is causing the early brake wear. I see it all day long on newer vehicles with it. The axle seal should be covered under warranty.

jesse3638

Hooked
here is the best photo I could get....doesn't really allow you to see the "fluid" that it appears to be saturated in....maybe someone can make it out and be of help...until I can tear it apart that is

As mentioned it appears to be a leaking axle seal. Seeing that you have a 2014 I'd assume that you are still under warranty. My dealership replaced this no questions asked with my lift and 35's. It appeared again and this time they attributed it to a score in the axle shaft and replaced the entire shaft under warranty no questions asked. The second time it was under the limited lifetime powertrain warranty.

Top Bottom