Replacing Headers with OEM Exhaust Manifolds

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
The hardest and most time consuming part for any manifold I've done has been the removal of everything above and around it.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

About the removal and install time. It took me about 7 hours when I removed the cracked OEM Manifolds and installed the JAB headers...but I also replaced the entire exhaust system including the catalytic converter. I spent about 2.5 hours just to separate the exhaust piping from the old CAT. Complete PIA, and after 2 hours of trying various ways to separate the piping, I finally separated it by using my angle grinder...not fun in the 100 Alabama heat. This time it took me about 5 hours over two days (Saturday night and Sunday morning) and the temperature was in the teens in my garage. I’m just glad I have a garage to do the work in, I couldn’t have done it outside with the wind blowing. I would have gotten it done much quicker if I would have realized that I could basically sit in front of the engine bay. That may sound strange but I finally got tired of staining to bend over the fender to reach and see what I was working on. So I stood on my front bumper and decided to slide my right leg in front of the serpentine belt and rest it on the track bar. I sat my butt on the radiator with my left leg dangling over the bumper. I’m sure this sounds weird but it was much more comfortable and conducive to getting this repair accomplished. That positioning allowed me to easily reach the bolts on both Manifolds. If I would have figured that out beforehand, this second replacement and install would have taken me around 2 hours.

Concerning the header manifold bolts, I ended up re-using the manifold bolts that came with my JBA headers. They were still in very good condition and didn’t seem damaged. So far so good...it’s only been a few days but I’m already much happier when I drive my rig.

texasfloodjk

Just curious, did you notice any actual power gains with the headers?

Any header manufacturer will tell you you'll gain 3-5 HP. That's just not true with a mostly stock engine though. But The headers will flow a lot better than the cast manifold in any vehicle! An engine is basically a big air pump. The quicker and more efficiently you can get air in and get it out the more power. But....unless your getting more air IN there isn't any need to get more air OUT. In short...don't expect to see or feel any power gains with headers unless your talking forced induction/bigger injectors/intake manifold. But it sure will make your rig sound awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom