Remembering 9-11 where were you?

I was on leave between commands. I had just left the USS George Washington three days before and wasn't due to my next command, USS Ronald Reagan, for another couple weeks. Since I was off I was on the way to Richmond, VA with my wife and kids for my daughter's skating lesson. We heard the news of the first plane hitting a tower on the radio. We had no idea what was happening. When we got to the skating rink we saw the second impact. We were stunned. I spent the next hour trying to contact both commands and watching this horror unfold on TV. I couldnt get through to either. Cell signals were completely useless in the Norfolk area since there was so much cell traffic. The Washington entered the harbor in New York later that day to assist in the search and rescue operations.

I was only in kindergarten but can still remember sitting in my parents bedroom watching the tv not understanding what was happening. I got the chance to go to the memorial this summer at ground zero and it was one of the most moving experiences I have ever had.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473616448.487090.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473616473.526839.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473616495.372478.jpg

I was only in kindergarten but can still remember sitting in my parents bedroom watching the tv not understanding what was happening. I got the chance to go to the memorial this summer at ground zero and it was one of the most moving experiences I have ever had.

Fuuuuck. Kindergarten?!?! I'm "old". I was 15, sophomore, in my photography class watching it live on TV. It is what motivated me to join the fire service.

I was in 5th grade when it happened. We were doing those paper machey wrap balloons and the teacher got a call and then turned on the tv. We were just there watching it they said a plane hit the tower I was thinking how does a Lil plane hit a huge tower. Then later the 2nd one hit.

I had just joined the Marine Corps 4 months prior, had already graduated from boot camp and MCT, and was checking into my next unit, the training school house for the aircraft I worked on. Crazy day.

I was at work that morning and our general manager came back to our warehouse to give us the news. My truck route that day was Trenton and lower Brunswick area. I told my dispatcher there's no way I'm driving up that way. At the time rumors were that plane were targeting state capitols. Long story short, I did half my run and raced home to where it was safe. Crazy day.

Edit: To add to the story. I'm in the liquor business and many of the liquor stores are owned by Arab people. Talk about an uncomfortable situation to be in.

Last edited:
Wow a lot of young guys on here. I was sleeping until my girlfriend wife now came in and said the twin towers got hit and in my confusion of waking up I said what twin towers there are no twin towers and then she said the ones in New York and I was like oh shit and I dropped out of bed and watch it on TV just as the second tower got hit.

Damn I'm really old, I had retired almost 4 years before that from the military. I was working on my work bench in the shop at work listening to the radio when they broke in to say the first plane had hit one of the towers. I yelled accross the shop and everyone stopped what they were doing and listened to what was going on. When we heard who was responsible it brought back memories of the movie Red Dawn and I wanted them to attack so I could take out some of them assholes. I stand and salute all those that lost their lives that day and the families that lost someone.

I had a job selling automotive paint when it happened. I remember soon after going outside of our shop and two fighters and Air Force One flew over our building headed to Offutt.

Fort Worth Texas, working for Motorola running live video test on some equipment, same thing when the Challenger exploded and when flight 191 went down in Dallas.

It was a day just like any other, my wife and I were both getting ready for work, with the news on in the back ground. Heard the news of the first plane hitting, then by the time I got to work, the second plane had hit. I half assed an antenna on a small TV at my store and had the news on all day. Needless to say, it was a very somber and surreal day. My heart still goes out to all that were affected. America for ever changed that day.

Working as a developer at a commercial electrical contractor in St. Louis. Went in to get a coffee refill and noticed a group of people huddled around the break room tv.

I was working as a contractor at Disney down in the tunnel under the Magic Kingdom... I walked past one of the lunchrooms where people were gathered around a tv and saw the first plane hit the tower and kept walking. Then it registered that what I just saw was VERY WRONG!! I turned around and watched for a minute or so until security came down and cleared us all out immediately. I stopped by my office to see what I should do for the rest of the day, still not knowing exactly what was going on. We all just sat there watching the shop tv as the second plane hit the tower in all of our disbelief.
Thank you to ALL that have served and are still serving this country.

I have a brother in the Marines and at times we don't know where he is.... Luckily for us that wasn't one of those times but it did make me think of all the families that didn't know where their family members may have been.
NEVER FORGET

Just got out of the shower at the gym. Stood there staring at the TV is disbelief. Was getting dressed when the second plane hit. When I got to work, people were just watching the news.

I was at work meeting with a vendor about adding a cold, black oxide line to our facility. We were heading back to my desk in the front office from the shop when we happened to notice a bunch of co-workers huddled around a tv in a conference room. It was hard to believe that a plane hit the first tower and then right before our eyes, the second plane hit. I will always remember that!

Was in my first semester of college. Settin in my truck waiting on class when the first plane hit, got out of the truck and headed to class. 2nd plane hit while we were in class. The professor stopped class and we just all talked about it. Every class that day no matter the subject we talked about what happened.

Top Bottom