So here is what has been checked so far
1- shock torque
2- took the old Jack out
3- tightened the sway bar bolts
4- shook the exhaust

Could it be possible that it's caused by either
A- my sway bar links are WAY to short
B- my track bar is pulling the rear out
( waiting on my track bar brackets, new sway bar links)

Do you have bump stomps? maybe they came loose and are just free riding in between the coils... That was happening to my buddy took him forever to find the culprit.

JAGS

Hooked
Have you done what someone suggested and lay under the jeep while someone with some weight helps to shift the weight. Without isolating the sound to an area or part, it's all just guesses.

Maybe you already stated. But is it situational? Such as only turning right. Or only at a certain speed?

Again, get under there and try to isolate. Tightening parts that might not be installed properly or have shifted isn't going to solve the problem.

Ah2014jk

Have you done what someone suggested and lay under the jeep while someone with some weight helps to shift the weight. Without isolating the sound to an area or part, it's all just guesses.

Maybe you already stated. But is it situational? Such as only turning right. Or only at a certain speed?

Again, get under there and try to isolate. Tightening parts that might not be installed properly or have shifted isn't going to solve the problem.

Ya I've tried. A buddy of mine and I tried to make the sound while stopped and couldn't do it. It only happens when driving at a speed ( maybe 30 ish ) and you hit a bump
In the road. That being said only when you hit about 25% of the bumps. It's from the rear and only at random times.
I'm open to all the suggestions so feel free to keep them coming. I appreciate all the help

Ah2014jk

Do you have bump stomps? maybe they came loose and are just free riding in between the coils... That was happening to my buddy took him forever to find the culprit.

Wouldn't be that in the rear as they don't ride in the coils but still a good thought

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I still think your bump stops are too short for 40" tires and last I remember you hadn't trimmed any sheet metal.

Ah2014jk

I still think your bump stops are too short for 40" tires and last I remember you hadn't trimmed any sheet metal.

Oh they are absolutely to short. Problem is I won't have new brake lines in until next weekend so I can't stuff anything until I get them installed. Once I do I can start to flex it out and trim as required. Right now I have cut away just a basic amount on the seams as well as do a custom set of stops. I just don't want to calculate the length based on shock travel only to find I need slightly taller based on hitting the body or something like that.

olram30

What are the chances a lug or lugs from the tires are hitting the body somewhere? Is this one solid clunk or a series of them?

Ah2014jk

What are the chances a lug or lugs from the tires are hitting the body somewhere? Is this one solid clunk or a series of them?

Just one clunk. About once every ten bumps. Just so everyone understands as well it's not offroad I get this either. It's just if I hit the wron bump in the road.

olram30

Just saw your picture you posted, tires seem close to the sliders and that's going to be my guess. Because you've checked every bolt and bushing correct? Once you get your brake lines, cycle your suspension and maybe talk to someone who runs 40" tires. Maybe grubbicon will chime in and tell you that he has around 4" to 5" bump stops. My guess is your tires are making contact somewhere.

Ah2014jk

Not trying to argue but I don't think my axle is moving that much over small bumps in the road. It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a lot of room. The sliders may only have about 3.5-4" of room but the axle will move in a backwards arch away from them. By this time there would be paint missing as well. I could put 4 inch of bump stop in today and be no where near hitting them going through town over a slight bump in the road which causes the clunk. Besides that te clunk has only been last 2 weeks ish and tires have been there a few months

JAGS

Hooked
Not trying to argue but I don't think my axle is moving that much over small bumps in the road. It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a lot of room. The sliders may only have about 3.5-4" of room but the axle will move in a backwards arch away from them. By this time there would be paint missing as well. I could put 4 inch of bump stop in today and be no where near hitting them going through town over a slight bump in the road which causes the clunk. Besides that te clunk has only been last 2 weeks ish and tires have been there a few months

what changed two weeks ago?

JAGS

Hooked
That's the strange thing. I have new springs but it started the week before I put them on. I can't think of anything I did to the rear in that time.

Was it after a wheeling trip? Did you move any cargo around? Change the tops....I don't know, maybe your hard top is loose and bounces???? Check inside where the taillights are maybe something came loose?

Ah2014jk

Holy crap i found it!!!

Turns out that there was one little bracket left inside behind the taillight from when I had an OR fab tire carrier on it that was making the noise. Holy crap one noise gone now on to the next ( it is a jeep after all lol )

Last edited:
Top Bottom