Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

I’ve just gone through two bags of Jealous devil for my charcoal grill and I have been really impressed with it. I was skeptical at first, but it’s done really well for me. I haven’t tried it in my stick burning smoker yet but I plan on using it in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Same here. I was very skeptical at first. Tried it. Re ordered more. [emoji106]

Brute

Hooked
Always in stock at Home Desperate for me. I recently switched to Jealous Devil. Burns great. Extremely dense charcoal seems to burn forever. Pricey but seems to equal out considering burn time.

I’ve just gone through two bags of Jealous devil for my charcoal grill and I have been really impressed with it. I was skeptical at first, but it’s done really well for me. I haven’t tried it in my stick burning smoker yet but I plan on using it in the future.

I’d say it’s neutral. For flavor I use wood chunks or chips. Knocks the socks off of kingsford on burn time with it being actual hardwood lump charcoal.

That's good to know...I'm going to give Jealous Devil a try as well...

Brute

Hooked
Has anyone ever tried these from Jealous Devil?...Jealous Devil Blox Hickory & Oak Compressed Natural Hardwood Firewood? I've copy and pasted their description...

JEALOUS DEVIL FIREWOOD: This Jealous Devil 100% natural hickory & oak hardwood fire logs are perfect for long lasting hot cooking flames and can be enjoyed in backyard fires
PREMIUM QUALITY: Compressed firewood logs won't spark or pop, won't give you splinters, and produce very little smoke and ash. Unlike the twigs or logs you might find in your backyard or near your campsite, these fire logs are resistant to rot and bugs so they'll last longer
COMPACT STORAGE: Their compact shape makes them easy to stack and store
DIFFERENT USES: Burn these firewood logs for campfires, backyard firepits, wood-burning pizza ovens, grills, ovens, and stoves
WHAT’S INCLUDED: This bulk firewood bundle comes with 12 logs for 35 pounds of firewood

They didn’t have total oak at the store like I usually grab here. Used this, liked it equally. Can’t really speak to maintaining temps in a paper thin smoker in the rain. Worked well IMO
IMG_9361.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Not really a cooking tip, but still a tip. I've recently used a metal can that I leave under the firebox. When it's time to clean out the ash, I just use my hands and sweep it into the bucket. Really easy. And if the main chamber is full, I sweep it into the firebox first, then into the bucket.

DSC08871 (1).jpg

And I have a plastic trash can with a lid outside to store, charcoal, wood chips, and anything else I need.

DSC08872 (1).jpg

DSC08873 (1).jpg

Has anyone ever tried these from Jealous Devil?...Jealous Devil Blox Hickory & Oak Compressed Natural Hardwood Firewood? I've copy and pasted their description...

JEALOUS DEVIL FIREWOOD: This Jealous Devil 100% natural hickory & oak hardwood fire logs are perfect for long lasting hot cooking flames and can be enjoyed in backyard fires
PREMIUM QUALITY: Compressed firewood logs won't spark or pop, won't give you splinters, and produce very little smoke and ash. Unlike the twigs or logs you might find in your backyard or near your campsite, these fire logs are resistant to rot and bugs so they'll last longer
DIFFERENT USES: Burn these firewood logs for campfires, backyard firepits, wood-burning pizza ovens, grills, ovens, and stoves
WHAT’S INCLUDED: This bulk firewood bundle comes with 12 logs for 35 pounds of firewood

I haven’t. Looks like a neat idea for a campfire where wood collecting is prohibited or non existent. I may order a box for the back yard fire pit just to try out.

Angry Aussie

Not really a cooking tip, but still a tip. I've recently used a metal can that I leave under the firebox. When it's time to clean out the ash, I just use my hands and sweep it into the bucket. Really easy. And if the main chamber is full, I sweep it into the firebox first, then into the bucket.

View attachment 354361

And I have a plastic trash can with a lid outside to store, charcoal, wood chips, and anything else I need.

View attachment 354362

View attachment 354363

I do the same thing with the ashes. I also leave a little water in the bottom when I’m smoking just incase any coals some how fall out. I need to get a trash can like yours to store everything in.

Angry Aussie

Haven’t tried that yet, but from the lump coal I don’t get any popping or sparks like I get with other lump charcoal. I bet it’s good stuff. I would try it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
They didn’t have total oak at the store like I usually grab here. Used this, liked it equally. Can’t really speak to maintaining temps in a paper thin smoker in the rain. Worked well IMO
View attachment 354360

It at have worked but that stuff is bottom of the barrel. Look up some reviews. People have found nails, wires and other shit in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup. Cowboy isn’t the best. Non charcoaled wood scraps can be found in it. It’s sparks like hell and burns crazy hot and fast.

Yup. Cowboy isn’t the best. Non charcoaled wood scraps can be found in it. It’s sparks like hell and burns crazy hot and fast.

Hmm sounds like just the kind of stuff you want in your smoker, wire and nails. It burned pretty equal to the royal oak lump I normally get. What’s a better big box store brand to try out when this is gone

Hmm sounds like just the kind of stuff you want in your smoker, wire and nails. It burned pretty equal to the royal oak lump I normally get. What’s a better big box store brand to try out when this is gone

Yep. Or if your feeling splurgey Komodo Joe and Big Green Egg put out a great product and can be found at most Ace Hardwares. I usually order through amazon cause I’m lazy.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was planning on salt and pepper, by probe tender do you mean the probe goes in without any real resistance? 11.5 pounds, looking like it needs a little trimming but not much

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. It should feel like going into a stick of room temp butter. Probe, fork, knife whatever you want but should feel like cutting room temp butter.

And I wouldn’t try and go without wrapping on your first one. You’ll probably never make another. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom