Rubicon on fire

Sharkey

Word Ninja
From the last link - "Monday’s fire happened at an auto storage lot on Counter Street near the state prison. About 18-20 cars burned according to a Toledo fire spokesman. It's not clear how or why this fire started. The lot stores brand new Jeeps that just rolled off the line at the Toledo North Assembly Complex."

That doesn't seem to be related to what you're describing, that sounds like arson. The other articles are six years old and seem to refer specifically to the 2010 model (for which a recall was issued). It sucks what happened to your Jeep, and definitely curious to learn the cause that's determined. I just think you're trying to paint the brand with a broad brush here and suggest that FCA is deliberately covering up a deadly issue.

^ This. And the brush getting caught between the catalytic converter and transmission "issue" from the 2010 was pretty much a non-issue. In my opinion, that recall was more about protecting people from themselves than it was about some sort of design flaw. Hell, if you park your hot jeep on dry brush bad shit is going to happen.

Anyway, there is no question that it sucks big time that your (the OP) Jeep burned to the ground...regardless of the reason. Just be careful about making claims that there is some inherent design flaw in JK's that is causing them to spontaneously burst into flames when there is no evidence supporting such a claim.

SEMAKS

Well, no.. I don't want to paint anything bad.. I also said beautiful car sold to millions.. but the risk remain, and that's a bad paint itself. I Hope it happened only to me and all the news old and young that you can find on internet be a fake. If I could choose I'd choose to take another one. But now, and maybe just now, it's a tough moment to go for it. I wanted to share. I didn't want to paint. I hope my intent is more clear now. Thanks for pointing it out. Maybe I overwrote.. and I deleted. As I said, I didn't know nothing 2 days ago and I don't know nothing now. I'm not claiming anything nor anyone. Sharing for me was to let you know what happened to me and understand a little more about it. And all my statements where actually questions for you all.. is it true this and is it true that?
Sorry about that

Last edited:

ChiliDawg

Well, no.. I don't want to paint anything bad.. I also said beautiful car sold to millions.. but the risk remain, and that's a bad paint itself. I Hope it happened only to me and all the news old and young that you can find on internet be a fake. If I could choose I'd choose to take another one. But now, and maybe just now, it's a tough moment to go for it. I wanted to share. I didn't want to paint. I hope my intent is more clear now. Thanks for pointing it out

I could understand having some apprehension about buying another one if the one you owned burst into flames with you in it - that's a totally reasonable reaction. But keep in mind, millions of people have enjoyed owning Jeeps for generations, and many of us have owned many of them (I'm on my 5th). It sounds like what happened to your was very flukey. I would want to know what happened but I wouldn't let it prevent me from buying another if I loved it, which you say you did.

Brute

Hooked
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Jeep...it was a nice ride. It appeared to have some aftermarket wiring...any chance a short or incorrect gauge wire was the cause?...

WhiteMetal

Yeah that suck that’s why it’s a good idea to have at least a 5# fire extinguisher on the jeep. I had my jk start on fire while driving to I had just washed it and there’s these square holes in the bottom of the fuse box that you can see the circuit board from. But luckily I have to carry a 20# fire extinguisher for work and was able to put it out and unhook the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

In the fire picture there are 2 extinguishers, look like about 10 pound size, and that don't look like it slowed it down any.

Vehicle fires are tough to put out once they get going.

Sorry for your lost.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a vague memory about reading about fires in JKs caused by overheated ATF boiling out of the dipstick neck onto the exhaust manifold and igniting. I’m not sure where or when I read this. Anyway, I have two fire extinguishers in my Jeep just in case.

KSCRUDE

Glad your safe
All cars and trucks burn! They can start on fire setting in the garage or driving down the road for a mired of reasons. Airplanes do the same. Just life!

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I have a vague memory about reading about fires in JKs caused by overheated ATF boiling out of the dipstick neck onto the exhaust manifold and igniting. I’m not sure where or when I read this. Anyway, I have two fire extinguishers in my Jeep just in case.

I remember that too. If I recall correctly, that was on 2011 and earlier models. Auto tranny fluid expands as it heats up and this was fixed by adding a remote cooler. There was rumor that a lot of that was caused by accidentally overfilling.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I remember that too. If I recall correctly, that was on 2011 and earlier models. Auto tranny fluid expands as it heats up and this was fixed by adding a remote cooler. There was rumor that a lot of that was caused by accidentally overfilling.

Could be. One “hot oil” light was enough to persuade me to install an ATF cooler on my 2010. Seems to have done the trick

Cargo

Hi everyone, I thought this should be shared as it seems to be a quite common problem in the last decade.
In short I was going quietly slow and suddenly flames came out from the air conducts.. couldn't do anything but leave the vehicle as soon as I could to get safe.
Matter of minutes and there was no Rubicon anymore. It has been a shock, fortunately I wasn't in the middle of the traffic nor in a forest.
My car has been always checked with periodical and programmed inspections by authorized Jeep centers. The last one was at 200.000 km, and now, at 205.000 km the fire destroyed that car. It was a Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon 2.8 CRD 2009 model.
I read the lately lots of cases arose about the same problem, and that Chrysler recalled 87000 vehicles due to some defects that can cause this problem. I wonder why mine hasn't been recalled. I'll check about it. Now enjoy the images I remained with..

for video ; https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-PZBg0clPvsPWVLkCkSAUvc7UqhwEKJz

Glad you weren’t hurt. Too bad you had such an experience, was a nice looking JK.

HeWhoDares

One thing that can cause a fire is overfilling the auto transmission. The fluid expands, comes out the top of the filling tube and onto the exhaust. Did you have the transmission serviced recently?

Sent from my SM-T580 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

Better to let it burn to the ground than to repair. It’s always a bummer to loose a good one. I’ve done insurance repairs for vehicle fires and although they leave the shop in good running order it’s always questionable about a few years down the road. Problem is you need to stay within budget when repairing these big burns.

Jeeper62

Most sorry this occurred to you OP and glad you are uninjured. Sad to see. Interesting to read the links you put up about issues. And best going forward.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Glad you make it out safely. In my experience, fires like that are always caused by a small oil leak hitting the hot manifold.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Yes, our fire was from the transmission puking and pouring onto a cat.

In the OP’s case, from 30,000ft, whatever the original causation I’m sure that the fire was going on for a bit before it entered the cab.

Scary for sure. Glad no one was harmed. Jeeps and property can be replaced. Not rebuilding is certainly a valid option and one we almost did. Had our issues since, but also had a lot of great memories since rebuilding.

Top Bottom