Service your driveshafts... and everything else for that matter!!!

bmkrinne

Runout is basically eccentricity about the axis. If a shaft is straight, there will be minimal runout as it rotates between two bearings. Measurements will be on the order of a few thousandths for a true running shaft. Think of a banana when thinking of runout. Hold a banana by the ends and spin it around. Now try that with a wooden pencil and notice the difference. The banana has high runout compared to the pencil.

Consequences of excessive runout is imbalance. Higher stresses on joints, bearings, seals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Runout is basically eccentricity about the axis. If a shaft is straight, there will be minimal runout as it rotates between two bearings. Measurements will be on the order of a few thousandths for a true running shaft. Think of a banana when thinking of runout. Hold a banana by the ends and spin it around. Now try that with a wooden pencil and notice the difference. The banana has high runout compared to the pencil.

Consequences of excessive runout is imbalance. Higher stresses on joints, bearings, seals, etc.

Perfect explanation. That's what I was thinking but you cleared it up.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

This may be a stupid question but, if the joints are non-greaseable, what type of service is a shop able to do? My Adams appears to be of the solid variety.

I also have one of those Adams driveshaft that only has the greaseable slip shaft. I sent Adams an email and they said there were like 5 areas along with a picture of where the zerks were located but I was never able to find the zerks on my drive shaft. Anyways, I'm glad to know there's another member here with this same drive shaft.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I also have one of those Adams driveshaft that only has the greaseable slip shaft. I sent Adams an email and they said there were like 5 areas along with a picture of where the zerks were located but I was never able to find the zerks on my drive shaft. Anyways, I'm glad to know there's another member here with this same drive shaft.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

Check your rear shaft double cardigan. There should be a needle grease fitting buried inside the joint.

DMF

Check your rear shaft double cardigan. There should be a needle grease fitting buried inside the joint.

I will again. I felt all around the inside of the double cardin*. And couldn’t find anything greasable. Gonna check again next weekend for sure. I have had my drive shaft for 4 years and only service the slip shaft.

Top Bottom