Rear Driveline Problem, whats this rubbing on?????

BBrown626

It's no different then someone paying a body shop to restore an old muscle car for them. They want a badass car, but don't have the know how or capabilities to do it themselves. Props to vettethret for coming to the right place to ask the questions he didn't have an answer for. I know people who have jeeps and use them for their own mechanical experimentation. I am an ASE certified technician, but automotive repair experience and training doesn't necessarily mean you know how to install a bunch of aftermarket performance parts. I belong to wayalife.com to find answers and educate myself on subjects I may not be familiar with.

Good analogy and I know a few guys with hot rods that never touch them with a wrench.

Vettethret

the balance weight looks like it's been rubbing the way it's 'rounded' on the visible edge.

once you get your replacement shaft it should clear since it'll be a smaller diameter. IMO I'd still take a measurement to see if the axle is still kicked more to one side.

you mentioned they adjusted it...I'm guessing you had someone else do the work?

When I cut my fenders i took to much out of the inner wheel well and had to have new ones put on. I went wheeling with the guy from OC Motorpsorts and he re adjusted my rear track bar when I went in for my fenders. I never even noticed it myself but you could see how far the rear tires stuck out to the right vs the left (He said it was off 3"). So being that I wheeled with it that far off I think this was caused the problem. I need a new rear shaft anyway but I think this was the main reason for the rub.

Vettethret

Just reading this thread it is apparent the OP does some wheeling, but doesn't work on the rig. I've performed every modification to my rig except I had EVO change differential gearing. I know every piece I have put on and the purpose it serves. Not only was I interested, but I need to know how it affects performance, the impact of a casualty to the equipment and how I might be able to fix it on the trail. Don't most of you install your mods and make your own repairs?

Thats nice, maybe I can bring my rig over to you for now on and you can work on it for free? I would LOVE to know how to do my own work and save thousands in labor, believe me, I wish I had that kind of skill/knowledge!:brows:

jeeeep

Hooked
Thats nice, maybe I can bring my rig over to you for now on and you can work on it for free? I would LOVE to know how to do my own work and save thousands in labor, believe me, I wish I had that kind of skill/knowledge!:brows:

well...... I have the know how and it does come in handy if needed but after all the day to day sometimes it's nice to have a good shop just get it done, worth the labor as I can get other things done and can also save $$$ on tools I may not use again!

It is nice to have the knowledge, lots of shops like to increase their profits on BS and that's my queue to call BS or find another shop.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

I'm by far no mechanic but I'm not too far of a drive from you, I have plenty of room in my garage, tools and a bit of know how. If you need help or want to watch and have a brew or three, hit me up.

Vettethret

I'm by far no mechanic but I'm not too far of a drive from you, I have plenty of room in my garage, tools and a bit of know how. If you need help or want to watch and have a brew or three, hit me up.

Thanks Frank, I would like that. I really want to know how to work on my rig. :thumb:

Top Bottom