Rubicon Trail- Opinions and advice please

RCC

I am wanting to plan a trip to run the Rubicon next year. Looking for opinions as to how possible is it to stay in Nevada , run the trail, and then back to Nevada?

I’ve ordered the Funtrek book for the trail and plan to get it all planned but was hoping some locals could give me some advice.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It’s very possible but for the first time I would not recommend it. You can run the trail in four or so hours if you know the trail. It’s not as fun though and especially not for the first time. Your coming all the way from texas, why drive that far and not enjoy it?

RCC

It’s very possible but for the first time I would not recommend it. You can run the trail in four or so hours if you know the trail. It’s not as fun though and especially not for the first time. Your coming all the way from texas, why drive that far and not enjoy it?
I want to take my time so we enjoy the trail. Was wondering if being the trailhead at daybreak and taking the day to do the trail was feasible.

It’s not my intention to slam California but I am not interested in spending more time in the state than necessary. Looking at the map the drive from Nevada looks relatively short hence the reason I asked for opinions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I want to take my time so we enjoy the trail. Was wondering if being the trailhead at daybreak and taking the day to do the trail was feasible.

It’s not my intention to slam California but I am not interested in spending more time in the state than necessary. Looking at the map the drive from Nevada looks relatively short hence the reason I asked for opinions.
I think the point OverlanderJK was trying to make is that you REALLY should plan on camping at least one night on the trail. In a lot of ways, it IS the whole reason to run the Rubicon in the first place and the wheeling part is just icing on the cake.

benatc1

Hooked
Just like overlander said you can bomb through the trail, especially with your rig, but it’s worth taking your time and camping if you can. I live in Reno, and agree California sucks lol, but with all its short comings scenery is not one of them. Plus if you run it the right way you’ll be right back in Lake Tahoe and that’s not so bad either, But if you really wanted to get back to Nevada technically you could do so on very short time and still be in Lake Tahoe, or head down the hill to Carson City or Reno in less than an hour.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You won’t take your time if you are trying to run it and back to reno in a day. To each their own. I’ve run it many times and my least favorite was when I didn’t camp and ran through the trail quick.

benatc1

Hooked
You won’t take your time if you are trying to run it and back to reno in a day. To each their own. I’ve run it many times and my least favorite was when I didn’t camp and ran through the trail quick.
Hey but we had fun lol. Alex was just pregnant and throwing up whenever we stopped 😂

I’ll echo what others have said. And to the point that California isn’t the Rubicon. You’re in Tahoe for maybe 2 hours and the rest is pure mountain trail and camping at its finest. Brute nailed it… Camp one night at Buck Island and another at Rubicon springs. You can be off the trail from RS by noon and back in Nevada by 2:00 if you don’t wanna stay in Tahoe. But to spend any less than 2 days is a waste of a trip and a damn shame.

I usually make our run late July or early August. Hit me up. Be happy to show you the way.

Dale72

Hooked
I’ll echo what others have said. And to the point that California isn’t the Rubicon. You’re in Tahoe for maybe 2 hours and the rest is pure mountain trail and camping at its finest. Brute nailed it… Camp one night at Buck Island and another at Rubicon springs. You can be off the trail from RS by noon and back in Nevada by 2:00 if you don’t wanna stay in Tahoe. But to spend any less than 2 days is a waste of a trip and a damn shame.

I usually make our run late July or early August. Hit me up. Be happy to show you the way.
I'll be able to take a vacation around the middle of August. I'm going to plan on getting out there to run some trails. I'll like to hook up with a few of yhall.

CalSgt

Hooked
I’ve never done a bomb through trip and planned to camp every time. I agree with everyone that says camping on the trail is part of the experience

We usually run it backwards from typical starting in Tahoma, camp at Buck Island, a second day of wheeling, then back out the way we came in on day 3 or 4. You do miss out on a little bit of the trail this way unless you wheel out to icehouse reservoir on the extra wheeling day. We prefer doing it this way because we can avoid Hwy 50 and avoid I-80 from Truckee to Auburn. Most of the guys in my group trailer their shitbox Toyota’s to the trail head so we have to go back out whatever way we went in.

Last trip we did the “Rubicon Trail Foundation” loop on our extra day and had a blast, it was a fun 2 hour loop taking our time

RCC

Thanks for the info. Definitely want to get whole experience so camping it it.

NV375

I only did a day run with a group I met on here. While it was a great trip, I have not made it back and do not feel I had the full experience. The rest of the group camped two or more nights but my wife could not do the camping.

Snagemntagem

California resident here and umm I agree this state sucks lol but the views and trail over all is worth taking your time I did earlier this year as a matter of fact for the first time with some friends we stayed just out of Rubicon spring I believe it was and finished the trail the following day into Tahoe we started on the loon lake side ...also we aren't all that bad in this state lol happy trails.

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_093137176_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220606_093137176_HDR.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom