Rubi Transfer case or Warn Powerplant

CarolinaJK

Damn, I wish I could find those kinda deals around me. I think you made a good choice going with the winch if it's in good shape. I was going to buy a Powerplant last year until I realized how much I owed in taxes [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KJV

I have a 6 speed and his is also out of a 6 speed so it would work for me.

In the past I have never wheeled alone but I also lived in college dorms with all my buddies who had jeeps to go with. Now that we are all stationed in different places and I have moved 4 times in 3 years (nature of being in the military haha) I find that more often than not it's just my wife and I out exploring. But I really haven't searched for that hard of trails because lately I have been alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think the answer to your question lies within this statement.

Rb1boxer_3

Id go with the winch when have you seen one go for 950. I havent i always see rubi tcases There's a guy in Texas selling a rubi tcase for 1100 he wanted 1250 then 1200 now that.

Out in the Boonies

jorgelrod

Hooked
Do you play a lot in rocks? A 4:1 ratio is great on rocks, but if you spend do a lot of time in stuff like mud, sand or dirt a lot, the 2.72:1 might be better for you. The powerplant will always help you now matter what...

desertrunner

Do you play a lot in rocks? A 4:1 ratio is great on rocks, but if you spend do a lot of time in stuff like mud, sand or dirt a lot, the 2.72:1 might be better for you. The powerplant will always help you now matter what...

Well with my old jk I lived in Colorado so I used to crawl around in the rocks a lot. I currently live in Albuquerque and haven't done too much exploring yet but I am soon moving out to Montana and I'm really not too sure what kind of wheeling is out there. As of right now I'm still gonna go with the winch and at least check it out make sure it's in good shape next weekend and if it isn't then I'll got for the transfer case. But I think the winch is the smarter more practical option for me right now

Modit

I've had both the 2.72:1 and the 4:1 and I must say the Rubi transfer case is a dream to crawl with when you have the 6 speed. That's my current setup. It amazes me every time I let out the clutch on an incline without ever touching the accelerator. You always have 4 Hi if you want to play in mud or sand.

That said, if I had your decision to make, I'd go with the winch if it checks out OK. But don't forget you have to buy all the stuff that goes with it. Tree saver, snatch block, D-rings, etc. Does the cable need to be replaced? All things to think about when purchasing a winch.

sunnysideup

Well with my old jk I lived in Colorado so I used to crawl around in the rocks a lot. I currently live in Albuquerque and haven't done too much exploring yet but I am soon moving out to Montana and I'm really not too sure what kind of wheeling is out there. As of right now I'm still gonna go with the winch and at least check it out make sure it's in good shape next weekend and if it isn't then I'll got for the transfer case. But I think the winch is the smarter more practical option for me right now

Depends where you end up in Montana.... but most of the trails in the state are fine with the 2:72 low range. The western side of the state has a larger number of trails that could use the 4:1 . There are only a few short trails in the state in the summer that you might need the winch, but winter will give you lots of chances to use the winch.

desertrunner

Depends where you end up in Montana.... but most of the trails in the state are fine with the 2:72 low range. The western side of the state has a larger number of trails that could use the 4:1 . There are only a few short trails in the state in the summer that you might need the winch, but winter will give you lots of chances to use the winch.

I am going to be in Great Falls so central western ish Montana i really havent looked into any wheeling out there yet. Im still sticking with the plan to go for the powerplant while i may not "need" the winch it could save my ass if im alone and i dont have an air compressor which is a huge selling point for me that can help out with alot more things than just the jeep.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I love my winch, I would never own a Jeep without one. That being said, Rubi T-Cases are pretty hard to come by, especially at that price. If it were me, I would spend the money for the T-Case...that 4:1 is awesome. I run a Smittybilt XRC 9500, and while it's no WARN, it does the job quite well and there have been many instances I have thanked the Jeep Jesus for having it. It's only $300 brand new, and I also run an ARB air compressor for running small air tools/filling up tires and it was about $300 all said and done as well.

Also, thank you for your service! A friend of mine's husband just got stationed up in Montana and while she hates it (she doesn't like the outdoors..haha), the pictures she shares looks incredible.

desertrunner

I love my winch, I would never own a Jeep without one. That being said, Rubi T-Cases are pretty hard to come by, especially at that price. If it were me, I would spend the money for the T-Case...that 4:1 is awesome. I run a Smittybilt XRC 9500, and while it's no WARN, it does the job quite well and there have been many instances I have thanked the Jeep Jesus for having it. It's only $300 brand new, and I also run an ARB air compressor for running small air tools/filling up tires and it was about $300 all said and done as well.

Also, thank you for your service! A friend of mine's husband just got stationed up in Montana and while she hates it (she doesn't like the outdoors..haha), the pictures she shares looks incredible.
Yeah a winch is one of those things that you may have and never need but the one time you need it and don't have it can be a real pain. On my last jeep I had a cheap warn I think vr8000 that ended up being like 350 the big trade off there is the compressor I don't have, I do eventually plan on getting ARB lockers so I could buy the compressor and use it for air tools and and what not before getting the locker but at about 700 for the winch and compressor I wouldn't have any more cash for the t case anyway, and if I buy the t case I wouldn't have the cash for even a cheap winch at the moment. I agree the t cases are hard to come by but the more and more I look I have actually found 4 that are in the 1200-1600 range so I think it would be something that when the time comes I can find one and maybe shell out for shipping or something.

Thank you for the support it does mean a lot and yeah my wife and I are both out doorsy people so we can't wait to get up to Montana it's gonna be a blast.

desertrunner

OK so I bought the power plant last night. It's in really good shape minus a little paint chipping. Only reason he was selling is he upgraded from the 9.5 to the 12k power plant haha. So needless to say I'll have to save up again for a t case later.

Only thing I'll say about it is damn that thing is heavy haha but I'm really excited to have it

sunnysideup

MY son is moving to Great Falls from Missoula in the spring... he has an XJ on 35's .... he love to explore and has lived on both sides of the state... he is already looking around GF to see what is available! When you both are up there, I should put you in touch if your need someone to do some trails with!

desertrunner

MY son is moving to Great Falls from Missoula in the spring... he has an XJ on 35's .... he love to explore and has lived on both sides of the state... he is already looking around GF to see what is available! When you both are up there, I should put you in touch if your need someone to do some trails with!
Yeah absolutely! I would love to get in touch with someone who knows the area a little. And I also have another buddy that has a 15' Rubicon hard rock 4dr that he just bought looking to finally break it in stationed up in great Falls. I should be up there around April time frame

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom