Rubicon in Oct?

Brianmly

My cousins and I are doing a 2.5 week road trip in Oct starting with the Rubicon then down to Moab and then back to the PNW via the Trans American Trail.

My concern is snow on the Rubicon. I know it's a possibility any time of the year. So my question is, in general, is the beginning of Oct a realistic time to beat the snow.

And, I just put my lift on two weeks ago (3.5) and it's time to get tires. ( my rig looks like a awkward teenager right now). I'm looking at the Cooper STT Pros (315 70/R17). Should be good for Moab (I saw the video Eddie did), so I imagine they should be just fine for the Rubicon?

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
October weather on Rubicon can go either way, it can be glorious or freezing, but most likely a combination of both. Last year we were there early Oct and it was rainy and really cold the first day, then beautiful the next 2. The prior year we were there the third week of Sept, rain the first day, 4" of snow the next, and gorgeous sunshine on day 3. Bring rain gear, tarps, and a heavy jacket and you'll be fine.

As for tires, honestly any good mud terrain will get you through. Have fun!

Brianmly

Perfect.....That's what I needed to know. We are planning for three days, my cousins are all experienced (mainly in Moab as they all live in Utah), I'm the newb. But we want to take our time on the Rubicon since it's our first time.

One other question, so I watch all the videos of the Rubicon online and get myself psyched out about it and my cousins remind me that most of the videos are on the "non-go arounds" because, really, who wants to watch the easy stuff......Are there go arounds for most of the harder obstacles. I know there isn't one for Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill. It's not that I'm not up for a challenge, but I'll have a hard time explaining to "She who must be obeyed" for a 2k bill to fix the Jeep when I get back.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Perfect.....That's what I needed to know. We are planning for three days, my cousins are all experienced (mainly in Moab as they all live in Utah), I'm the newb. But we want to take our time on the Rubicon since it's our first time.

One other question, so I watch all the videos of the Rubicon online and get myself psyched out about it and my cousins remind me that most of the videos are on the "non-go arounds" because, really, who wants to watch the easy stuff......Are there go arounds for most of the harder obstacles. I know there isn't one for Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill. It's not that I'm not up for a challenge, but I'll have a hard time explaining to "She who must be obeyed" for a 2k bill to fix the Jeep when I get back.

You will be fine. Take your time and enjoy.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
The trail isn't that hard. The hardest section, the old Big Sluice, can be bypassed, the Soup bowl is optional, and Cadillac hill has a few tight spots but shouldn't be an issue. Be easy on the skinny pedal and you'll be fine.
Are you going in through Loon or Wentworth?

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Cool, that route is a bit shorter and easier than the original Wentworth trailhead. You'll miss the Devil's Postpile but you'll drive through the recognizable granite bowl. You'll have a blast, take your time and enjoy the trail!

Top Bottom