Repairing a hard top

Chairokey

I crushed a bit of fiberglass on the rear of my hard top. What is the best way to go Bout repairing/containing the damage? Any tried and tested products or write ups anyone could refer me to? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380493482.072075.jpg

Chairokey

I crushed a bit of fiberglass on the rear of my hard top. What is the best way to go Bout repairing/containing the damage? Any tried and tested products or write ups anyone could refer me to? Thanks!

View attachment 50833

thanks, that 2nd idea looks closer to what i need. but i wonder if i need to do all of that drilling since the damage isn't all the way through right now. i was wondering if there was a way to fill it with resin or some kind of special putty and do it all from the outside..

David1tontj

There was a thread on this about a month or so ago... "Hard top repair question". It Might have an answer

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Chairokey

Ya I saw that one but it was talking about cracks I believe. Didn't know if it would be the same process

Spartan

Had mine fixed at a small local place. It was about $500, but it's water tight, and unless you know where to look you can't even tell that it was ever damaged.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I dont think you would need to drill it out like in the first video. Probably just sand it down and take out any of the fibers that are "stray". Then apply some sort of epoxy, or possibly even bondo? The real trick would be trying to match the texture that the hard tops have.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just sand it down and apply the resin. Practice on some scrap wood first. It's not too hard. Then you have to sand the hell out of it to get it flush.

Honestly if I were you I would just pay to have it done unless you have a garage. Winter is like next week for you so time is running out. Lol

View attachment 50833

Option 1

rough sand the area.

then take a small 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit and make 3-5 shallow holes making sure you do not go all the way through the top.

cut some fine fiber glass mat to the size of the damage with about a 1/16 lip.

Test fit all pieces before mixing resin.

Thoroughly clean are with the recommended chemical (MEK*, Acetone*, Alphatic Naptha*, etc) as outlined on the 2 part fiberglass resin.

Mix resin as specified on the can. trust me if you mix it to hot you will have a big sticky mess

Apply resin then fiber glass matting apply resin

Put a piece of wax paper on the repair area with a minimum of 3 inches of over hang

using a non-matalic spatula work any excess resin out making sure to follow the contour of the top, specifically the rounded edge

Let resin sit for required time before removing wax paper. Should peel right off

Scuff sand with 220 working up to 320

apply textured paint

Option 2

sand and paint with textured paint.

if you use bondo do drill some shallow holes so the bondo has something to hold on too.

* Note: When using these chemical proper Personal Protective Equipment is strongly encouraged. Respirator and gloves in an open area. Garage use a fan to circulate the air.

R/
Will

Chairokey

Option 1

rough sand the area.

then take a small 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit and make 3-5 shallow holes making sure you do not go all the way through the top.

cut some fine fiber glass mat to the size of the damage with about a 1/16 lip.

Test fit all pieces before mixing resin.

Thoroughly clean are with the recommended chemical (MEK*, Acetone*, Alphatic Naptha*, etc) as outlined on the 2 part fiberglass resin.

Mix resin as specified on the can. trust me if you mix it to hot you will have a big sticky mess

Apply resin then fiber glass matting apply resin

Put a piece of wax paper on the repair area with a minimum of 3 inches of over hang

using a non-matalic spatula work any excess resin out making sure to follow the contour of the top, specifically the rounded edge

Let resin sit for required time before removing wax paper. Should peel right off

Scuff sand with 220 working up to 320

apply textured paint

Option 2

sand and paint with textured paint.

if you use bondo do drill some shallow holes so the bondo has something to hold on too.

* Note: When using these chemical proper Personal Protective Equipment is strongly encouraged. Respirator and gloves in an open area. Garage use a fan to circulate the air.

R/
Will

Thank you that is all very helpful! Question though..

You can see that it is crushed in with frayed fiber glass sticking out the side of the crushed black part in the middle. Do I need to sand THROUGH that big black area? Or just around it where the fiber glass shows?

Thank you that is all very helpful! Question though..

You can see that it is crushed in with frayed fiber glass sticking out the side of the crushed black part in the middle. Do I need to sand THROUGH that big black area? Or just around it where the fiber glass shows?

use a very sharp utility knife to clean the fiberglass threads. when sanding around the area it is provide a rough area for the resin to hold onto. Do not go too crazy with the sanding.

If you use resin and fiberglass mat use good making tape and start from the bottom and work your way to the top to apply pressure. Start with one side of the rounded conrner then the opposite side of the rounded corner the the center. This will help keep the contour and reduce the ammount of sanding. If I had a hard top I could show you pictures, however I am deployed and the JK is in Middleburg, Florida.

There is a product which you can add to the resin to make it stronger. I do not know the extact terminology for it but it is a fine ground fiberglass mat.

I would HIGHLY recommend using a dusk mask when doing any sanding. You do not want to breathe any of the fiberglass dust.

R/
Will

jeeeep

Hooked
if you don't want to tackle the job yourself, take it to a boat repair shop for a quote. I had on older top with damage and body place quote was much higher than a boat repair shop.

Top Bottom