Rubicon Express too stiff?

Slavens

Caught the Bug
I had a 3.5" RE kit and I like to compare the ride to an unloaded dump truck. Felt like Evel Kneivel going over speed bumps. :crazy_eyes: I got the chance to swap it out last Fall & what a difference.
You can always just swap your coils out & leave the rest of the kit alone.

I am running the 3.5" RE kit and swapped to 4" ORE Coils rides much better now.

Jtvegas

thank you! exactly what i wanted to hear!

looked through the plush coils... goes from 3-4"... saw a budget boost kit with 2" all those are for JK/JKU but my RE is 2.5"

is it safe to say the 2" coils would net 2.5-3"?

All the coils out there will run different in size. My rock Krawler run a true 3.5. When I had rubicon express my 3.5 was like a 4.5. I Would look at the RK 2.5 or the evo 3.0. With a 2.0 if you add heavy bumpers or load your jk up for a trip it will weigh you down a bit. That's just my opinion.

christov11

All the coils out there will run different in size. My rock Krawler run a true 3.5. When I had rubicon express my 3.5 was like a 4.5. I Would look at the RK 2.5 or the evo 3.0. With a 2.0 if you add heavy bumpers or load your jk up for a trip it will weigh you down a bit. That's just my opinion.

i like where youre going with this....

now im just scared to have to change other stuff if i go to the 3". i mena... from 2.5 to 3" isnt that big of a jump...

Jtvegas

now im just scared to have to change other stuff if i go to the 3". i mena... from 2.5 to 3" isnt that big of a jump...

Keep in mind that 3" could be the same height as your 2.5 depending on the company. I had a 3.5 RE and my 3.5 rock Krawler sits lower than my previous lift.

christov11

Keep in mind that 3" could be the same height as your 2.5 depending on the company. I had a 3.5 RE and my 3.5 rock Krawler sits lower than my previous lift.

i guess ill chose a company and throw it on :rock:

heard plush rides are super comfy, heard something similar regarding OME. can anyone vouch?

Draconianwinter

Technically the Jeep is hers. It's just my wallet financing it. I told her to stay with 33s so she wouldn't have to regear. She isn't happy with how it drives so she is going to regear and go with superchips....Edlebrock SP is even on the table. So since she's going to regear, she wants to jump to 37s. Of course this also means new axles, at least in front. Been out playing all summer with the twin 15 year old daughters. They now want their own Jeep to share. I think I've created monsters. I'm just worried about putting too much into a Jeep as their first vehicle. It's not IF, but WHEN they're going to crash.

Once I get the my wifes's and the twin's Jeeps built, I can finally start on mine. Found an LJ with only 38,000 miles.

Yep you definitely created those monsters lol. But don't feel bad next year when my own daughter comes and stay with me for a couple weeks I plan on taking her to moab or the rubicon trail. So I am pretty sure I will be getting her a jeep once she is old enough to drive as well. And setting it up lol. Luckily I have a few more years before that happens lol

Draconianwinter

What size tires do you plan on running? With evo, rk, and metal cloak you can change out only the parts you need to advance to a larger lift. If you're going to be running 35's for a while a 2.5 inch lift will do the job. You can even run 37s with the 2.5 inch lift and the mopar high clearance fender flares from what I have been told by several people I have seen with them on their JK's.

The BAD Influence

Yep you definitely created those monsters lol. But don't feel bad next year when my own daughter comes and stay with me for a couple weeks I plan on taking her to moab or the rubicon trail. So I am pretty sure I will be getting her a jeep once she is old enough to drive as well. And setting it up lol. Luckily I have a few more years before that happens lol

My boys are all out on their own, and are a little jealous of their sisters. In their day we all had dirt bikes, so they had their fun, but they are definately jealous of the new Jeeping lifestyle. And take a top and doors off a Jeep and put a beautiful woman in and then its awesome....(maybe the final scene in Terminator with Linda Hamilton is etched in my brain.

Ddays

Hooked
I am running the 3.5" RE kit and swapped to 4" ORE Coils rides much better now.

Big difference isn't it? I couldn't believe how much better mine rode with the switch.

i guess ill chose a company and throw it on :rock:

heard plush rides are super comfy, heard something similar regarding OME. can anyone vouch?

I have yet to read anyone complaining about the ride quality of the plush rides. Personally no knowledge of the OME's..

mo0s3

I only went Rubicon express when I had my RTT on my Jeep. The min I took it off I switched to Metalcloak and old man Emu.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
so for ride quality and dampening the bumps, changing the shocks would be a better move than to change the springs?

i thought it was the other way around but then again.......... its monday :thinking:

Springs make a ton of difference.

Draconianwinter

Not sure what happened with this post

Lol nice. Yeah I think that happens most times when there is a decent age gap between children. Lol

Wethy

I can say that having the 2.5" RE lift it did feel stiff but after adding a bumper and winch the front end seemed to ride better and smoothed out speed bumps. The rear still bounces like an unloaded dump truck though as others have said. I've considered going to rancho coils as I've heard there also similar ish to evo could.(and easier to find than evo here in Ontario)

christov11

What size tires do you plan on running? With evo, rk, and metal cloak you can change out only the parts you need to advance to a larger lift. If you're going to be running 35's for a while a 2.5 inch lift will do the job. You can even run 37s with the 2.5 inch lift and the mopar high clearance fender flares from what I have been told by several people I have seen with them on their JK's.

Gonna end up with 35s. Already have 2.5 with hurricane flares so wheel well clearance isnt an issue. I just dont wanna throw springs n shocks in that will end up costing me a whole new kit. Might even just ride it out until i get heavier too. Just like to know my options and found ir rode stiff as hell. Had me worried for a bit but im glad to see im not crazy since everyones singing the same song about RE

christov11

I can say that having the 2.5" RE lift it did feel stiff but after adding a bumper and winch the front end seemed to ride better and smoothed out speed bumps. The rear still bounces like an unloaded dump truck though as others have said. I've considered going to rancho coils as I've heard there also similar ish to evo could.(and easier to find than evo here in Ontario)

I find the front rides fine, its the back end thats driving the wife nuts.

im hoping by it riding so hard it wont rattle things loose, thats my only worry TBH. i dont think it would break anything or break itself since... well if its made this way its made to endure its own hits (logically speaking)

Top Bottom