Run: Lakes Basin Rec. Area - 7/23/16 - Plumas National Forest, California

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Official Post Run of the Unofficial Lakes Basin Recreation Area Run

Folks, it was a really fun day yesterday. We had a total of 6 Jeeps, all with various upgrades of some sort or another. We left Reno at around 8:15am and picked up our friend Russ and Naomi ("getoverit") and we started the trail with high hopes, and we were not disappointed!! The weather conditions were absolutely perfect. The trail was excellent with a couple of very challenging sections, especially down near the Snake Lake Area.

Here is my friend Tim and his wife Michelle enjoying a steep downgrade with Dave (aka Fires JK) close behind:

IMG_2145.jpg

Russ and Naomi dropping off a mini ledge. Russ is a very experienced driver and Naomi was awesome on the radios. She really kept the group together:

IMG_2150.jpg

Here is Ben (aka benatc1) following behind. He was amazing with the 2-door JK:

IMG_2153.jpg

Our first real major obstacle that gave us some trouble. There was a bypass for this one, but amazing drivers like Dave (aka QuicksilverJK) were able to conquer this one without lockers, gearing and rocking only 35 inch tires:

IMG_2154.jpg

The view of Snake Lake:

IMG_2156.jpg

A picture of RubySky and Ben's awesome rig. You can see the finger of a trail heading up between the trees, which was only the middle of the climb out of Snake Lake but the start of our troubles (read FUN):

IMG_2157.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED....

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Official Post Run of the Unofficial Lakes Basin Recreation Area Run - Continued

After successfully getting through the finger between the trees, we started getting into some very loose shale and rock, culminating in a very difficult winch setup. I finally got a chance to use my 66 foot tow extension strap. The longest winch procedure goes to.... DAVE (Fires JK)!! It was so long I had to use the panorama shot on my iPhone:

IMG_2161.jpg

Here is Ben able to get over pretty much anything, as he illustrates here:

IMG_2163.jpg

Here is QuicksilverJK (whom I refer to as the "other white Dave") heading up the hill. You can see the large boulder in the middle of the trail that gave everyone so much "fun". Beautiful backdrop, I must admit:

IMG_2164.jpg

And all of this hard work sitting in the childseat was tough on my daughter Skye, so she slept a bit on the way back:

IMG_2165.JPG

This was a great trip and I hope that more of you can join us on these fun single day trips. I continue to learn a lot and get to use my rig and my gear more, so I ask that more of you do the same. Turn off your phone and get out there!!

Next week, there is a run being headed by Fires JK who is running Bronco Canyon. Check out his thread and get on that trip: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38296-Bronco-Canyon

benatc1

Hooked
Folks, it was a really fun day yesterday. We had a total of 6 Jeeps, all with various upgrades of some sort or another. We left Reno at around 8:15am and picked up our friend Russ and Naomi ("getoverit") and we started the trail with high hopes, and we were not disappointed!! The weather conditions were absolutely perfect. The trail was excellent with a couple of very challenging sections, especially down near the Snake Lake Area.

Here is my friend Tim and his wife Michelle enjoying a steep downgrade with Dave (aka Fires JK) close behind:

View attachment 214321

Russ and Naomi dropping off a mini ledge. Russ is a very experienced driver and Naomi was awesome on the radios. She really kept the group together:

View attachment 214319

Here is Ben (aka benatc1) following behind. He was amazing with the 2-door JK:

View attachment 214322

Our first real major obstacle that gave us some trouble. There was a bypass for this one, but amazing drivers like Dave (aka QuicksilverJK) were able to conquer this one without lockers, gearing and rocking only 35 inch tires:

View attachment 214323

The view of Snake Lake:

View attachment 214324

A picture of RubySky and Ben's awesome rig. You can see the finger of a trail heading up between the trees, which was only the middle of the climb out of Snake Lake but the start of our troubles (read FUN):

View attachment 214325

TO BE CONTINUED....

After successfully getting through the finger between the trees, we started getting into some very loose shale and rock, culminating in a very difficult winch setup. I finally got a chance to use my 66 foot tow extension strap. The longest winch procedure goes to.... DAVE (Fires JK)!! It was so long I had to use the panorama shot on my iPhone:

View attachment 214328

Here is Ben able to get over pretty much anything, as he illustrates here:

View attachment 214329

Here is QuicksilverJK (whom I refer to as the "other white Dave") heading up the hill. You can see the large boulder in the middle of the trail that gave everyone so much "fun". Beautiful backdrop, I must admit:

View attachment 214331

And all of this hard work sitting in the childseat was tough on my daughter Skye, so she slept a bit on the way back:

View attachment 214332

This was a great trip and I hope that more of you can join us on these fun single day trips. I continue to learn a lot and get to use my rig and my gear more, so I ask that more of you do the same. Turn off your phone and get out there!!

Next week, there is a run being headed by Fires JK who is running Bronco Canyon. Check out his thread and get on that trip: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38296-Bronco-Canyon

Great Pics Neil! thanks again for putting this together as well, was a great time and glad I made it out!!

TRLJNKY

Ill make the run next week. Probably better I missed this one to work on the house and keep mama happy. Especially after our recent Rubicon excursion lol. Got to finish this flooring project and get her off my azz lol...

Fires JK

Fantastic Run

I seem to be the drag in this run (literally dragging myself up the hill with my winch). :daydream:
That boulder in the middle of the trail put a whoopin on me and figured I had blocked the trail long enough so I winched to the top. Thanks to Neil for setting up a great run, met new people and looking forward to future runs and meet more of the great people from Wayalife.
Took photos and video will attach as soon as I can get my new computer to work right.

Top Bottom