Rock sliders

JAGS

Hooked
:crazyeyes::cheesy: This thread is hilarious. That's something coming from me. Just saying.

El Toro

So let me get this straight. You've taken a solid object (the sliders) and mounted them concurrently to two separate objects: (1) the frame that doesn't move and (2) the pinch seam that is part of the tub and moves with the tub on the rubber isolators. So basically, you have bolted your body to the frame so the rubber isolators no longer work. Well, that sounds like a hell of an idea.:crazy eyes:

Post up pics when you rip your tub apart.

Have you personally seen this happen? Any pictures? I'm being serious. I'd like to learn and if, in fact, this is a common occurance, I'll be the first to change my sliders. I certainly don't want to damage my vehicle.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Have you personally seen this happen? Any pictures? I'm being serious. I'd like to learn and if, in fact, this is a common occurance, I'll be the first to change my sliders. I certainly don't want to damage my vehicle.

Search River raider on google images. Their first sliders mounted this way. Plenty of evidence of you care to look.

wharfrat1121

Unlike the TJ, YJ and CJ before which essentially had what looked like rubber hockey pucks for body mounts, the JK is the first Wrangler to come with TRUE body mounts in that they are "isolators". Take one off and give it a close look and you will see how it is a rubber mount in a steel collar with a crush sleeve in the center that you can practically move by hand. These isolators will allow for a tremendous amount of movement and that's one of the reasons why you feel such little road noise in a JK. In fact, there is enough movement here that if you run a CB coax cable through the rear quarter panel so that you can route it onto a rear bumper tire carrier, a big hit to that bumper can cause the pinch seam to make contact with the frame and cut that cable. How do I know? It's happened to us on our Jeep and I saw it happen. The video you are referring to is Part 1 of the JKX where the RFA Jeep hits a rock at Walker Valley hard enough to move the rocker guard toward the body. Again, this is due to the isolators and it will allow for the same kind of movement and ANY rocker guard mounted to the frame rails will show the same thing. This is NOT to say that there aren't some rocker guards that do in fact bend. I have personally seen where a set of PSC rocker guards have taken a hit and bent up to the point where they prevented the passenger side doors from opening.

Very suprised to hear this about PSC. Good to know though.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Cany say I have every hit my evo sliders yet....2 doors are so short its rare with the standard angle vs step (i know cozdude has used his a few times since they are "wider") but they are great sliders for sure. Hell even the stock rubi rails can take a beating from what eddie says.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

No, I have not personally seen sliders mounted to both the frame and pinch seam at the same time. I don't need to. The mechanics are simple. If two independent systems are bolted together with an immovable object, and one of those systems was supposed to be able to move...shit is going to break. Take your shocks off, replace them with some angle iron, and go for a nice hard drive on some whoops. Your axle will no longer move (well, it will once you break the mount off the axle, or the frame, or both).

I'm not trying to be flippant or berate you for buying the product. I'm just very surprised that a company would think it is a good idea to take away the tub's ability to move around on the isolators.

El Toro

No, I have not personally seen sliders mounted to both the frame and pinch seam at the same time. I don't need to. The mechanics are simple. If two independent systems are bolted together with an immovable object, and one of those systems was supposed to be able to move...shit is going to break. Take your shocks off, replace them with some angle iron, and go for a nice hard drive on some whoops. Your axle will no longer move (well, it will once you break the mount off the axle, or the frame, or both).

I'm not trying to be flippant or berate you for buying the product. I'm just very surprised that a company would think it is a good idea to take away the tub's ability to move around on the isolators.

Makes sense to me. I was unaware that the body was designed to move. I'll be taking them off for now.

I agree, I'm surprised a company would think this is a good idea. There are lots of parts and pieces that companies make and weeding through them is difficult for a first time JK owner.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Makes sense to me. I was unaware that the body was designed to move. I'll be taking them off for now.

I agree, I'm surprised a company would think this is a good idea. There are lots of parts and pieces that companies make and weeding through them is difficult for a first time JK owner.

There is no question about that! Unfortunately, people make what people will buy and marketing is often very successful (for example, the $700+ TeraFlexandbreak tire carrier.)

Since you purchased the sliders, it might be interesting to see how the company responds if you ask them about the issue.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What kind of rock sliders do y'all like?

There are a few good options out there including EVO and LOD. I personally went with the EVO Sliders and couldn't be happier. I recently put them to the test on the Rubicon and then again at Browns Camp in Tillamook. They took a few hard hits that I'm sure other sliders wouldn't have.

That said, I think the lesson for me was to learn how to pick better lines! :D

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Here is a slow motion video of panda catching his frame. You can see how much the body flex's. I do believe there is a combo of flex between rails, sliders, whatever but the isolators are designed to do just this.

https://vimeo.com/126286572

Yeah, you can see how much the body flexes by the wheel well. The gap between the frame and tub. Thanks for posting this to show how much the body flexed into the frame and how rubber isolators work. The sliders and frame stay together, I don't see the sliders moving separate than the frame either

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Yeah, you can see how much the body flexes by the wheel well. The gap between the frame and tub. Thanks for posting this to show how much the body flexed into the frame and how rubber isolators work.

To this point I agree the body flexed a lot. It also shows that the slider moves a bit too. Thanks for posting that. The body sure does move a lot more then I would have thought.

trailless

Caught the Bug
To the OP:

I chose the LOD sliders as they have a flat top and can be used as somewhat of a step. Its not really as helpful as normal side steps as they are higher up and have a more narrow. But it can be used as such, especially with the help of grab handles, like the grabbars. Also, I chose to have them welded go the frame.

1430250144676.jpg

1430250158844.jpg

1430250179066.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

07JKSahara

I should probably contribute to this thread. I have rubi sliders and have actually been very impressed with them for what they are. That said, I've looked at everything and I think I'll go EVO. I've seen them take serious hits and survive. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom