Sale Thread - Parts, Tools, Trips, ANYTHING

LearJeff

Heres one. Cheaper and better frequency range. ([FONT=&quot]http://a.co/eLGmm6b Amazon $34)
Or if you prefer the blue color ([/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://a.co/3dEJXmd Amazon $39)[/FONT]

Great tip! I just bought a red one with a few of the accessories. I thought my FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit would be valid for using a HAM radio but I just learned it is not. So I just signed up for an on-line study course to obtain my "Technician" License (the lowest level HAM license) and I found a place locally to go take the test next week. Cool thread.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Great tip! I just bought a red one with a few of the accessories. I thought my FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit would be valid for using a HAM radio but I just learned it is not. So I just signed up for an on-line study course to obtain my "Technician" License (the lowest level HAM license) and I found a place locally to go take the test next week. Cool thread.

Good luck. You should do pretty good. There are some places out there that really lay out the whole question pool in a nice study guide. Tests are about 20 questions. Itll be about $15 on test day, but if you pass Technician, you can take the General test for free. Same with Extra. I wish i at least glanced over the General guide.

I think this is what I used for my test.
http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

JKbrick

Do you still have to know Morse code? I tried 30 years ago to do ham radio but can't hear the difference between da and dit or whatever it was.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

LearJeff

Do you still have to know Morse code? I tried 30 years ago to do ham radio but can't hear the difference between da and dit or whatever it was.

Good news...no! I guess the FCC dropped the Morse Code requirement back in the early 2000's and they reduced the number of license "levels" from 8 to 3 (or something like that...) and so far, from my online study course anyway, the questions and topics seem fairly straight forward and relatively easy.

LearJeff

Good luck. You should do pretty good. There are some places out there that really lay out the whole question pool in a nice study guide. Tests are about 20 questions. Itll be about $15 on test day, but if you pass Technician, you can take the General test for free. Same with Extra. I wish i at least glanced over the General guide.

I think this is what I used for my test.
http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

...and yet another great tip! I'll definitely be taking a look at the "General" license study guide, too based on what you are saying. Thanks!

I took my original exam over 30 years ago... It did not require morse code but it was just recently introduced at that time and called itself the "no-code technician" class... There were 5 classes back then and this made a subclass of tech to get to 6 classes. It had limitations of only being allowed on VHF and higher and certain max power settings.

I guess as someone previously mentioned sometime after the year 2000 the morse code requirement was completely removed. I think I will now go ahead and get my general and/or extra as I am sure the test will be simple as I have since my original test have undergone extensive electronics and radio theory for my previous occupation.

My HT from the FD I think is UHF but I have a VHF radio too I believe. This may be opposite I can't remember exactly

Just FYI,

HF = High Frequency (3 Mhz to 30 Mhz)
VHF = Very High Frequency (30 Mhz to 300 Mhz)
UHF = Ultra High Frequency (300 Mhz to 3 Ghz)

There are others for even lower than HF or higher than UHF. The US Navy uses VLF (Very Low Frequency) to talk with subs that are underwater. The Baofeng radios that I believe a lot of people are fond of are actually dual-banders and have a band in the VHF and UHF spectrum. Either of those you are able to use as even the lowest class of HAM license. However, keep in mind something like the Baofeng are actually already opened up and typically can transmit on many frequencies that the HAM license does not legally allow you to use. For instance, most of them can use 118 - 174 Mhz but the only area of that licensed for HAM use is 144-148 Mhz in the USA.

Top Bottom