Show off your tents

FrankenJeeper

I used the slap strap pro, they are thinner, but are alot longer, so easier to hang it in different spots. And it makes it kinda springy. I have trouble with my back and hips occasionally, and my ENO is super comfy sleeping in, never have had any problems at all.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noobicon

I have a Hennessy rig and love it. Using stock straps and the garda hitch for set up. The eno Slap straps will stretch, not good IMO. Last hang was 26 degrees with 40 mph winds, I was too hot and had to shed a top layer. I'll never use a tent again.

htweelz

I have a Kelty tent that I bought back in 1990 and it is still going strong. Camped in it I don't know how many times. It's been through rain, winds, hail you name it and never leaked. I do seal the seams once a year before I go camping for the first time. This is the only picture I could find of it. It is from 2008 camping with the Cub Scouts. That is my son who is now much taller and is in Boy Scouts. Love this tent and if I had to buy another one I would buy a Kelty.

DSC06563.jpg

FrankenJeeper

I have a Hennessy rig and love it. Using stock straps and the garda hitch for set up. The eno Slap straps will stretch, not good IMO. Last hang was 26 degrees with 40 mph winds, I was too hot and had to shed a top layer. I'll never use a tent again.

I've been considering a Hennessy, do you have any pics of your setup?

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noobicon

Hennessy Pics

Here are a few pics from my last trip. We hiked in Myakka State Park, about 6.8 miles each way to Mossy Hammock primitive site.

i-c8mb3RC-L.jpg

i-23z2g9z-L.jpg

i-PpdnFtg-L.jpg

i-4VTPQ2v-L.jpg

We had picked the coldest night of the year in Florida last year, with wind chill it was 26 degrees with 40 mph gusts out of the north east. In a few of the pics you can see the tarp pushed into the hammock from the wind. Driving rain rolled in about 6pm testing the stock fly, it performed perfectly, only had a slight misting in the foot end on a few occasions. With the winds we had it was to be expected.

I use a closed cell foam pad, 7 bucks at wally world, as a bottom layer. You can see my military sleep system in the last pic (I used the bivy, intermediate bag and patrol bag that night) unzipped as a top quilt. It was too hot even with the cold and wind, I broke a sweat. Around 2 am I got up and removed the patrol bag and made it fine with the bivy and intermediate for the night.

To hang it I am using the stock Hennessy straps, 2 climbing grade biners and 2 descender rings on each biner to make the garda hitch with. Finish off the garda hitch with a half hitch so there is no slippage and the entire set up is less than 3 minutes including staking it all out with 4 guy lines. The stock fly is small and the rig needs to be hung depending on weather conditions. High wind and rain I hang low, about 2 feet off the ground so I can maximize the coverage from the fly and pin it to the ground. Nice weather with no chance of rain I hang higher and either pitch the fly straight out or at least very wide so I can see the stars when getting off to sleep.

IMO its a better system than the ENO or some of the others out there. I sleep on the diagonal and find it roomy. I am 5'8" and 214 lbs and have no issues at all with it. I carry 2 sections of marine grade rope, each is about 15 ft long in case trees are really far apart. No need to use them yet but nice to have if I get in a jam. Shoot me a message if you have any questions, I will do my best to help out. Once you hang in the trees you wont want to be on the ground again :thumb:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Here are a few pics from my last trip. We hiked in Myakka State Park, about 6.8 miles each way to Mossy Hammock primitive site.

View attachment 33530

View attachment 33531

View attachment 33532

View attachment 33533

We had picked the coldest night of the year in Florida last year, with wind chill it was 26 degrees with 40 mph gusts out of the north east. In a few of the pics you can see the tarp pushed into the hammock from the wind. Driving rain rolled in about 6pm testing the stock fly, it performed perfectly, only had a slight misting in the foot end on a few occasions. With the winds we had it was to be expected.

I use a closed cell foam pad, 7 bucks at wally world, as a bottom layer. You can see my military sleep system in the last pic (I used the bivy, intermediate bag and patrol bag that night) unzipped as a top quilt. It was too hot even with the cold and wind, I broke a sweat. Around 2 am I got up and removed the patrol bag and made it fine with the bivy and intermediate for the night.

To hang it I am using the stock Hennessy straps, 2 climbing grade biners and 2 descender rings on each biner to make the garda hitch with. Finish off the garda hitch with a half hitch so there is no slippage and the entire set up is less than 3 minutes including staking it all out with 4 guy lines. The stock fly is small and the rig needs to be hung depending on weather conditions. High wind and rain I hang low, about 2 feet off the ground so I can maximize the coverage from the fly and pin it to the ground. Nice weather with no chance of rain I hang higher and either pitch the fly straight out or at least very wide so I can see the stars when getting off to sleep.

IMO its a better system than the ENO or some of the others out there. I sleep on the diagonal and find it roomy. I am 5'8" and 214 lbs and have no issues at all with it. I carry 2 sections of marine grade rope, each is about 15 ft long in case trees are really far apart. No need to use them yet but nice to have if I get in a jam. Shoot me a message if you have any questions, I will do my best to help out. Once you hang in the trees you wont want to be on the ground again :thumb:

Interestingly cool set up.:thumb:

nem

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370309604.272609.jpg

I have had this Eddie bower tent for 10 yrs now has always served my needs and never let me down. It's been from ny to Australia and was even set up by TSA at JFK airport after it tested positive for gun powder. Still going strong this photo is from Memorial Day 2013 on a muddy rainy weekend camp and wheel trip.

hydroslyder

Here's my tent during some backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia's Grayson Highlands
315473_2006959295350_1175337807_n.jpg
303879_2006985416003_642888640_n.jpg
It's an REI Quarter Dome 2 tent, I use it for backpacking and it comfortably fits me without much room for anything else.

fade2black

I just got a eureka 1 man because I liked our huge 10x10 so much. It's 20 years old and still in great shape. That sold me on the eureka brand. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370311683.672504.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370311658.428805.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370311658.428805.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 493

RubiChris

I Like to Hang Out in the Woods

While this really doesn't fit the requirements of the original post, I bought this Clark Jungle Tent (made in the USA) while living in SE AK. It was great since the ground was almost always sopping wet. I must admit, I did wonder if I'd end up as a "Bear Burrito"! lol

I live in the desert now, so it isn't quite as practical but I also have a GoLite Shangri-La 3 that is great and can be used for 4 seasons. I'll keep the hammock for when I'm wheeling in the mountains.

Attachments

• Hammock.jpg
    Hammock.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 499

taher2.1

Eureka Timberline 4

This is a great tent for under $200. Set up is very easy and take down
26881.jpg

Attachments

• 26881.jpg
    26881.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 486