Rubicrawler vs atlas

boardsurfer

I’ve got a 08 JK X with the D30/44 of course. I’ve heard that things like wheel studs are a liability with a Rubi crawler. Any thing like this an actual problem, or just BS? Anything else to consider due to the bigger ratios?

With the super low crawl ratios I think I would be more concerned with u-joints than wheels studs. Just an opinion.

Ddays

Hooked
I’ve got a 08 JK X with the D30/44 of course. I’ve heard that things like wheel studs are a liability with a Rubi crawler. Any thing like this an actual problem, or just BS? Anything else to consider due to the bigger ratios?

How would wheel studs possibly be affected by transfer case gearing :thinking:

BTW, welcome to WAL - stop over in the wave section & say hey.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I’ve been running a Rubicrawler for a few years. I have a Rubicon, so I have three reduction ratios: 2.7:1, 4:1, and 10.8:1. I use the 2.7:1 quite a bit, when 4:1 is too low. You can use the 2.7:1 in 2WD too, which can be handy.

The 10.8:1 is super low. Honestly I’ve only used that maybe half a dozen times. I could see having problems like maybe broken ring/pinion, broken axle shafts, broken U joints, etc. if you get on the gas or get a wheel jammed up with the lockers on, etc. The times I’ve used it I just let the Jeep idle and really don’t touch the gas and don’t use lockers. I haven’t broken anything. I do have chromoly axle shafts though.

I’m not sure a Rubicrawler would be all that useful on a Sport or Sahara. Your reduction ratios would be 2.7:1 and 7.3:1. The latter likely would be too low for most situations, similar to the 10.8:1.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Torrin

I believe this is correct and if I recall, it has something to do with the length of the A580 transmission. I'm pretty sure the Rubicrawler will not work with a Rubicon transfer case. Of course, with a 4:1 crawl ratio, you wouldn't really need one.

Aside from that, we ran a Rubicrawler on VENGEANCE and it worked quite well.

Ya, it is a poor man's Atlas. Not as much flexibility as the Atlas, but it works quite well. I have been in a jam a time or two with Vengeance and it works well enough. If you were going to do frequent heavy wheeling and want some more flexibility into your ratios, Atlas is the right move (just a lot more expensive). As someone else said, it only works on a 07-11 JK/JKU with an automatic.

Torrin

How would wheel studs possibly be affected by transfer case gearing :thinking:

BTW, welcome to WAL - stop over in the wave section & say hey.

Naah brah, you don't understand, I need to replace the wheel studs on Vengeance every 2000 miles because of my Rubicrawler. ;)

Top Bottom