Smittybilt Stingray vented hood

Ddays

Hooked
I still want to know if this hood is actually vented or if it is just for looks. Either way it does look awesome.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

As shipped from the factory, no, the vents are non-functioning. They are closed on the bottom with only a drain at the front for rainwater to exit. If you take them out and cut the bottom of the event out, then they do become functioning.
Highwaytrout put a temp gauge to his to test that out. Read from post #95 on down here (unless you want to re-vist a shitload of fuckery regarding whether or not heat rises...)

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...r-Dome-Hood/page10&highlight=10th+anniversary

Coop

Caught the Bug
Really like that its steel.

Couple items. I put this hood on and cut the back out of the vents. Pretty easy with a Dremel. The bumpers are cheap plastic and didn't fit very well. Went to the local Jeep dealer and ordered the factory short bumpers. Nice rubber, fit perfectly and were $4 apiece, not bad. The hood mounted washers suck and blow the jets out. Went back to the dealer and ordered factory washer fittings. $7 apiece and work great. The hood is lighter than the original because the steel gauge is thinner. This so far has not been a problem. It definitely looks cool to me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for my wife's Jeep but she says keep my hands off her Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Couple items. I put this hood on and cut the back out of the vents. Pretty easy with a Dremel. The bumpers are cheap plastic and didn't fit very well. Went to the local Jeep dealer and ordered the factory short bumpers. Nice rubber, fit perfectly and were $4 apiece, not bad. The hood mounted washers suck and blow the jets out. Went back to the dealer and ordered factory washer fittings. $7 apiece and work great. The hood is lighter than the original because the steel gauge is thinner. This so far has not been a problem. It definitely looks cool to me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for my wife's Jeep but she says keep my hands off her Jeep.

I didn't have any problems with the spray nozzles at all (maybe just lucky), but the bumpers are pretty crappy and don't fit the best. Good idea to just replace with factory since they are so cheap to buy.

Ddays

Hooked
Couple items. I put this hood on and cut the back out of the vents. Pretty easy with a Dremel. The bumpers are cheap plastic and didn't fit very well. Went to the local Jeep dealer and ordered the factory short bumpers. Nice rubber, fit perfectly and were $4 apiece, not bad. The hood mounted washers suck and blow the jets out. Went back to the dealer and ordered factory washer fittings. $7 apiece and work great. The hood is lighter than the original because the steel gauge is thinner. This so far has not been a problem. It definitely looks cool to me.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for my wife's Jeep but she says keep my hands off her Jeep.

Haha - sissy! :bleh:

Ditto all of this. I reinstalled the factory hood bumpers from my factory hood. I'm never gonna drop the windshield so whats the diff there. I reinstalled my original washer nozzles and tubing. The parts supplied with the hood are cheap ass shit. One thing I never mentioned was that the paint shop that did my hood installed these bumpers on the underside of my hood. He said they always used to install these but quit sometime around 2010. Said its one of the reasons the hoods flutter. I can't verify that but it makes sense. My '14 factory hood did not have these.

0829161938a.jpg

Kalums

Haha - sissy! :bleh:

Ditto all of this. I reinstalled the factory hood bumpers from my factory hood. I'm never gonna drop the windshield so whats the diff there. I reinstalled my original washer nozzles and tubing. The parts supplied with the hood are cheap ass shit. One thing I never mentioned was that the paint shop that did my hood installed these bumpers on the underside of my hood. He said they always used to install these but quit sometime around 2010. Said its one of the reasons the hoods flutter. I can't verify that but it makes sense. My '14 factory hood did not have these.

View attachment 253827
Ddays your Jeep is flame red right? Can I see pictures of the hood? Mine is flame red also and ide love to see how yours turned out. I've been thinking really hard about this hood because of the heat that builds up underneath it in the summer time here In phoenix, last year I used a digital thermometer (kitchen type with a wired probe) ran it from the dash out the window (passenger side) and under the hood... Sitting in traffic with 118 dgrs ambient air temp the temperature under my hood was fluctuating between 245 all the way up to 320!! (and yes I made sure the probe wasn't touching anything) To say the least that can't be good for stuff under my hood.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ddays your Jeep is flame red right? Can I see pictures of the hood? Mine is flame red also and ide love to see how yours turned out. I've been thinking really hard about this hood because of the heat that builds up underneath it in the summer time here In phoenix, last year I used a digital thermometer (kitchen type with a wired probe) ran it from the dash out the window (passenger side) and under the hood... Sitting in traffic with 118 dgrs ambient air temp the temperature under my hood was fluctuating between 245 all the way up to 320!! (and yes I made sure the probe wasn't touching anything) To say the least that can't be good for stuff under my hood.

I have wheeled with ddays plenty of times now and his paint shop did amazing with the paint. You can't even tell a difference.

Here is some pics of his rig for you
IMG_6935.jpg
IMG_6640.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I have wheeled with ddays plenty of times now and his paint shop did amazing with the paint. You can't even tell a difference.

Here is some pics of his rig for you
View attachment 253857
View attachment 253858

Ahhh, back in my wheel spacer days :cheesy: Coz is right - they really did a nice job on the paint.

320! :eek: Do you still have your inner fenders and engine cover on? At minimum I'd ditch the engine cover. Highwaytrout verified that the hood does help with the temps.
Post #116 on this thread is the day I got gruff back from the paint shop; http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...r-Dome-Hood/page12&highlight=10th+anniversary

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Ahhh, back in my wheel spacer days :cheesy: Coz is right - they really did a nice job on the paint.

320! :eek: Do you still have your inner fenders and engine cover on? At minimum I'd ditch the engine cover. Highwaytrout verified that the hood does help with the temps.
Post #116 on this thread is the day I got gruff back from the paint shop; http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...r-Dome-Hood/page12&highlight=10th+anniversary

This is the first mention I've noticed for removing the engine cover to dissipate heat. Is that a known aid in keeping temps lower? I'll toss that thing right now...

WJCO

Meme King
I've been thinking really hard about this hood because of the heat that builds up underneath it in the summer time here In phoenix, last year I used a digital thermometer (kitchen type with a wired probe) ran it from the dash out the window (passenger side) and under the hood... Sitting in traffic with 118 dgrs ambient air temp the temperature under my hood was fluctuating between 245 all the way up to 320!! (and yes I made sure the probe wasn't touching anything) To say the least that can't be good for stuff under my hood.

I would definitely check to make sure your fan is working properly.

Ddays

Hooked
This is the first mention I've noticed for removing the engine cover to dissipate heat. Is that a known aid in keeping temps lower? I'll toss that thing right now...

Other than making the engine compartment cleaner looking I don't see any need for it. I ditched mine a while ago. I couldn't say how much it helped but hasn't hurt either...

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom