So, I test drove a JKU today...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
As has been stated, you can turn off the hill assist. Test drive a Rubicon, to feel the difference gearing makes in them. The 4.0 L will make more torque, down low, but you'd be surprised at the difference gears make.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rag Beaver

I'm reading this thread like, "I have an automatic. It's pretty neat." I will say though (in my extremely minor testing) the tap shift is really nice and handy for when you want to stay in a gear. But nothing is ever the same as a manual. I have no experience with jks with manuals, but I imagine releasing the clutch and not moving would take getting used too. From an automatic Rubicon standpoint I've found that when I put it in gear it will start to move slowly, and getting through a four way intersection from a stop (especially after installing the Borla) is pretty easy and fast. Like many have said, it may just be gearing, and again like many have said, I'd say try a manual and auto Rubicon to see what you like best.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

mstraw9379

I never had an issue with my 07 JK Sahara. 3.21 gears and every time I let out the clutch without touching the gas, no problems. The same with my 15 JKUR. The clutch is way softer than the 07, but no problems at all with feeling like it will stall before it moves.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I have a manual JKUR

You can turn off the hill start assist. I did when I took delivery of the jeep, and haven't given it a second thought aside from using it to teach my wife how to drive stick.

I've never owned an automatic transmission vehicle until my cherokee, and to be honest, I could not wait to get out of the Cherokee because of it. So my vote is for the manual trans.

Yes the clutch is light, but you will get used to that.

The 3.6 is a completely different animal from the 4.0 of the past. But out of curiosity, what gears were in the sport you were driving? The rubicon should come standard (with manual trans anyway) with 4.10 axle ratio, and that helps a LOT in my opinion.
It's the 3.07 gearing, I believe. I'm wondering if there is an additional hydraulic assist in newer Jeeps that makes the clutch feel feathery.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
As gheller clearly pointed out, the gearing is significantly influencing the torque applied to the rear wheels. One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the weight difference between a TJ and a JKU. It's a big difference. I love the 4.0, but the 3.6 is an excellent engine, and a 4.0 in the JKU would not do noticeably better. Go drive a Rubi with a manual and 4.10 and I think you will be surprised. I suggest keeping the TJ and getting the Rubi. You'll be glad you did.

The 3.6 provides an additional 95 horsepower, to move the heavier Unlimited.

Keeping both isn't an option. I wish it were. I'd have to rent a storage space to keep one in.

Coop

Caught the Bug
The 3.6 provides an additional 95 horsepower, to move the heavier Unlimited.

Keeping both isn't an option. I wish it were. I'd have to rent a storage space to keep one in.

Yeah, I know that's always a problem; space, insurance, maintenance, etc. Just know as I've moved on from choice vehicles, I've looked back with regret knowing I could have found a way to keep a few, possibly. Know your pain, but the JKUR will be such a joy that maybe the remorse will be muted!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
It's the 3.07 gearing, I believe. I'm wondering if there is an additional hydraulic assist in newer Jeeps that makes the clutch feel feathery.
It's most likely a 3.21. The 4.10 in the rubicon will be MUCH better. See if you can find one around and get a test drive. An automatic rubicon will most likely have 3.73 gears as the 4.10 is an option. But the manual should have STD 4.10 gears

gheller

The reason I got the manual is to keep my wife out of the driver seat.

They say its the best theft deterrent system now. Heck, when I took my Jeep in for some warranty issue they had to wait for the one guy that knew how to drive stick, otherwise they would have had me drive it to the bay.

buckweil

They say its the best theft deterrent system now. Heck, when I took my Jeep in for some warranty issue they had to wait for the one guy that knew how to drive stick, otherwise they would have had me drive it to the bay.
You would think working at a dealership they'd either want to learn it and pursue it or already know how to drive it. Glad I drive stick! I have a TJ so can't chime into this conversation much besides saying how much I absolutely love driving stick!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
The salesman at the dealership I went to said the same thing about the valets there. Crazy.

gheller

It's not something that one has to go to school for to learn. I never had any formal instruction, just bought a Celica with a 5spd when I was 18 and learned as I drive it home. I don't get the dilemma today with manuals.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

buckweil

My dad has a 2015 rubi with 4:10 gearing and he loves it and he used to drive muscle cars and trust me he has no trouble getting up and going in it. You'd be extremely happy with it from what I've seen! Pull the trigger on it!

T.McD

i like you came from the TJ world and had bought a 15' 6 sp 2 door JK and 3:73 gears and traded my 99' TJ 5 sp and 4:10 gears. i was so used to the 4l engines and where they give the power and ii commented the same thing as you in the feeling. it just felt soo lite that it was me that was stalling it frequently as i was not used to the feel. it was like when i went from my first jeep an 87' with the old 4.2 and manual to a 94' 4l manual. it felt like i had to wind the rubber band to get it to move.....(carb to fuel injection) once i got the 99 TJ 4l manual i was so used to the feel of the straight 6 that the V6 was way off. i've traded the 2 door manual for a 13' 4 door now, but stayed with the manual as i'm used to it now and it feels the power farther into the rpm then the 4l. the old 4l would tap out at 2500 rpm or it would feel like it was going to explode, but the new JK's power doesn't really come on till 2500 rpm, then you feel it. i've driven the automatic JK's and do like them, but i don't feel at this point that need one.....the wife has no desire to drive the jeep, so i might as well drive what i want.... :)

in saying all that, you will get used to the clutch (if you buy one) and will find the sweet spot that you like. it will allow to merge into traffic so much better once you train and learn the new power band.

Top Bottom