Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

jesse3638

Hooked
Traeger is not really economical and personally I’m not too happy with my Junior and the way it controls low temps. Might get a PID controller to combat that. But if you want to build an economical smoker, look into a UDS. I think I built mine for less than $50 total. And flavor-wise would take it over my Traeger hands down. It’s just more work but I enjoy it. I use the Traeger all the time in place of my gas grill due to it being so easy and flavor being good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah I know Traegers are not exactly cheap. I was curious how the junior worked. A coworker of mine bought a masterbuilt digital and has been happy with it. It was $250 on Amazon and a bit less on the wallet. Just want to make sure I'm not going to buy something and not want to use it..haha. I did find a Brinkman on Craigslist for $20 I may go with that and see how it turns out.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Torrin

Yeah I know Traegers are not exactly cheap. I was curious how the junior worked. A coworker of mine bought a masterbuilt digital and has been happy with it. It was $250 on Amazon and a bit less on the wallet. Just want to make sure I'm not going to buy something and not want to use it..haha. I did find a Brinkman on Craigslist for $20 I may go with that and see how it turns out.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It all depends what you want to do. The Masterbuilt it a good rig and was my first smoker, I have long since move to a Rec Tec (which is a more expensive Pellet grill). If you are starting out, the Masterbilt is a good deal, just be prepared to refill the wood every hour or so.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Traeger is not really economical and personally I’m not too happy with my Junior and the way it controls low temps. Might get a PID controller to combat that. But if you want to build an economical smoker, look into a UDS. I think I built mine for less than $50 total. And flavor-wise would take it over my Traeger hands down. It’s just more work but I enjoy it. I use the Traeger all the time in place of my gas grill due to it being so easy and flavor being good.

That’s my biggest problem with traeger is temp control.

Bear_JT

Hooked
For those that are having trouble with temp control on their Traeger you might check into their digital pro controller. I have that one on mine and it works like they say within 15 degrees of the set temp. The older Traegers came with a controller that would hold temp within 25 degrees I believe.

Torrin

For those that are having trouble with temp control on their Traeger you might check into their digital pro controller. I have that one on mine and it works like they say within 15 degrees of the set temp. The older Traegers came with a controller that would hold temp within 25 degrees I believe.

Yup, a better controller with the Traeger will help. I ultimately went with the Rec Tec due to controller problems with the Traeger (plus they are made of thinner steel, so weather impacts your cook more.)

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
That’s my biggest problem with traeger is temp control.

I went round and round with tech support but came to the conclusion that it just sucks on the lower settings. I’m sure fire bricks and adding some mass will help but I’m sure I’ll just end up with a PID controller for it.

I'm getting ready to spring for a grill/smoker for our place in WA...

I’ve had better experience with the larger Traegers but also heard nothing but good things about Green Mountain Grills.

Supposedly it’s not compatible with all the grills and mine is one of the excluded ones. I’d be happy with the 25 degree swings at this point. I see more like 75 sometimes.

Discount Tire

I just picked up the Camp Chef Pursuit last week which is their portable pellet grill that just came out. You cannot believe how well made and heave this is for a smallish grill. It works amazing. i have been a fan of Camp Chef products for many years. Their dry rub is the bomb as well.

IMG_1296-L.jpg

This is the first test for the new grill. They came out mouth wattering.

IMG_1297-L.jpg

Brute

Hooked
I'm leaning towards a Memphis Elite wood fired grill...has anyone had or knows of anyone with experience with this grill?

Brute

Hooked
They look pretty badass. Don’t know anyone that has used one though. I had a hard time dropping 500 on a Traeger.

Yes, it's pricey...but a quarter of the Kalamazoo or Grillworks I was looking at...

I'm also seriously looking at a 32" Komodo Kamado...it's like my Big Green Egg on steroids...

Pezhead1

Traeger is coming out with a new mid priced line. Its going to use the same controller as the Timberline series. Advertised to keep +- 5 degrees of target. Broil King just came out with a new pellet line. More expensive but they sure are nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Doug, when you and your family comes up to visit me in WA, I will make you the best leg of lamb or rib roast you ever put in your mouth...

Top Bottom