RTV removal

T&ERun

LOSER
I would think a little heat would help also. Usually heat will make it more pliable and will come off in one piece easier (compared to several small pieces). Just don't apply too much heat. I use a heat gun all the time to remove decals and it makes it much easier. Good luck!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I'm in a pickle and need help. I went to remove my skins last night and at least half of the bolts stripped. I haven't touched these bolts since I installed the skins earlier this year so how could they strip so easily? It was literally half a turn. So I'm suppose to drop the skins off to get blasted today and recoated but need to get these bolts out ASAP! Can anyone help me and tell me how to do it!

pvanweelden

Extractor drill bit would probably be the quickest easiest way, if you have one. How many are stripped?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

Just reread above :( half? That is going to take a while :( Maybe someone will have a better answer

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Better than the nutsert spinning. I'd just use an extractor bit and buy new bolts also.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just reread above :( half? That is going to take a while :( Maybe someone will have a better answer

Yea there are 2 on the passenger side and about 7 on the driver side :(

I'm heading out to the store now cause I need a drill (left it down at the shore) so I will try the drill bit you mentioned

Yea there are 2 on the passenger side and about 7 on the driver side :(

I'm heading out to the store now cause I need a drill (left it down at the shore) so I will try the drill bit you mentioned

If that doesn't work, you can try cutting a groove in the head with a Dremmel for a flat tipped screwdriver. If you lived over here in the proper part of the world I'd lend you mine, lol.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Got the drill and bolt remover set. Wish me luck
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408375504.628179.jpg

Also not a single hardware store around me had the right size bolts so I called ORE and talked to Teresa. She is shipping me out a new set of bolts today.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to leave some of the RTV on the body of the jeep. I took a razor and got it so it's smooth and flat with the paint. There was some powder coat left over so that's what I was mainly worried about.

Top Bottom