recommend me a good torque wrench

BlackKnight

How long will the HF stay accurate?

even buying a new set each year for 20 years, your still less than the Snap-on Digital..

where I'm going to ba a far in between user I'll probably go with the HF modle for now. Ultill I start using it alot more often..

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Who wants digital? I don't.

There's one thing I want right every time and that's a torque spec. Atleast for me anyway.

I'd rather buy once and know its going to work.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Who wants digital? I don't.

There's one thing I want right every time and that's a torque spec. Atleast for me anyway.

I'd rather buy once and know its going to work.

I want my inch pound digital. It's hard to get 272 when it goes by 50's. :idon'tknow:

GCM 2

Reasons why someone doesn't buy good tools:

- Really don't care about what they are working on
- Ignorance, they don't know what they don't know
- Cannot afford the tool they really want
- Cannot justify the cost of the tool, compared to how much it will be used

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore, though I do still make a lot of money from night and weekend work, I will take Snap-On over anything else every time. They are good tools, I had a good tool dealer who I am still friends with, and I've used cheaper stuff that just doesn't compare. I treated my tool bill with my dealer just like a bill. If you don't pay your electric it gets shut off, if you don't pay your tool dealer he takes your stuff. As I bought more my payments went up, but usually I needed whatever I was buying and it made my jobs go faster so I made more money because I could get more jobs done per day.

Change the cylinder heads on any new motor that requires ft-lb plus degrees, I'll beat your HF every time with my Snap-On digital. I'll feel better about its accuracy over the HF also. I've had cheaper torque wrenches and they don't hold their accuracy. Talking trail use, yeah I'm not going to have my digitals on the trail. But if it is something I'm so concerned about the torque on that I actually carry a torque wrench, it will be a Snap-On clicker in a hard plastic case, and then probably even bubble wrapped or something. It's most likely going to be a major repair for me to break out the torque wrench, and unless its something not allowing me to trailer my heep there then I'm going to try to get it back to the trailer and probably just work on it when I get home anyways.

Last edited:

BlackKnight

I Absolutely agree Snap-On tools are probably the top tool in the industry, as a kid I worked in my uncles garage during the summers, at 15 I broke down a chevelle 454 engine and rebuilt it using all of the shop tools, 100% snap-on.. but now I'm not a wrencher by trade, and I'm not expecting to be needing my torque wrench more than a couple times a year, and the digital addon for HF is $39 and acurate to with .1lbs 3 out of 5 times, with the other 2 times dead on, and after six months was the same. For now, and on the trail I'll throw one in my kit, and throw in a breakerbar for $15-20, and not worry about it...

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the responses everyone. Maybe I should elaborate a little as to the reason I'm considering upgrading to a better torque wrench. I will be swapping out front and rear axles soon, doing the work myself. That's a lot of bolts and I want to make sure I get things right so I don't run into problems later down the road. Probably just me as I'm kind of picky about this stuff. Having said this, I need to keep within my budget and that's about $150. Think I'll pick up the snap-on I've found at Amazon for just that.

GCM 2

Thanks for the responses everyone. Maybe I should elaborate a little as to the reason I'm considering upgrading to a better torque wrench. I will be swapping out front and rear axles soon, doing the work myself. That's a lot of bolts and I want to make sure I get things right so I don't run into problems later down the road. Probably just me as I'm kind of picky about this stuff. Having said this, I need to keep within my budget and that's about $150. Think I'll pick up the snap-on I've found at Amazon for just that.

Perfect choice! Sounds like you compromised in the right areas. You should be very happy with that level of torque wrench.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I've been looking at the same one. Please let me know what you think

GCM 2

I've been looking at the same one. Please let me know what you think

Chris I have the CDI (by Snap On) 3/8" 10-100 ft/lbs, $110.00. Works great, but my only complaint is that when it gets filthy around the grip and smears up onto the indicator numbers, it gets hard to read. Works flawlessly though. It's almost too pretty to take on the trail, that's why I bought the Husky model from Home Depot ;)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Chris I have the CDI (by Snap On) 3/8" 10-100 ft/lbs, $110.00. Works great, but my only complaint is that when it gets filthy around the grip and smears up onto the indicator numbers, it gets hard to read. Works flawlessly though. It's almost too pretty to take on the trail, that's why I bought the Husky model from Home Depot ;)

I can't imagine anything you own staying dirty for very long.

I'll take a look at that one. Thanks!

GCM 2

I can't imagine anything you own staying dirty for very long.

I'll take a look at that one. Thanks!

Ha! You know it!

Take a look at all the CDI stuff by Snap On, check amazon as stated in the earlier posts. Lots of choice in sizes and capacities!

Tackerdown

Banned
Not sure if anyone threw this out there , yes for me it was the price at the time I needed it but don't get the ace hardware one. the space between the gear is very large. Probably a 4 to 6 " swing before it clicks. It will do for now though.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

Top Bottom