Smittybilt Scout trailer

TheGrendel

If I'm spending $6k on a trailer with a tent bolted to it, by God, it better come with at least the two burner Coleman. [emoji23].

In all seriousness, I would be more apt to consider something like this, at their price point, if it came with a few of these accessories already installed. Does the suspension really add that much value to it? Do you even need the suspension set up? Something tells me I'd be fine with just a leaf spring set up.

I would have to see one in person to really make an educated decision. Their video and Moose's antics in this thread have pretty much solidified my opinion that it is an overpriced trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

amazing what companies will charge if they just call something offroad or adventure. but, really where is the 6K value when all of the accessories are excluded. that trailing arm suspension isn't made of titanium.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ No, it isn't. You could get a Timbren set up on a custom frame, plus a custom box, for less than $6k.

TheGrendel

and clearly moOs is overly defensive of his brother's purchase. not sure why. if his brother is happy, there's no need to flip out and try to justify the purchase to the rest of us.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Well...my day started pretty crappy after landing in Naples from Zurich and found out they lost both my wife's & my luggage...then on the 1.5 hour ride on the Amalfi coast my daughter got car sick and barfed in the van taking us to the hotel...arrived at the hotel and they lost our reservation somehow...but fortunately was able to put all four of us in a single room (of course the two bedroom suite with killer lanai overlooking the cliff that we prepaid for was occupied by euro trash)...

Then, my wife & I walked into the Oceanside bar, ordered a bottle of the incredible local white wine...killed that, now into my second large Peroni, eating most incredible fresh olives on the planet, and started to read this thread, which is putting a smile on my face...thank you all for making everything right in the world...

If you look closely, at the end of the pier in Almafi they are dumping Smittybuilt trailers in the ocean, knowing they'll rust through and disappear in four days... View attachment 269241

Man, sorry to hear about all the shitty luck Ed! Your last sentence, however, just made my day better lol!

SDG

Caught the Bug
^^ No, it isn't. You could get a Timbren set up on a custom frame, plus a custom box, for less than $6k.
I don't really understand the point of a trailing arm setup on a trailer like this anyway.

Washboards?

I would think air bags and a shock or torsion would work just as well.

gregolso

Hum, I'm thinking the Kittybuit trailer I just picked up for the wife's jeep is probably a better deal than the Smittybuilt one, as it has sold dent resistant panels that wont rust out, can be used as a flotation device, solid .3 inch hitch, and has never flat tires as well.
56287.jpg

J/k I do actually like the looks of the Smitty, and I'm thinking that with some additional support welded up it would make a pretty decent trailing unit. Though for the cost, I'l say at 3.5-4K is probably more in the range of most buyers and would still give them a nice margin to work with.

Brute

Hooked
Man, sorry to hear about all the shitty luck Ed! Your last sentence, however, just made my day better lol!

Thanks Joe...all is well now. Our luggage showed up late yesterday at the hotel (I'm sure it's a conspiracy to get me & my wife to buy clothes & shoes we don't need)...eating fabulous seafood & pasta & drinking great Almafi wine...heading to the island of Capri today

Saw a Smittybuilt trailer on the side of the road in Positano...cops were giving it a ticket for well, "allura" (just because)

Last edited:

Fabio J

A friend of mine built up an M101A3 trailer for about a third of that. For that price it includes the tent, new suspension, wheels, 37's, and a good hitch, a telescoping sleeping platform and way more storage.

Does your friend pull this behind a Jeep? It looks like it is hooked to a larger vehicle in pictures, but if they do, how much wider does it track than their Jeep?

Top Bottom