Rocky Gap Road, Nevada

GP NOIR

Hooked
A friend of mine and I plan to meet in Nevada to run Rocky Gap Road, near Las Vegas Nevada, on Saturday 30 Dec. My friend has a stock two door 2018 JK Sport. He's new to off-roading. I'll be taking my 2012 2 door Rubicon on 35 inch class BFG MTs.

I'm not familiar with Rocky Gap Road. Jeep Badge of Honor rates it as 5-7 and Onx as 7/10. Is anyone familiar with Rocky Gap Road? Is it too much for a stock Wrangler Sport? Or should we plan to take a different trail?

Thanks!

We'd be happy to have anyone join us that day, especially someone who knows the area.

Jeeptime

My friend ran Rocky Gap last Friday. One of the by passes is washed out. He has a 3 inch lift on his JL with 35's. He got stuck when his jeep slipped and his front Diff landed on a rock. They jacked up his front and put rocks under his front tires and winched his jeep back. He grabbed a better line and made it through.
Most people will run Rocky Gap if they are with a good leader and spotter. Trail not recommeded for stock jeeps.

"Rocky Gap is the only Badge of Honor Trail in Nevada!
As the name suggests it's full of Rocks and Gaps (though "Boulderly Gap" would be the more suitable name).
35" Tires are minimum, a bunch of bypasses are washed away, the rock garden might not be optional right now.
Make sure you have a good working spare."

Last edited:

Jeeptime

GP Noir,
Go on Youtube to, Old Man Jeepn.
This is a friend of mine that does a lot of trails everywhere. He leads our group on many trails. Keith is a great guy, very helpful and is a Fantastic Spotter.
He has a recent video of Rocky gap that will help you decide if you want to try.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That rock looks very hard! Not seeing rocks like it it in the photo. This causes me to wonder if the driver decided to drive up on the rock when he did not need to?
100% looks like bad driving.

Clearly speculation but the old couple in the background not working was probably the driver. Puts that into perspective.

Jeeptime

He said he should have asked for a spotter or got out and taken a look at a difficult spot. He lost track of the line after sliding around. He admitted bad judgement and another lesson reinforced. There is a big boulder to left of the driver side to miss. It is a gnarly trail. He has done many trails in Moab and Hurricane and has done well. Just this time, a little fun time with recovery

NevadaJohnny

A friend of mine and I plan to meet in Nevada to run Rocky Gap Road, near Las Vegas Nevada, on Saturday 30 Dec. My friend has a stock two door 2018 JK Sport. He's new to off-roading. I'll be taking my 2012 2 door Rubicon on 35 inch class BFG MTs.

I'm not familiar with Rocky Gap Road. Jeep Badge of Honor rates it as 5-7 and Onx as 7/10. Is anyone familiar with Rocky Gap Road? Is it too much for a stock Wrangler Sport? Or should we plan to take a different trail?

Thanks!

We'd be happy to have anyone join us that day, especially someone who knows the area.
I know a few good trails in the area if you want some options. Let me know.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I know a few good trails in the area if you want some options. Let me know.
Thank you kindly! Unfortunately, my buddy remembered that eight months ago, he bought tickets for some play that day.

Another friend contacted me about hitting some local trails, so this Saturday, we’re headed out to Little Moab.

Still, I want to run Rocky Gap. When I’m ready, I’ll hit you up.

Top Bottom