scan tool location hook up

hbucki

i have a 2021 jeep wrangler sport .i bought a xtool d8 as well as a 8plus 12 hook up cable for Chrysler autos , are the connectors located under dash next to my knee or are they in the glove box. thanks for your help .

CalSgt

Hooked
I believe OBDII data ports in all vehicles are required to be within 2 feet of the steering wheel and be visible from the drivers side door opening.

hbucki

ive bought a 8 plus 12 hook up ,i read after 2018 Chrysler has some sort of security device a gateway so it requires you to separate the obd 2 and installed another two connectors in series has something to do with thief device . i read it could be in glove box opening even behind dash cluster

hbucki

i tried that one you show but the scanner said it could not connect ,that it required the 8 plus 12 connector to work

WJCO

Meme King
i tried that one you show but the scanner said it could not connect ,that it required the 8 plus 12 connector to work
I wonder if it's the same connector that the tazer uses. If so, it's right behind the OBD plug but up a little higher. Have to lay on your back to see it.

hbucki

the one on the left i bought used at car max for 48k the one on the right i bought new in 1989 for 17k some dumb ass russian kid in a truck turned right in front of me trying to get into a race trac gas station

Attachments

• 20211015_160808 - Copy.jpg
    20211015_160808 - Copy.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210825_131906 (1).jpg
    20210825_131906 (1).jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

hbucki

I wonder if it's the same connector that the tazer uses. If so, it's right behind the OBD plug but up a little higher. Have to lay on your back to see it.
i think you are right on . i will just have to locate it. not sure where the two loose red and blk wires go they are out side the plugs just two wires with long pin connectors like you are suppose to poke them into a slot

WJCO

Meme King
i think you are right on . i will just have to locate it. not sure where the two loose red and blk wires go they are out side the plugs just two wires with long pin connectors like you are suppose to poke them into a slot
This is the spot I'm referring to.

KIMG1835.JPG

hbucki

no i just wanted something to check trouble codes that may arise in future . i did all the repairs on the 89 jeep didnt trust the dealership . kept it on the rd for 34years

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
IDK man, you should be able to read any DTC's without messing with the upper (8 and 12 pin) plugs. One of the primary reasons for all of the rules and standardization of OBDII is so a smog tech can inspect it for DCT's. If the tech had to lay on their back and fight those damn 8 & 12 pin connectors the vehicle wouldn't meet OBD standards.

I was under the impression the upper connections for the "security gateway" only need to be bypassed with when you're changing stuff in the ECM like tire size and gear ratio.

Top Bottom