Rear diff skid

I built one a while back. Despite everyone at work teasing me to just buy bigger tires [emoji38] IMG_2511.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg

Definitely serves me well. Had to order heavy duty 1/2” u bolts from grainger. The 3/8” ones I bought at Home Depot got shredded the first run.

I did add a doubler plate to the drive shaft u joint guard. It’s probably 3/4” thick in that spot and it’s taken some good hits. I don’t understand how the AEV one doesn’t just fold on impact? It looks so thin. Maybe there’s something in their design I don’t see in the picture...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I built one a while back. Despite everyone at work teasing me to just buy bigger tires [emoji38] View attachment 349988
View attachment 349990

Definitely serves me well. Had to order heavy duty 1/2” u bolts from grainger. The 3/8” ones I bought at Home Depot got shredded the first run.

Nice DIY. I could see how they would get torn up. The AEV design has the nuts and threads recessed pretty well. I don’t know about the rough country design.

Nice DIY. I could see how they would get torn up. The AEV design has the nuts and threads recessed pretty well. I don’t know about the rough country design.

Yea they AEVs do a good job of that. I recessed the top bolts that go around the diff housing, but didn’t do anything for the axle tube u bolts. But really what failed on the Home Depot ones were the u bolts themselves. They were literally twisted and the skid was all cocked out of place

Feel obligated to say...after seeing the AEV skid that Slimebones has this weekend, i can see how solid it is. It’s actually 1/4 inch thick. Looks thinner in the pictures...Also the way the plate is formed around the drive shaft u joint, it’s very study. Seems well worth the $

wjtstudios

Hooked
Feel obligated to say...after seeing the AEV skid that Slimebones has this weekend, i can see how solid it is. It’s actually 1/4 inch thick. Looks thinner in the pictures...Also the way the plate is formed around the drive shaft u joint, it’s very study. Seems well worth the $

I ran one for years and it held up really well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Slimebones

I would second that. It is very well reinforced. But don't cut yourself short, you fab'd a good one. And your welding skills are stellar!

fiend

Caught the Bug

Mine has taken a beating. I wish it went a little bit longer under the diff cover, but maybe that would present its own set of issues. Otherwise it’s very sturdy and I have no regrets.

fiend

Caught the Bug
That's the way I look at it also. The sound of that ujoint grinding away at a boulder is not a good feeling!

When it happened to me I had to replace the slip yoke and the u joint. [emoji37]

Last edited:
Top Bottom