Show your Knives!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would not touch a 5”. Too small for me. (No homo) but it’s all personally preference. And unless you actually know how to sharpen a knife (not just think you do) leave it up to the professionals. And don’t touch that blade to a stone for at least a year. Keep that factory edge as long as you can.

I am guessing a year just because I can’t see you or her using it enough in that amount of time for it to dull.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
I don’t think you could go wrong either way. But personally, I rarely even use my santoku. Out of my set I really only use the chef, carving and paring. It’s personal preference in my case but just giving my opinion. Never owned Shun so I can’t vouch for them but haven’t heard anything bad. My knives are all Wusthof.

I have wusthof as well, great blades!

TrailHunter

Hooked
I don’t think you could go wrong either way. But personally, I rarely even use my santoku. Out of my set I really only use the chef, carving and paring. It’s personal preference in my case but just giving my opinion. Never owned Shun so I can’t vouch for them but haven’t heard anything bad. My knives are all Wusthof.

I would not touch a 5”. Too small for me. (No homo) but it’s all personally preference. And unless you actually know how to sharpen a knife (not just think you do) leave it up to the professionals. And don’t touch that blade to a stone for at least a year. Keep that factory edge as long as you can.

I am guessing a year just because I can’t see you or her using it enough in that amount of time for it to dull.

I got her the Miyabi Kaizen.... 8”, 6” Chef & 3.5” paring. The handles are larger than the Shun and felt better in the hand.

IMG_9720.jpg

Those look like great knives. And I agree with overlander on the sharpening. I have fucked up every single knife I attempted to sharpen. For 15 or 20 bucks the local cutlery shop gets my knives stupid sharp.

Brute

Hooked
If you have a paring, slicer & serrated bread knife, all you need is a decent sized chef knife...small light knives are more work to to everyday chopping & slicing...get as big a chef knife as you feel comfortable with...sankotu knives are popular in Hawaii , and I've owned a few...but still prefer a chef knife...

TrailHunter

Hooked
Those look like great knives. And I agree with overlander on the sharpening. I have fucked up every single knife I attempted to sharpen. For 15 or 20 bucks the local cutlery shop gets my knives stupid sharp.

Thanks... probably too nice, but I think she will appreciate them... and I don’t plan on touching the blade edge for a while and will probably have it sharpened by a pro as suggested... to be honest I hope it dulls a bit.. My wife makes me nervous as hell watching her chop vegetables sometimes... I don’t know if its a Mexican thing, but she uses her hand like a damn cutting board, holding the onion while chopping into it... I have to leave the room when she does that shit.. lol

If you have a paring, slicer & serrated bread knife, all you need is a decent sized chef knife...small light knives are more work to to everyday chopping & slicing...get as big a chef knife as you feel comfortable with...sankotu knives are popular in Hawaii , and I've owned a few...but still prefer a chef knife...

Yeah, I noticed she put away our cheap Santoku and uses the chef’s only... that’s why I went with the 8 & 6”... gives her size options, and with the new matching paring knife she should have all basis covered. We can always exchange one if she really wants a Santoku.. but I doubt it.

herb04

I have a crkt that i daily carry on me. In my Jeep I have a kershaw, spyderco, and a fixed blade benchmade. I think I’m gonna buy my ten year old soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guascone

Hi guys! I'm planning to spend my next summer holidays in US. I will travel tru Utha, Nevada and California visiting (hiking) some on the national parks.

When I go hiking I usaul take my knife with me ...I don't know US roules and I wan't to breake them...Do you have any suggestion? Do you know if during the travel from Italy to US it is enough that the knive is stored in the luggage? Should I declare it at the arrival?

IMG_3384.jpg

RCVRY

Hi guys! I'm planning to spend my next summer holidays in US. I will travel tru Utha, Nevada and California visiting (hiking) some on the national parks.

When I go hiking I usaul take my knife with me ...I don't know US roules and I wan't to breake them...Do you have any suggestion? Do you know if during the travel from Italy to US it is enough that the knive is stored in the luggage? Should I declare it at the arrival?

View attachment 326248

I dunno, do you wear a hijab? If not you should be fine.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Cold Steel-
SRK SK-5
Recon Tanto 3V
SRX 3V
Kabar -
OKC USN
OKC Fighting (both with factory edges)
Tops -
Wild Pig Hunter