Regearing? An age old question..But wait, there's more.. how's your oil filter?

DanW

My buddy has 4.88’s and a manual with the 3.8 and 35’s. It’s a perfect fit.

I can’t remember the last time I have so regretted clicking on a thread on this forum. I can’t help but think you are an engineer in real life. Either way, I bet your friends voluntarily throw themselves into the fire when camping with you. I know I would.
Well, I probably wouldn't stop you.

How many RPMs is he running at 75mph? I'd think he'd be pushing close to 3k. I would love to drive that Jeep and see how it feels and sounds at highway speeds. I'd bet that around town it woke that 3.8 up pretty good. Mine (3.8 JK) seems adequate enough with 33's and 4.10 and manual that I've never had a desire to regear it. But my JL's tall 5th and super tall 6th make me think about it enough that I'm going to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the info on that JK. That is helpful to me as I think it through.

DanW

I use factory filters on every vehicle I've owned. They've taken the time to engineer the damn things, why would I need to trust anything else?
So you guys keep going with the filters, but I'll get the blame for it. Oh well, I don't really give a shit anymore.

They give specs and the low bidding vendor designs and supplies them. Vendors not getting the contract then design theirs to meet or exceed the OEM's specs. OEM's spec the minimum, which is fine, but do not perform the best. But again, they are easily good enough. But usually not any cheaper than a better performing aftermarket filter.

So let's say Purolator gets the Mopar filter contract. They will also have their own premium line that will outperform what they are providing to Mopar. It will exceed the specs by sometimes a wide margin.

Anyone jump in the fire yet? I sure hope so. Anyone need a push?

DanW

We need to be nice to this cupcake or he said he will leave. He said the forum needs moderation. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Now its cupcake. I've moved up from Douche? You softening up all of a sudden, or did you stop trying to live up to my expectations of you? Maybe I'll stick around just to annoy. Seems to be working. :)

DanW

Back to topic....The thing I'm wondering about with Jeep is the Xtreme Recon coming out in August. It comes standard with 4.56 gears (and 35's) for both auto and manual. But the manual gets the option of 4.88's. So did they do that just to get 1 up on the Bronco's crawl ratio or because it hits the sweet spot for performance? If the former, then I'd say they fully expect buyers to go right out and swap the 35's for 37's.

I'd love to know how it drives/feels. But I haven't heard from a JL owner with a manual and 4.88's. Lots of them with 4.56's and 35, though. The 4.88 crowd seem to all run 37's, which I don't want to do.

I did a lot of driving today and I'm leaning pretty strongly toward 4.56. I'm just holding out to hear directly from someone with 4.88's/35's/manual.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Back to topic....The thing I'm wondering about with Jeep is the Xtreme Recon coming out in August. It comes standard with 4.56 gears (and 35's) for both auto and manual. But the manual gets the option of 4.88's. So did they do that just to get 1 up on the Bronco's crawl ratio or because it hits the sweet spot for performance? If the former, then I'd say they fully expect buyers to go right out and swap the 35's for 37's.

I'd love to know how it drives/feels. But I haven't heard from a JL owner with a manual and 4.88's. Lots of them with 4.56's and 35, though. The 4.88 crowd seem to all run 37's, which I don't want to do.

I did a lot of driving today and I'm leaning pretty strongly toward 4.56. I'm just holding out to hear directly from someone with 4.88's/35's/manual.
Probably to get people like you to waste hours and hours of your life wondering if 4.56 or 4.88 are better and which will save you 100 rpm. Normal people just make a fucking decision and go out and use their Jeeps but clearly that is not your engineer self.

Probably to get people like you to waste hours and hours of your life wondering if 4.56 or 4.88 are better and which will save you 100 rpm. Normal people just make a fucking decision and go out and use their Jeeps but clearly that is not your engineer self.
Nah, real engineers could look at a basic gear chart and would’ve been done by now.

MericaMade

I had one and hated it. Stick with 4.56. You wont like 4.88s.

Ddays

Hooked
So you guys keep going with the filters, but I'll get the blame for it. Oh well, I don't really give a shit anymore.

They give specs and the low bidding vendor designs and supplies them. Vendors not getting the contract then design theirs to meet or exceed the OEM's specs. OEM's spec the minimum, which is fine, but do not perform the best. But again, they are easily good enough. But usually not any cheaper than a better performing aftermarket filter.

So let's say Purolator gets the Mopar filter contract. They will also have their own premium line that will outperform what they are providing to Mopar. It will exceed the specs by sometimes a wide margin.

Anyone jump in the fire yet? I sure hope so. Anyone need a push?
I didn't read this after the first sentence. It's because I don't care. 🙅‍♂️

DanW

I didn't read this after the first sentence. It's because I don't care. 🙅‍♂️
But you cared enough to reply. I am touched. Or was it that you are worried you are wrong about how OEM's spec their filters?

Last edited:

DanW

I had one and hated it. Stick with 4.56. You wont like 4.88s.

I think you are right. I think the 4.56 hits the sweet spot. It'll be slightly better than it was stock with 33's, based on the 34.86" actual size of my tires. I think 4.88 would put 6th a little taller than I want it and 1st a little too short. After some highway drives, I think 2400 rpms is about right for 75mph. It felt good there on a few highway runs. It should be about 250-300rpm higher than what it is now, and gets it into a little better spot on the power band.

Appreciate the advice! I just ordered Dana/Spicer 4.56 rings/pinions and the Master Overhaul kits for each set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom