Regearing (3.21 to 4.10?) - RaccøønJK

Journeyman

4.10 to 4.56 if your sticking with 33's
I'm on 35's rt now that actually measure out to 33.5 with 4.10 at 80 mph I'm sitting at about 2600 rpm in overdrive.

tucked

My vote is 4.56 or 4.88... i have 4.88's with 35's, 3.6L and Auto.. wishing now I would have gone with 5.13s. RPMs on the highway are higher... but I sometimes tow a trailer and those higher RPMs are nice! I think I could be happy with 4.88s and 33's.. .knowing I'd still be good for 35s later.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
As a cost prospective you will not see enough gain swapping to a 4.10. If you were looking at getting a new to you rubicon and planned on 35s asap then I would make sure to get the 4.10s as a minimum. I have a 2014 with the 3.6, auto, 4.10s and currently run 35s. I made sure when I bought the rubi that it had the 4.10s as I knew I was going to go to 35s asap and didnt want to swap gears right out of the gate. It works fine for most of what I do and really the only time so far that I have wished for a deeper gear was when we were in Colorado and traveling between Durango and Silverton. I will probably even run 37s and the 4.10s for a bit just because of money. It wont be ideal but it will work for most of my driving.

There have already been plenty of recommendations here, I say 4.88s or 5.13s. If you run 5.13s I would leave the front unlocked and/or be careful to not bounce too much when wheeling or get it in a bind. Or I would try to get a PR 44 as soon as I could and then most likely get the 5.13s. If your only sticking with 35s you will probably be fine with the 4.88s since you have a standard.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you think 3.73 is enough for 33's, you should drive one with that setup. 4.10 would be okay for 33's, but I find 3.73 to be a little lacking. If you go 35's, you'll want more than 4.10, at least 4.56. I doubt the difference in gas mileage between 4.10 & 4.56 would be that great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467899424.646123.jpg

benatc1

Hooked
While I was planning my re-gear (3.6L, Manual, 2 door) I was thinking 4.56 based on how my jeep is still my daily. I felt as if the 33s i ran with my 3.73 were kinda sluggish but when I put on my 35s before i had my gears done (about a week) it was an absolute dog. The guy who did my gears recommended I do 4.88s as id likely be wasting my money with 4.56 as id just be getting back to a stock ratio. I couldn't be happier with my decision, plenty of power and heck with my top off im still getting 17-18mpg on the highway on longer trips. anything less that 4.56 you just wont see the benefits in what you just dropped cash on. My vote is 4.88s for 35s and it will also allow you to handle 37s in the future without to much of a loss.

BenJKWrangler15

4.10 to 4.56 if your sticking with 33's
I'm on 35's rt now that actually measure out to 33.5 with 4.10 at 80 mph I'm sitting at about 2600 rpm in overdrive.

My vote is 4.56 or 4.88... i have 4.88's with 35's, 3.6L and Auto.. wishing now I would have gone with 5.13s. RPMs on the highway are higher... but I sometimes tow a trailer and those higher RPMs are nice! I think I could be happy with 4.88s and 33's.. .knowing I'd still be good for 35s later.

As a cost prospective you will not see enough gain swapping to a 4.10. If you were looking at getting a new to you rubicon and planned on 35s asap then I would make sure to get the 4.10s as a minimum. I have a 2014 with the 3.6, auto, 4.10s and currently run 35s. I made sure when I bought the rubi that it had the 4.10s as I knew I was going to go to 35s asap and didnt want to swap gears right out of the gate. It works fine for most of what I do and really the only time so far that I have wished for a deeper gear was when we were in Colorado and traveling between Durango and Silverton. I will probably even run 37s and the 4.10s for a bit just because of money. It wont be ideal but it will work for most of my driving.

There have already been plenty of recommendations here, I say 4.88s or 5.13s. If you run 5.13s I would leave the front unlocked and/or be careful to not bounce too much when wheeling or get it in a bind. Or I would try to get a PR 44 as soon as I could and then most likely get the 5.13s. If your only sticking with 35s you will probably be fine with the 4.88s since you have a standard.

If you think 3.73 is enough for 33's, you should drive one with that setup. 4.10 would be okay for 33's, but I find 3.73 to be a little lacking. If you go 35's, you'll want more than 4.10, at least 4.56. I doubt the difference in gas mileage between 4.10 & 4.56 would be that great. View attachment 211561

While I was planning my re-gear (3.6L, Manual, 2 door) I was thinking 4.56 based on how my jeep is still my daily. I felt as if the 33s i ran with my 3.73 were kinda sluggish but when I put on my 35s before i had my gears done (about a week) it was an absolute dog. The guy who did my gears recommended I do 4.88s as id likely be wasting my money with 4.56 as id just be getting back to a stock ratio. I couldn't be happier with my decision, plenty of power and heck with my top off im still getting 17-18mpg on the highway on longer trips. anything less that 4.56 you just wont see the benefits in what you just dropped cash on. My vote is 4.88s for 35s and it will also allow you to handle 37s in the future without to much of a loss.

Thank you guys for everything. I'll be doing 4.88's since keeping the stock D30 up front, as of now.

Really appreciate it!!!

[emoji41]

christov11

Thank you guys for everything. I'll be doing 4.88's since keeping the stock D30 up front, as of now.

Really appreciate it!!!

[emoji41]

Man, am i ever happy i saw this post! I was reading about gearing for the last week and couldnt wrap my head around it. Maybe it was the fact that it would be before bed when my IQ is close to a grasshoppers'!

not highjacking the thread, just want to show appreciation for the great, simplified info.

BenJKWrangler15

Man, am i ever happy i saw this post! I was reading about gearing for the last week and couldnt wrap my head around it. Maybe it was the fact that it would be before bed when my IQ is close to a grasshoppers'!

not highjacking the thread, just want to show appreciation for the great, simplified info.

You're welcome, glad it could help you too!

Top Bottom