Sliders- Pros and cons of bolt on verses weld on

Rebel JK

That is seriously stout. Making me rethink. Would be nice to have flexibiliry to remove. The shear strenght of each 3/8 grade 8 has to be at least a thousand lbs. Combine that times 9 per side and that equals badass!

Prime8

That is seriously stout. Making me rethink. Would be nice to have flexibiliry to remove. The shear strenght of each 3/8 grade 8 has to be at least a thousand lbs. Combine that times 9 per side and that equals badass!

I believe the supplied bolts are Grade 5... But the two you reuse are metric grade 10.9 (~grade 8). I thought about replacing mine with grade 8, but the steel frame, while hardened, is fairly thin and therefore only has a couple threads. It would be too easy to strip the threads with grade 8. Plus ductile, as opposed to brittle, bolts are more favorable in areas prone to be impacted hard by rocks.

Here are a few pics of what the LOD sliders look like and how they mount to the frame at 3 spots on each side.

P3090140.jpg

P3090142.jpg

Once they are installed. You can see what I was saying as the ONLY con I can think of being that the bolt heads are sticking down and in a couple places they could become damaged. BUT they are large bolts, so I think they are pretty stout!

P3090157.jpg

It is good to see that you are out running your new Dune out in the mud. You seem to have accumulated some at your t-case... :D

Rebel JK

10-4. If I understand correctly, The grade 5 bolts are not the weak link. They should have a break or shear value more than strong enough. Im curious on what the recomended torque value is on the provided bolts through the frame. I can see this as a possible issue if used as a recovery point.
Having been axle deep stuck in the mud needing two rigs pulling my dumb a§§ out before, it would give one more confidence if they were bolted and welded i guess.

Top Bottom