Rock Krawler 3.5 Flex - Install Issues

DRTYRAT30

With that kit you should have lower 3" puck style bumps single bolt through middle. In the coil on the pad. Your steering wheel is probably off center and throwing your jeeps traction control off making the brakes and computer do weird stuff

xxJWPxx

With that kit you should have lower 3" puck style bumps single bolt through middle. In the coil on the pad. Your steering wheel is probably off center and throwing your jeeps traction control off making the brakes and computer do weird stuff

That's what I thought. The pucks don't look to be installed and they weren't in the box of my old parts the shop gave back to me.

Drive wise it's driving straight and the suspension feels nice, what I had hoped for.

xxJWPxx

I'm supposed to go camping today/this weekend. Is it ok to drive with them heim joints all out of whack?

Jeepfan30

I'm supposed to go camping today/this weekend. Is it ok to drive with them heim joints all out of whack?

You will be fine. I have run those arms before, it's not going to hurt anything, just try to straighten them when you get back from camping.

Sullivan

Your fine to go camping like you are. I have the same lift and mine were a pain to get locked down straight at first. Now I got it and can do it under the jeep easily.

rogerk93

Take your Jeep back to who ever decided to install that lift because they messed up on a few things and who knows what other corners they cut. Have them go over the entire suspension and fix everything wrong

DRTYRAT30

Just noticed your out in oakdale. If you want take it over to wade at off-road enterprise in Stockton/linden area. He will get it right. And if you want to borrow my control arm jigs let me know I'm up in Lodi

Hot94Z28

That's what I thought. The pucks don't look to be installed and they weren't in the box of my old parts the shop gave back to me.

Drive wise it's driving straight and the suspension feels nice, what I had hoped for.

If you ordered from Northridge mine came without the bump stops, I had to call them and have them shipped to me as they forgot them. I would not disconnect the end links till you have bump stops as you will over compress your shocks.

I would think the misaligned joints will be ok as long as you're not doing too much wheeling at the mall.

xxJWPxx

Just noticed your out in oakdale. If you want take it over to wade at off-road enterprise in Stockton/linden area. He will get it right. And if you want to borrow my control arm jigs let me know I'm up in Lodi

Thanks, appreciate the offer. I'll check Off-road enterprise out.

xxJWPxx

If you ordered from Northridge mine came without the bump stops, I had to call them and have them shipped to me as they forgot them. I would not disconnect the end links till you have bump stops as you will over compress your shocks.

I would think the misaligned joints will be ok as long as you're not doing too much wheeling at the mall.

I had both front and rear bump stops with everything I dropped off for install. The shop just neglected to install the fronts. I'll be getting the fronts back from the shop.

Hartj17

LOSER
those joints need to be straighter than what they are. The shop probably tried to torque the jam nuts on the jeep with no wedge in there to keep it straight. They probably have never dealt with that suspension before. For the bum stops, usually TF bumpstop goes up top, not like the RK puck system that is drilled in down below.

DRTYRAT30

My x-factor kit came with round puck style with single bolt threw middle. Also did they add the coil spring retainers to keep your coils from popping out when flexed. Just something else to check on.

Hot94Z28

I had both front and rear bump stops with everything I dropped off for install. The shop just neglected to install the fronts. I'll be getting the fronts back from the shop.

Damn sounds like you should of done the install yourself. They really fucked your shit up.

xxJWPxx

Damn sounds like you should of done the install yourself. They really fucked your shit up.

Totally. I had planned on doing the install myself but was worried I'd get it all apart and get stuck. I'm kind of out in the middle of nowhere and don't know any jeepers near me so I decided to pay some professionals to make sure it was done right. Shit I was wrong on that one. The shop was recommended to me and me not being from the area went off that recommendation.

deezus

I had my Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex System lift installed today at a local shop and after getting it home noticed a few items for concern. I'm still learning all things lift and am hoping some of you can look at the pics below and confirm my concerns and point out any others I may have missed.

First on the list was the lower control arm joints on the drivers side weren't straight. I noticed this at pick up and mentioned it to one of the mechanics and he said it's normal and it would move/straighten itself out. I don't believe this to be accurate but the shop was closing and I figured I'd see how it looked when I got it home and address it with the shop tomorrow if needed. Now that I'm home both driver side and passenger side front and rear lower control arms are slanted not straight (pic below). I this normal for them to not sit centered/straight? Will driving around damage the joints in this position?

Second item, unless I'm not reading the RK install instructions right is the front swaybar disconnects appear to be mounted upside down. The top nuts on the sbd were also not tightened (see pic below). I can flip these (shouldn't have to) but am concerned that if something like this was overlooked, what else could be done wrong.

Third, I don't see the Teraflex front lower bumpstops installed. It's my understanding they should be on the bottom plate inside the front spring ? The rear bumpstops are installed though.

I also encountered a flashing check engine light while going up a steady incline. Felt like I lost a bit of power at the pedal for a moment. It lasted maybe 30 seconds and then went a way. I checked for codes but none came up?

From what I can tell everything else seemed to be ok. Exhaust spacers were installed, front track bar looked ok, rear track bar bracket, etc. Anything I should look for with these items?

Item 1:
View attachment 209602

View attachment 209603

Item 2 & 3
View attachment 209604

Let me guess, 4 wheel parts did the install?

Before I knew anything about jeeps, and I still don't know much, I had the "Shop" in Sacramento that installs everything they sell do my xfactor and tell me the exact same thing. I called RK and was told the exact opposite. I had to go back to have my arms re adjusted 4 times and they still couldn't get it right as well as tell me RK said heims misaligned were normal which they weren't. I mean I'm okay with missing shi9t mon a job just own up to it and correct it but they couldn't even do that!!You see the RK systems are great but install is, imo, not for the beginner. There torques settings for there arms are like 250 lbs!!I finally found a shop by posting on here that went through and straightened all my heims and torque the sheet out of them. They haven't moved, that doesn't mean they wont, youll probably have to have them re checked and re torqued. If I had it to do all over again, I would've drove down ORE and had them do a 4" kit with King shocks. Hell, guess what I'm doing this weekend? Installing front bumpstops because my shocks are my bumpstops.....another feature of the lift I got by going to "The Shop".

xxJWPxx

Anyone know what size grease fitting goes into the sway-bar disconnects? Mine surprisingly weren't installed when they did my lift. The list keeps getting better. Anyhow, Rock Krawler is closed for the day and I was hoping someone here knew what size they are so I can see if my local part store has any.

The extra's I have are too big to thread into the sbd:
IMG_6390.JPG

You can see in this pic where it's supposed to go:
IMG_6285.jpg

xman4602

You need to go over the RK instructions with the manager and explain your problems. They should be embarrassed to just half ass a kit install like that and hope the customer just buys their BS excuses of why it doesn't look right.

Those control arm jam nuts need an average 250-300ft lbs of torque. I made a custom jig so I can remove and center each joint to keep them straight and then torque with a large wrench and then beat that wrench with a heavy mallet and use plenty of red loctite. They won't go anywhere after that. Unless you use heat and repeat in reverse to get them loose for re adjustments. Make sure your greese fittings are on top of your joints.
View attachment 209614 View attachment 209615 View attachment 209616 View attachment 209617

You wanna sell that jig? I miss being a machinist on days like this!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom