Remove inner fender to replace right front shock?

Angus2BCJ

1682972011874.png

I’m getting ready to change the front (and rear) shocks on my 2015 JKU - stock suspension, 0” lift.

The thing I am wondering about is that the Jeep service manual tells me to remove the inner fenders before removing the front shocks...

Jeep didn’t give us much access room here. From what I see, the plastic area circled in yellow (this is the front pass side) significantly obstructs access to the upper shock mount, but this does not look to be part of the inner fender. If so, I am not understanding how removing the inner fender would help much.

So, is there an advantage in removing the inner fender? Should I cut out some of the plastic in the circled area with a Dremel to improve access to the shock mount?

Thank you in advance.

jesse3638

Hooked
View attachment 388797

I’m getting ready to change the front (and rear) shocks on my 2015 JKU - stock suspension, 0” lift.

The thing I am wondering about is that the Jeep service manual tells me to remove the inner fenders before removing the front shocks...

Jeep didn’t give us much access room here. From what I see, the plastic area circled in yellow (this is the front pass side) significantly obstructs access to the upper shock mount, but this does not look to be part of the inner fender. If so, I am not understanding how removing the inner fender would help much.

So, is there an advantage in removing the inner fender? Should I cut out some of the plastic in the circled area with a Dremel to improve access to the shock mount?

Thank you in advance.
I didn't remove my inner fender when I installed either sets of shocks. I did however trim a significant amount of the battery tray (what you have circled) to make access much easier. If you don't want to do that you can always remove it instead.

Upvote 0

duktrx

View attachment 388797

Thank you in advance.

I didn't need to remove the inner fender or cut on the battery tray; I had just enough room to slip a gear wrench up there and tighten it down. Then used a crowfoot wrench on my torque wrench to torque it properly.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom